Lifting and Jacking a Boxster

vroomba

Thought I’d post a quick video on where the jacking points are on a Boxster and how to lift it onto stands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La6i3TwMB8k

Car used:  Porsche Boxster S 986

They'll be a lot of situations where you'll need to get under your car and you'll want to do it safely.

To do this you will need to know where on a car is strong enough to be a lifting point and  where to  safely position stands.  

The quicker and, in my opinion, safer solution is to use a set of ramps.   I'll go through both options.

Here’s  a summary of what we’ll be doing:

1.       Crack wheel nuts

2.       Lift

3.       Place stands

4.       Lower the car

Tools

·         breaker bar

·         socket set

·         locking wheel nut adaptor

·         jack

·         stands

·         ramps

·         torque wrench

I listed the ones I use on my website http://road-and-race.co.uk/tools

1.        If the task you're planning to do requires the wheels to be off then you'll need to loosen the wheel nuts before you lift your car.  Take your breaker bar and attach the correct size socket and turn anti clockwise.  if your car has locking wheel nuts you need the adaptor

2.       Park your car on a level surface. 

3.       Then you’ll need to find a strong enough place on the car to lift it by.   There are two solid mount areas on side of the car.  Check out the video above for where they are.

4.       Most jacks have a release mechanism which allows the jack to lower.   To start you'll need to turn the handle clockwise to lock it ready for lifting.

5.       If you just need to raise the front of the car place you jack on the lifting point near the rear wheel.   Jack until your car is high enough then place a stand under the front lifting point.  Slowly lower the vehicle to rest securely on the stand.  Repeat for the other side.

It’s the opposite approach if you just want to lift the rear of the car but remember to place chocks under the front wheels to stop the car rolling forward.

6.       Now if you need to lift the whole car you’ll need to use a use one of those strong areas we talked about earlier.   On my Porsche you can lift the rear from this point near the differential and the front from this reinforced chassis section.  (please see the video above)

7.       As before place a stand under the jack point and lower the car

8.       Test the car is stable by giving it a moderate push - you want to make sure it’s safe to work under.

9.       The other option is to use ramps.  The disadvantage is that they are more expensive and can only lift one half of the car. They are also no use if you need to take they wheels off.  The advantage is that to use them you simply drive on them so save a lot of time and  I personally feel much safer working under ramps than stands.  I got mine from Race Ramps.

Lowering the car back down is the opposite of the lifting process.  Don’t forget to use a torque wrench to tighten your wheel nuts to the correct torque.  On my Boxster the wheel nuts should be tightened to 130 Nm.

[21]Not recorded yet

[22]Need to record

[23]To record

s01e03 copy.jpg

Useful information regarding strong points for jacking whole car and supporting it on axle stands. I've got a jack, but my axle stands have been stolen by my son and are getting past their sell by date, so what ones are recommended that don't cost an arm and a leg - but are sturdy enough not to lose an arm or a leg when working underneath?

Costco (sorry honestly I don't work for them just a member) Arcan type

13 hours ago, PaulQ said:

Good stuff...........I just looked up the price of those rather nice ramps though !

Yeah, they cost me £377 which is quite expensive.  I'll have them for years and I'm always under the car so I though it was worth it.  They are lovely though - lightweight and very strong.  These were the most expensive they sell, mainly because they are low profile and they split in half for easy storage but they do cheaper options.

• 2 weeks later...

To jack the Boxster up from the rear, do you have a photo of the exact point the jack pad lifts? I just want to make sure I use the right place. Good videos by the way.

On my Engine Oil How To video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1crjE8HDCI) you'll see the area to lift at 1:18.   It's where the vertical support brace meet the horizontal brace.  Lift between the two nuts.

Edited by vroomba

• 1 year later...
18 minutes ago, Tin Pot said:

Can I get a view on this plan?

I have two ramps and two axle stands.  

The plan is to roll the front up the ramps, insert the axle stands, remove the ramps, then change the wheels over.

Is this just to swap your wheels over - summer-winter?

If so I tend to use the rear jacking point with my trolley jack, slot an axle stand under the front jacking point and put a wheel under the rear of the car next to the trolley jack in case it fails.  That way I can swap both wheels on that side without too much effort, then I do the other side...

3 hours ago, rowbos said:

Is this just to swap your wheels over - summer-winter?

If so I tend to use the rear jacking point with my trolley jack, slot an axle stand under the front jacking point and put a wheel under the rear of the car next to the trolley jack in case it fails.  That way I can swap both wheels on that side without too much effort, then I do the other side...

This is what I do as well on all my cars. High lift jack for the suv helps. 

I use the rear jacking point and the an axle stands under front one to lift whole side but the last job required me lifting the whole front end. Any suggestions how ? I jacked one side as normal but then did not have the courage or stupidity to attempt to Jack the other side rear while the car was balanced on one axle stand.  In the end I put the trolley Jack under the other front point and then blocked it up with bits of 2x4 under the Jack arm. Worked, was safe but not ideal. Any suggestions.