Paul O's 5 Great Years with a Gen1 Cayenne!

Paul O

In other news...

It was my birthday recently, 39 years young. Blimey. Nearly middle aged. :wacko:. For a few years I have been collecting 1:18 scale models of my previous cars and for my birthday my parents bought me the 1:18 scale Cayenne. As with all of my models, the exact details aren't quite the same (all are the correct colour though! :D). In this case the model designation is different (the model is the turbo, my car is the base Cayenne), but the look is pretty much identical including the colour and the wheels.

It's looking great on my display shelf in the office! Here are my cars, past, present and (maybe) future..!

IMG_0263.jpg

Edited by Paul O
  • Like 2

What a lovely idea!

Have often looked for mine - closest I got was a tiny (1:24? 1:30?) model all in black :(   I'd need to respray it orange, but would guess it would just end up looking like I'd dropped it in a paint pot.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mike597 said:

I love it.   I particularly love the fact you have Anubis there to help them acclimatise to being no longer a part of your fleet. 

8 hours ago, Paul O said:

In other news...

It was my birthday recently, 39 years young. Blimey. Nearly middle aged. :wacko:. For a few years I have been collecting 1:18 scale models of my previous cars and for my birthday my parents bought me the 1:18 scale Cayenne. As with all of my models, the exact details aren't quite the same (all are the correct colour though! :D). In this case the model designation is different (the model is the turbo, my car is the base Cayenne), but the look is pretty much identical including the colour and the wheels.

It's looking great on my display shelf in the office! Here are my cars, past, present and (maybe) future..!

IMG_0263.jpg

I like the idea very much.  How do the Ferraris you had compare to the Porsches you had/have?

....he finds they bounce more when they hit the rug in his living room... :)

Paul can you change the circulation for the aircon within the PCM?

...you can do this on our 62 plate KN (so appreciate it may not be a function on an older variant)...you can set hard/soft etc and in the 981 you can also make the vent only push air frontwards, rather than front and upwards (I'm not talking about the normal selector control buttons in the centre console here i.e. feet/front/dash).

On 05/10/2016 at 8:28 PM, Tim_ said:

I like the idea very much.  How do the Ferraris you had compare to the Porsches you had/have?

Hi Tim, unfortunately the Ferrari's are "the ones that got away". :( Each time I had the opportunity to buy I bought another Porsche, as they were a better fit for circumstances at the time. And now they have doubled in value and so out of reach :( Maybe one day, was so close too!

ibe driven a few 360s in my time though and a few friends have them. They are utterly awesome cars. They have aged well and I really like the interior, it looks pretty dateless and robust to my eye, especially compared to the 430 which looks flimsy inside. They sound fantastic, are a hoot to drive and the attention it gets makes you feel like a celebrity.

If you can, I'd recommend one, the experience is on a different level - but so are running costs.

348 - unfortunately not had the pleasure to drive on yet. :(

• 1 month later...

Service Time! [again].

Well, it came around faster than I'd hoped or expected, but with the surprise extra of a 10,000 mile service required on a V6 Cayenne, it was back to Porsche Euro in Barnsley to have it sorted out. I've also recently had a headlight bulb blow (it tells you on the dashboard, which is helpful), so John kindly sorted that out for me too. Just shy of 120 notes later, and my car was serviced, oil changed and service book stamped. Happy days.

Ouch

On the way to the service, there was a huge 'thud' on the roof as I travelled on the country lanes to Porsche Euro and it didn't half make me jump. Nothing untoward with the car, so I presumed something had fallen on the roof from a tree above. A check at Johns place and it proved true - I've now got a dent in my roof. :o . Not best pleased, but rather that than being my head in a convertible! Blimey.

Light Blown. Again.

Well, isn't that typical. After John replaced my headlight bulb last week, the bloomin' sidelight has blown on the same side tonight. I was tempted to have them all replaced at the time, as I find lights have a habit of all blowing in quick succession together but I didn't bother. I watched John replace it though, and its a similar fare to 986 Boxsters, where you have to remove the headlight to replace. So I'll have a go. Watch this space.

Comfort...

I am still extremely happy with the Cayenne, which for a car enthusiast who is always on the hunt for the next thing, gives me mixed emotions of elation that I don't need to spend more money to satisfy a craving, but frustration that I'm not actively keeping up with the Jones'. I don't think I've ever been this happy with a car before. Sure, its pretty old hat now, the external body (a shape that I do like), whilst pretty much immaculate (aside from my previous scrape driving it into the garage, which I still need to have repaired) is showing its age in design when parked next to newer cars and the tech inside definitely looks last-decade.  So that's not cool to impress the neighbours, if you are bothered about such things. But, as I eased my 39 year old buttocks out of a sumptuous cream heated-and-cooled massage leather driving seat of an utterly wonderful, nearly new £90,000 Bentley (more on that in a future update), and plonked them back into my seven grand Porsche, I was surprised to find that getting back in the Porsche was not the come-down you'd expect. It was like putting on your favourite pair of jeans. No matter how luxurious the new pair, those old ones fit like a glove and are still as comfortable as anything new. The engine note is lovely on the Porker too. And whilst a new Cayenne (2009 on) undoubtedly offers more luxury, more refinement, space and comfort, I'm not convinced that it could really provide me £20,000 worth of extra happiness. As a guy who always wants to own the next-thing (keeps me working hard), this isn't positive-bias talking, I'm just yet to find something that's actually worth the extra to change.

And that, in summary, suggests to me that these cars really are an absolute steal.

Happy motoring folks!

Edited by Paul O
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Airbag Failure.

cayenne_airbag_fault.jpg

Ooooh, the little nuisance. We have a new light on the dashboard – one that won’t go away (unlike the “your side light is out” warning previously mentioned, which seems to have fixed itself, must have been a loose connection).

So it’s off again to Porsche Euro in Barnsley. I’ve not booked it in yet, so John will get a call from me next week. The Cayenne is due an MOT as well at the end of February, so my next update will probably include both of those.

A few things needed this year then for the ol’ grey tank:

• Fix the scratch I did last year (stupid, stupid).
• Needs a good clean. Starting to look too ‘lived in’.
• Sort out the airbag warning.
• Sort out the MOT.
• Retrofit Cruise Control – possibly. I’ve been doing a few long jaunts recently – and being drives in this car has made them really quite enjoyable too – but when I drive home in an evening, I do think cruise would be nice. However, that all depends on if the Cayenne stays with us long term.

We might refresh the fleet this year, but we’ll see. We’ve only had the Cayenne and the Beetle a year, with the latter covering about 1,000 miles so far. As such, I’m still very happy with the Cayenne, and wifey still loves her funky Beetle. But we do like shiny bling and so the magpies might go searching for new metal. Lets see what the year brings…

38 minutes ago, Paul O said:
Ooooh, the little nuisance. We have a new light on the dashboard – one that won’t go away (unlike the “your side light is out” warning previously mentioned, which seems to have fixed itself, must have been a loose connection).

So it’s off again to Porsche Euro in Barnsley. I’ve not booked it in yet, so John will get a call from me next week. The Cayenne is due an MOT as well at the end of February, so my next update will probably include both of those.

If you can put up with the airbag warning until a month before your MOT is due, then Porsche & Euro can put a 13 month ticket on the car, to save you making two trips. :)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So, I took my car in to Porsche Euro in Barnsley to have a look at the airbag light. Reassuringly, during the phone call to book in John had said it is probably the connectors (a common fault) - and this proved to be correct!

And as @Araf suggested, I booked the car in for an MOT at the same time, which passed with flying colours, so is good for another 12 months! :rocks: 

John at Euro also read the fault codes on the car and finally the Cayenne has reported against the intermittent parking sensor issue - on my car it is the inner most right-hand-side sensor that is faulty. John has cleared the code and they are working again but I need a new sensor - about £40 plus fitting and painting. A job for another day, but good that we finally know which one it is! :) 

In other news, I have also purchased a new Dyson vacuum cleaner, to sort out the mess in the car. Our current Dyson upright (DC55 - less than 2 years old) is absolutely shyatee, so we now have a cordless rechargeable jobby, which is ideal for cleaning the cars too! I'll report back on how good is fares....

Edited by Paul O
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Paul O said:

And as @Araf suggested, I booked the car in for an MOT at the same time, which passed with flying colours, so is good for another 12 months! :rocks: 

If you're within a month of your MOT, you should now have 13 months on it. :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Just read through this whole thread, and prompted me to take a look at Autotrader.

Am amazed at how good value Cayenne's are!

There seem to be a few fairly local to me for £7-8k with just over 100K, years MOT, with all the toys and choice of either 3.2 or the 4.5 v8. Bargain! There is even a Turbo advertised for a little over £8k.

I've been looking to trade out of my 335d which is my current daily driver into something a little cheaper so I can release some equity for house renovation, whilst also having something a more sizeable for tip runs. Looks like a Cayenne might fit the bill perfectly!

Doesn't look like you've had any bad surprises with yours, aside from the poor fuel consumption are there any big watch outs?

4 hours ago, Elliot_holder said:

....whilst also having something a more sizeable for tip runs. Looks like a Cayenne might fit the bill perfectly!

Will it go under the height restriction barrier at your local tip?

On ‎22‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 4:25 PM, Elliot_holder said:

Just read through this whole thread, and prompted me to take a look at Autotrader.

Am amazed at how good value Cayenne's are!

There seem to be a few fairly local to me for £7-8k with just over 100K, years MOT, with all the toys and choice of either 3.2 or the 4.5 v8. Bargain! There is even a Turbo advertised for a little over £8k.

I've been looking to trade out of my 335d which is my current daily driver into something a little cheaper so I can release some equity for house renovation, whilst also having something a more sizeable for tip runs. Looks like a Cayenne might fit the bill perfectly!

Doesn't look like you've had any bad surprises with yours, aside from the poor fuel consumption are there any big watch outs?

Hi Elliot! I have to say I do love my Cayenne, they are amazing value for the money, and it was purchased for similar reasons to you. So far, no major headaches, which is great news! I don't know about many of the common faults with these cars as I just went balls-deep and purchased on spec. I figured that an inspection on a car this old (and made by Porsche) would bound to have problems found and I'd never actually buy one. Blissful ignorance. :D

However, the one thing I do know is that the 4.5 engines are made by Porsche and therefore do have the known issue that they could lunch themselves without warning - so something to be mindful of. The 3.2 is VW and to my knowledge has no such issues.

I gave my car a good clean last week, here is a picture of the interior. They are certainly hard-wearing, at 12 years old at 115,000 miles, it still looks fab! :rocks:

12-year-old-Cayenne-interior.jpg

Edited by Paul O

Great thread, just binge read it in one go.  I do love a rapid 4x4!  The KN is serious value right now, even the turbo.  Like you say, probably not one for high mileages unless you've got shares in BP but my goodness I bet it rides well - especially on longer journeys.  

I miss cruise control too, never thought I'd say that.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2017 at 8:55 PM, mickemo said:

BTW off topic but check out SEBO vacuume cleaners - a Dyson will feel like cheap carp in comparison 

Bought a 1200w K1 Komfort off the back of the above comment.  Mrs Araf is very pleased with it, I saved £100 on replacing our aging Dyson and daughter #2 gets the old Dyson as it's still better than her Hoover. :)

Thanks @mickemo B) 

• 2 months later...

Window and boot problems.

I was driving the Cayenne last week taking a colleague to the site where my upcoming charity event is being held (Meadowhall, Sheffield - tomorrow if you are interested! Details here). He pressed the button to wind down his window, but rather than rolling down smoothly, it sort of stuttered and flopped half way down and then refused to go back up. With a bit of persuasion we did manage to close it but since then every now and again the window will drop an inch or two of its own accord. The window button has zero effect.

Time to call John at Porsche Euro.

John suggested it would be the window regulator as these wear out and rust over time, resulting in the issue I was describing. Unfortunately its a Porsche-only part so I took a deep breath whilst he priced one up for me. In addition to that, the rear-window hatch opening has been intermittent lately, it felt like the switch was only doing its job on a part-time basis, so John ordered a new switch to be fitted at the same time.

Fast forward to today and both parts have been fixed and fitted and everything is working marvellously once again! John showed me the old window regulator (I should have taken a picture, but I forgot) and the cables and connections were completely rusted.

Total cost to fix both issues was £330. Not a cheap fix then, but one that needed doing and I still love this car so worth it to keep the car in shape for a while yet.

:)