IMS....987

mrbikerdood

Ok...just a quickie...do the 987 suffer the same IMS issues as the 986's which ive had the pleasure of? as thinking of trading up if house buying falls through and i may spend my deposit on upgrading :)

Si

Not sure re. 987 IMS but absolutely positive that you should stick your hard-earned in bricks n mortar (and not a sports car that hasn't yet hit the bottom of its depreciation curve, which your current one has).

Good luck with the house, hope it goes through for you.

Cheers, Baggers.

987 started in MY2005, i.e. built from about July 2004. Larger stronger bearing introduced somewhere around early 2006 but no-one seems to know exactly when - though I hinted at it in Duffy's Laymans Chat sticky.

35 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

987 started in MY2005, i.e. built from about July 2004. Larger stronger bearing introduced somewhere around early 2006 but no-one seems to know exactly when - though I hinted at it in Duffy's Laymans Chat sticky.

FWIW MY2006 987S was built in June 2006 as one of the last 3.2S. This was before becoming aware of the IMS issue and  I subsequently asked both OPC Sutton Coldfield (the supplier) and Reading whether the engine had the improved bearing and they both confirmed it had. I ran the car for  8 years without any issues and not a drop of oil used between annual services?

when I bought my first and second 987's I was told by the dealer that they have never (yet) had a single failure on any 987 they have sold..... so fingers crossed mine won't be the first

The later 987's (circa 2006) onwards had the M97 engine with the last iteration of the IMS - a larger single row. Failures have been known but are very rare 

Only way to change the IMS on the M97 is to split the crank case open 

Id buy as late as poss Si or better still get a 987.2 :-)

10 hours ago, Swiller said:

Only buy the house if the 987 falls through.

:)

True houses don't go anywhere but the right 987 don't hang around 

On 17/06/2016 at 9:03 AM, Kevin G said:

FWIW MY2006 987S was built in June 2006 as one of the last 3.2S. This was before becoming aware of the IMS issue and  I subsequently asked both OPC Sutton Coldfield (the supplier) and Reading whether the engine had the improved bearing and they both confirmed it had. I ran the car for  8 years without any issues and not a drop of oil used between annual services?

Ditto: I ran an August 2006 987 2.7 Tiptronic until earlier this year with no IMS problems and was confident enough to sell it to a good friend after a service and inspection.  It was always a little bit "damp" but never dripped oil and the car never needed topping up with oil between services.  By the way, remember that cars first registered after 23 March 2006 incur the CO2 related VED banding, which is roughly twice the annual cost of cars registered before that date.  It might be a price worth paying to be sure of an upgraded IMS bearing.

23 minutes ago, mickemo said:

My 2008 2.7 987 VED cost £285 PA but I think Si may want (NEED) a 3.2 :-)

Hi Mickemo.  So your car's official CO2 output must be less than 225g/km and it's in Band K?  That's interesting.  The 2006 2.7 Boxsters were, I believe, all above that threshold and in band L.  The manual was 229g/km and the Tiptronic was 250g/km.  For 2017/18, the annual VED rates are Band K: £295 and Band L: £500.

Yep, you need to check this carefully if buying a 987 first registered after 23rd March 2006.  Any Boxster registered before this date is automatically classified Band K,  even if its CO2 exceeds 225g/km.  I assume mickemo's car is a five speed manual, which just sneaks in below the threshold.  Other 2008 Boxsters exceed the threshold and are Band L.  I was aware of the issue when I bought mine, but it was too good a car to pass up for an extra £250 a year VED.

My 987 is a June 2005 registered 3.2.

There seems to be differing opinions on when the larger bearing was fitted & by all accounts you can only definately see when the gearbox is out.

My OPC has suggested that I've got the larger bearing fitted in mine - apparently due to the centre nut size on the IMS seal which was checked on the parts system with my engine number. To be honest, I'm not 100% convinced either way.

On ‎16‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 11:08 PM, mrbikerdood said:

Ok...just a quickie...do the 987 suffer the same IMS issues as the 986's which ive had the pleasure of? as thinking of trading up if house buying falls through and i may spend my deposit on upgrading :)

Si

I think (I could be wrong, it's happened before!) the IMS was removed completely in 2009 with the DFi engine, 9A1 or something like that.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I have a 987 3.2S manufactured in November 2004 on a 54 plate, it's gona need a new clutch soon and this IMS issue got me thinking it would be good idea to replace it at that point as I'm getting paronid about it failing, and as I understand it can be changed quite easily during a clutch replacement once the fly wheel has been removed.

2 minutes ago, GT Silver said:

Hi all, I have a 987 3.2S manufactured in November 2004 on a 54 plate, it's gona need a new clutch soon and this IMS issue got me thinking it would be good idea to replace it at that point as I'm getting paronid about it failing, and as I understand it can be changed quite easily during a clutch replacement once the fly wheel has been removed.

thats a very early 987 you have mate  one of the first batch i think  ........i think they used the  facelift 986 3.2 .........i may be wrong :blink:

I have a 2005 s - the car runs fine so far now since ive had it

As mentioned by someone else before 

On 17/06/2016 at 10:03 AM, Kevin G said:

my 2005 - touch wood has no problems yet

I too have a car that does not consume any oil between annual services !

Speaking from experience.......

as everyone has said the later 3.2's and 3.4's onwards are not known for issues. If you're considering (or anyone here has) an early 3.2 then go not hesitate to get the IMS upgrade. I suffered a bearing failure on my 2005 987 3.2 S, car had 50k misled, full main dealer history and there was no warning. I was on a drive day with PCGB and poof! Gone! Sounded like some one had dropped a bag of marbles in a tumble dryer. £10000 later I have a future proof Hartech lump propelling me around. Moral of the story is........a stitch in time saves 9.......thousand pounds ????

11 hours ago, Tim Roelich said:

Speaking from experience.......

as everyone has said the later 3.2's and 3.4's onwards are not known for issues. If you're considering (or anyone here has) an early 3.2 then go not hesitate to get the IMS upgrade. I suffered a bearing failure on my 2005 987 3.2 S, car had 50k misled, full main dealer history and there was no warning. I was on a drive day with PCGB and poof! Gone! Sounded like some one had dropped a bag of marbles in a tumble dryer. £10000 later I have a future proof Hartech lump propelling me around. Moral of the story is........a stitch in time saves 9.......thousand pounds ????

Tim

Did you have any oil usage between services ?

Nothing at all, there was literally no warning. Folks aren't confusing the RMS with the IMS are they? The RMS (rear main oil seal) is known for leaking due to the design of the flat 6 engine , more so on 986 engines than 987. The the IMS issues on the 987s are all because of the insufficiency of the main bearing, it fails inexplicably resulting in catastrophic damage to the engine internals. The bearing basically siezes and grinds itself to pieces, these tiny fragments of metal mix with the oil and are distributed through the engine. If you're lucky the engine needs disassembled, cleaned and rebuilt with new parts that suffered contamination such as timing chains, chain guides etc... If you're not lucky it's a complete new engine. Rebuild was just shy of £10000, new engine from Porsche is £12500.

Buy a Porsche they said, it'll be fun they said...?

Archived