How to: Remove and clean the Throttle Body and MAF Sensor

vroomba

Keep the car running smoothly and potentially get back some lost performance by cleaning the Throttle Body and Mass Air Flow sensor

The throttle body controls air flow into the engine and will open and close when you press or release the accelerator pedal.

The MAF or Mass Air Flow sensor is a device that measures the density of the air coming into the engine from the air intake. This data is used by the car’s computer to help correctly control engine fuelling.

Over time these will get dirty so if you think your car is running a bit sluggish or worse stalling or in limp mode then cleaning them may cure this problem.

Car used Porsche Boxster S 2001 986

My step by step guide here:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi ,

i desperately need need some help. I've just cleaned the throttle body as per the instructions and now my car is running rough, kangaroo hopping and cutting out!

I'd appreciate any help possible as before I did this it was running supremely smooth and I only attempted this as its done 93K and I hadn't a clue as to if it had been cleaned before.

Now when I start it the car cuts out.

Help!

When I was cleaning the throttle body the hose to the air intake (leading to the air filter) became dislodged however I refitted it to no vacuum leak. I didn't clean the maf as I didn't have the correct torx adapter (the ones on my car had a little indentation in the middle so my torx wouldn't sit in)

i'm kicking myself as I've had the car for 1.5 months and it was running smoothly before!

RAC on the way. Incidentally since I cleaned the throttle body I've come across a raft of people on ten 'net who have had the same issues as I've had after cleaning it.

i think in the future I'm going to be reactive as opposed to pro active when it comes to the internal workings of the engine!

Are you sure you have both of the vacuum pipes pushed back in? After cleaning mine it was running as lumpy as erm a camel(?) I found a vacuum hose had become detached, there were 2 similar hoses, one for each bank. Re-fitting the pipe made everything just fine. 

I hope you find a fix soon.

• 1 month later...

Anyone else have experience of cleaning the throttle body and want to give feedback, good or bad? I guess it's one of those where all being well, people do it and it works fine so they don't comment, whereas those that do have issues raise it on forums such as these.

I was due to do mine this weekend, but a little reluctant now. 

9 minutes ago, Hughsehhh said:

Anyone else have experience of cleaning the throttle body and want to give feedback, good or bad? I guess it's one of those where all being well, people do it and it works fine so they don't comment, whereas those that do have issues raise it on forums such as these.

I was due to do mine this weekend, but a little reluctant now. 

I did mine a couple of weeks ago as it had to come off to access the PS pump. I was a bit foxed when I found a vacuum pipe at each side, but turns out this is only for Tip cars. There is a nut holding the TB to the engine which was tricky to remove as access under the TB was tight. Cleaning was straightforward with a bit of carb cleaner, but there was a fair bit of oil in the black tube leading to the inlets, so I think my AOS maybe past it's best, but I didn't want to get further involved and left it for another day. Re-assembled and took it for a good thrash and all worked fine. Haven't touched the MAF as it seems to be working fine. Maybe when I change the AOS I'll give it a clean.

I only did mine as I had to take it off anyway. Not sure I'd bother taking it out just to clean it if the car is otherwise running well. Always the risk you'll disturb of break something as chap above did.

2 hours ago, Nobbie said:

I did mine a couple of weeks ago as it had to come off to access the PS pump. I was a bit foxed when I found a vacuum pipe at each side, but turns out this is only for Tip cars. There is a nut holding the TB to the engine which was tricky to remove as access under the TB was tight. Cleaning was straightforward with a bit of carb cleaner, but there was a fair bit of oil in the black tube leading to the inlets, so I think my AOS maybe past it's best, but I didn't want to get further involved and left it for another day. Re-assembled and took it for a good thrash and all worked fine. Haven't touched the MAF as it seems to be working fine. Maybe when I change the AOS I'll give it a clean.

I only did mine as I had to take it off anyway. Not sure I'd bother taking it out just to clean it if the car is otherwise running well. Always the risk you'll disturb of break something as chap above did.

That's useful info. I have the 2.5, cable controlled throttle, but otherwise the process will be the same. 

About 6 months ago when stopped at the lights, the revs really hunted and woudnt idle. It's only happened the once in 10k miles, so I expect giving it a bit of a boot has cleared things. I also cleaned the maf at the time, which is very easy. Maybe I'll leave it then 

Archived