Porsche / Marsh / Aviva insurance - anyone with them?

23 hours ago, RBD914 v2 said:

Researching insurance at the moment and Saga are coming out as the cheapest for decent cover!

Got to be some advantages of getting older!

Also free prescriptions, eye tests, fuel allowance, Christmas bonus, free bus pass, reduced rail travel with a railcard. However, the disadvantages are many, difficulty in climbing the stairs, failing eyesight, memory etc. etc. Youth is wasted on the young.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, richardy said:

Also free prescriptions, eye tests, fuel allowance, Christmas bonus, free bus pass, reduced rail travel with a railcard. However, the disadvantages are many, difficulty in climbing the stairs, failing eyesight, memory etc. etc. Youth is wasted on the young.

Now you know how to hit a guy when he is down, hitting the 50 later this year was shock enough, but still got a few years yet before I get any of the 'freebies'.

5 hours ago, JonsT said:

Now you know how to hit a guy when he is down, hitting the 50 later this year was shock enough, but still got a few years yet before I get any of the 'freebies'.

And sorry to say this JonsT, but they will all probably have been withdrawn in a few years time!

1 hour ago, topradio said:

This may not be popular but the freebies should be stopped right now. They were bribes given away in apparently more affluent times and were never promised at the time the paying in was done. 

You're right, of course; they should be removed,  or at least means-tested.  

However, it's oldies like us who are most likely to vote, so...

15 hours ago, Daniel Joseph said:

Exactly!

• 4 months later...

Interesting thread, I am now looking around at insurance for my 991.2 GTS which arrives in a few weeks.  Has anyone had recent dealings with Aviva/Marsh/Carbon/Locktons?

My present insurer is Aviva and they insist on the tracker being activated which is £235 per year.  This adds considerably to the cost, but their premium is reasonable at under £350 so might still be the best.  Very high excess of £1500 though.  Aviva will let you choose your own repairer but at an additional excess of £200, also windscreen replacement may or may not be OEM part - if not I can get it done at a place of my choice with OEM screen and they will only contribute £110 towards the cost.  So not ideal cover but until I have a couple of other quotes to compare with I don't know how good it is.

Do any of the other insurers now insist on a tracker?  Aviva said it was due to the high value of the car (over £100k), so I might find all insurers will insist on it.  I know a couple of members here have high value 911's so I'd be interested in hearing how you got on @r1flyguy and @JohnSyn if you don't mind telling me?
Gordon.

Obviously my car doesn't fall into that bracket value wise, but the reason I went with Marsh originally was because they were one of the only ones not to insist on a Tracker. I don't want the car back anyway once its been who knows where?

I'm now with Carbon (who sort of took over the Porsche business) and they seem ok, the premium actually fell £10 to approximately £290 and they haven't mentioned a Tracker. 

On ‎18‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 4:29 PM, Daniel Joseph said:

As this thread has been resurrected its interesting to note that this appears to not be true anymore and perhaps the politicians will no longer feel held to ransom by the oldies.

Or, it will now be even worse and the party that promises riches to both the old and the young will get into power.  

55 minutes ago, topradio said:

As this thread has been resurrected its interesting to note that this appears to not be true anymore and perhaps the politicians will no longer feel held to ransom by the oldies.

Or, it will now be even worse and the party that promises riches to both the old and the young will get into power.  

Given the apparent likelihood of another general election, and Macron's success in France from a standing start, I'm thinking of starting a new political party with the slogan:

"Free stuff for everyone, we'll just print the money!"

What do you think, brilliant or what? :bana:

(Sorry for deviation. :offtopic:)

1 hour ago, Daniel Joseph said:

Given the apparent likelihood of another general election, and Macron's success in France from a standing start, I'm thinking of starting a new political party with the slogan:

"Free stuff for everyone, we'll just print the money!"

What do you think, brilliant or what? :bana:

(Sorry for deviation. :offtopic:)

JC has beaten you to it! :D

And yes, could we get back on topic please - I want to talk about insurance!:thumbsup_anim:

3 hours ago, Gorsh said:

Do any of the other insurers now insist on a tracker?  Aviva said it was due to the high value of the car (over £100k), so I might find all insurers will insist on it.  I know a couple of members here have high value 911's so I'd be interested in hearing how you got on @r1flyguy and @JohnSyn if you don't mind telling me?

Hi Gordon

I'm still with Marsh. I have both my cars insured with them, the Macan for 15000 miles per annum and the 991.2 GTS for 7500. I've got the tracker on the 991.2 and it was required by the insurer. Interestingly, as its a second car, the GTS isn't much more to insure than the Macan!. The premium you quote, for your car, is about half what I pay but I do live in South East London! My excess is £400.

On 2/4/2017 at 0:48 PM, JonsT said:

Just an update, anyone with the Porsche / Marsh / Aviva scheme had a letter / new quote yet for 2017? Just had a letter from them this morning informing that the admin is moving from Marsh to Carbon Insurance Brokers, no info why etc, just wondered if anyone had any dealing yet with the new admin and any changes as mine is due very soon, so entering the looking around time.

On 2/4/2017 at 2:39 PM, topradio said:

Yes I got that letter as well. Mine is due for renewal at the end of this month so it will be interesting to see what they quote.

I just got the renewal letter from A Plan this morning for the 986. Its now £180 so up by £10 which is fine by me.

interestingly I had my March/Aviva renewal during the week and it still shows as March/Aviva/Premier Solutions...looking at the letter I got back in May 2017 it simply stated that they were ceasing to trade as Porsche Insurance and instead would be Marsh, plain and simple (no mention of Carbon like you two)

Also my renewal is £369 (last year £360) and the non fault accident last year (tow bar on a 981 thread) seems to have zero effect :thumbsup_still:

2 minutes ago, JohnSyn said:

Hi Gordon

I'm still with Marsh. I have both my cars insured with them, the Macan for 15000 miles per annum and the 991.2 GTS for 7500. I've got the tracker on the 991.2 and it was required by the insurer. Interestingly, as its a second car, the GTS isn't much more to insure than the Macan!. The premium you quote, for your car, is about half what I pay but I do live in South East London! My excess is £400.

Thanks for the info John.  It does seem the high value of the vehicle means having the tracker on, I wouldn't bother otherwise as the annual subscription is expensive in my opinion - plus I'm not sure I want the car back after some tea leaf has hammered it from a cold start.

Our insurance is cheap here, car theft is non existent (so long as you don't leave keys in for a possible joy rider) as they could never get a stolen car off the Island.  There are major drawbacks with the Aviva quote though, very high excess, and I could end up paying the full cost for a OEM windscreen if I needed one, also I'm concerned about them being 'difficult' if I wanted a Porsche Approved company to repair accident damage.

I'm hoping Carbon (I'm told they will be selling Porsche branded cover from September just like Marsh did), Locktons, or maybe AIB can provide better cover even if the cost is a bit more, but I need to wait a couple of weeks as most of their quotes are only valid for 30 days.

5 hours ago, Stuart21UK said:

interestingly I had my March/Aviva renewal during the week and it still shows as March/Aviva/Premier Solutions...looking at the letter I got back in May 2017 it simply stated that they were ceasing to trade as Porsche Insurance and instead would be Marsh, plain and simple (no mention of Carbon like you two)

Also my renewal is £369 (last year £360) and the non fault accident last year (tow bar on a 981 thread) seems to have zero effect :thumbsup_still:

when I asked Stuart, when I changed one of my cars recently, there appears there was some sort of cut off date agreed, in terms of how long you had been with Marsh,  whereby they retained providing the insurance cover but were not the Porsche branded product.

5 hours ago, Gorsh said:

'm hoping Carbon (I'm told they will be selling Porsche branded cover from September just like Marsh did), Locktons, or maybe AIB can provide better cover even if the cost is a bit more, but I need to wait a couple of weeks as most of their quotes are only valid for 30 days.

Might be worth also trying Marsh Gordon, they appear competitive and form my experience provide a good service at a reasonable cost.

Hi @Gorsh im insured through 'Henderson & Taylor' with the 911 & A-plan with the macan.

I have a tracker on both as they spend prolonged periods unused whilst away, albeit the macan is used if SWMBO wants to get out of the company Audi.

There are many reports of car key burglaries at present in the surrounding towns/villages so the tracker is useful however i do agree, the subscription is expensive for effectively doing nothing unless the unfortunate happens and think there should be a joint tracker policy available as to have 2 cars stolen at the same time is bad luck! And i also agree that should one of them be stolen, i wouldnt want it back having witnessed how they are driven in my previous life.

Maybe when the renewal for the macan comes around there are 2 subscriptions i wont renew, tracker & car connect (doesnt have the plus) as i just think connect is a complete waste of money and can count the amount of times on 1 hand i used the 'gimmick' app.

Forgot to mention @Gorsh Henderson & Taylor only insure sports cars thus the macan is insured elsewhere

its £500 excess, porsche approved repairer. And insure for 10k miles per year plus selected track day cover included.

Porsche Club insurance is now Loctons.

I was with Aviva for a few years before switching to AiB with whom I renewed again just before the insurance premium tax rise - which was nice! I did get a quote from Loctons, which was very close and included my Class 1 business cover (photographer), limited mileage allowance of I think 7k and agreed value of £12k (although whether you'd actually get that in not sure).

The windscreen cover I think is an important factor - have heard lots of complaints from folk having had a third party screen fitted only to find one or more of PCM, radio or mobile aerials not working. Or worse still, it simply not fitting properly and leaking!

2 hours ago, Cherished Vehicle Insuranc said:

Hi @Gorsh 

We may be able to help ... we have some fantastic schemes ... feel free to PM me you details or click the link on my signature, either way we will call you back :)

Clare

PM sent Clare

Just renewed with Locktons under the PCGB scheme, but stressing about whether I've done the right thing.... Detaied on another thread below - happy with the policy benefits / premium (agreed value / choice of repairer / EU cover with breakdown cover / trackday cover etc) but due to the 'Competition & Markets Authority Investigation' which the output came into force last year - Locktons now do not use no claims to rate premiums or recognise ncb protection. End result is that if I were to have a fault claim I lose the 9 years ncb I've built up on a second car. Locktons suggest that with one claim it wouldn't make a huge difference to renewal premium next year but obviously things coukd change with ratings in that time. If i were unfortunate enough to have to claim then potentially I'm faced with having to stay with Lockton's (where they are free to abuse via the renewal premium) or faced with the prospect of taking the insurance elsewhere with no ncb & a claim registered within the previous 12 months.... Not an attractive thought either way!

Although I've just renewed I'm thinking of cancelling & going elsewhere where I can protect my ncb...

1 hour ago, Boxstercol said:

Although I've just renewed I'm thinking of cancelling & going elsewhere where I can protect my ncb...

I've yet to hear from Locktons despite filling in their online form a couple of days ago, but I will see what they say about this - it sounds just like another quote I have from a 'high net worth' policy where there is loads of great cover and benefits but at a price - they too don't use the ncb system.

Providing Locktons play fair with you in future you would be OK staying with them.  I am a bit skeptical of the 'protected' part of the ncb system - it's great when you have a few years with no claims, but if you have an 'at fault' accident the price goes up even if it's protected because going elsewhere the claim will load your premium no matter how many years protected ncb you have.  Say you stay with Locktons and you are unfortunate enough to have a fault claim, if they keep to their word you would pay just a little more at renewal.  Then consider if you move and the same happens - you would end up paying a bit more then too in my opinion.  A tricky decision for you.  If you can get equal cover elsewhere (keeping your protected ncb) at a reasonable price then it might be worth moving, but it might be better to stay for this year and shop around in plenty of time for next year - if Locktons have a lot of customers unhappy or leaving they may change their stance by next year.

56 minutes ago, Gorsh said:

I've yet to hear from Locktons despite filling in their online form a couple of days ago, but I will see what they say about this - it sounds just like another quote I have from a 'high net worth' policy where there is loads of great cover and benefits but at a price - they too don't use the ncb system.

Providing Locktons play fair with you in future you would be OK staying with them.  I am a bit skeptical of the 'protected' part of the ncb system - it's great when you have a few years with no claims, but if you have an 'at fault' accident the price goes up even if it's protected because going elsewhere the claim will load your premium no matter how many years protected ncb you have.  Say you stay with Locktons and you are unfortunate enough to have a fault claim, if they keep to their word you would pay just a little more at renewal.  Then consider if you move and the same happens - you would end up paying a bit more then too in my opinion.  A tricky decision for you.  If you can get equal cover elsewhere (keeping your protected ncb) at a reasonable price then it might be worth moving, but it might be better to stay for this year and shop around in plenty of time for next year - if Locktons have a lot of customers unhappy or leaving they may change their stance by next year.

Good points raised Gorsh & thanks for your input ?. I've been driving those nearest & dearest to me mad due to my mutterings about 'what happens if....' scenarios. I'm a natural born worrier & over analyse things & to be honest I'm driving myself mad considering it! 

I did complete a ficticious online quote with LV & with no ncb & a claim within last 12 months the annual premium roseto over£1600 - there is no way I would pay that for a second car doing circa 6/7k miles pa. Mannings offered an ok quote with agreed value, choice of repairer & keeping my ncb intact for only £50 pa more than my renewal, but car would be limited to 5k pa which is a bit lower than I want to be honest. Choices choices....

On ‎23‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 2:10 PM, Gorsh said:

PM sent Clare

Hi Gordon

How did you get on? Happy to chat via pm if that's better.

I'm interested as I've been approached, by our companies insurance broker, about having one of these extra value insurance arrangements where they look after all your insurances and you have a named person to deal with all matters concerning the insurance.

Archived