What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

1 hour ago, Crazymind said:

Doesn’t look very neat and it seems not exactly well executed.  Or is it just the photo/angle?

OK, so I won't be helpful and show my working in future.....  Please look at the top picture (reproduced below) for the 'customer' facing elevation, the rest are the 'sausages being made' which you are apparently uncomfortable with.

p3shqhv.jpg?1 

• Like 3

I had not used my car for a week or so, then the snow arrived and then I got flu (Or Covid as it is now called) and been out of action for the last 10 days or so. 

Anyway, went out to the car today expecting the battery to be dead after the cold weather and sat for nearly a month with no Ctek or anything, and.......fired up straight away! 

Went out for a couple of hours in it yesterday, hood down 16.5ºc, superb! 

Went out again today and did 100 miles just on the B roads.

Came back and gave the hood a good scrub, then applied some dye to it as well. Will see how it looks in the morning, se if it needs another coat. 

I have been offered a 996 C4, which makes far more sense for us, being 3 of us and a dog. But I am seriously smitten with the Boxster since the suspension refresh and 235 section rear tyres, certainly no lack of grip and feels far more sprightly, so really not sure. 

19 minutes ago, gIzzE said:

Went out for a couple of hours in it yesterday, hood down 16.5ºc, superb! 

Went out again today and did 100 miles just on the B roads.

Came back and gave the hood a good scrub, then applied some dye to it as well. Will see how it looks in the morning, se if it needs another coat. 

I have been offered a 996 C4, which makes far more sense for us, being 3 of us and a dog. But I am seriously smitten with the Boxster since the suspension refresh and 235 section rear tyres, certainly no lack of grip and feels far more sprightly, so really not sure. 

I have a 1 year old and another on the way and you might say a 911 makes sense. I've got no draw to one and actually to move the family I wouldn't choose a 911. Let's face it how often do you really properly drive when others are in the car.

I think it is more a case of I would like to use the Porsche more. 

I have a an F11 530d Touring for family duties, but if it is just my wife and I with the dogs, if we go up to the coast to walk them it would be great to be able to take the Porsche. 

I had a Z4 coupe before, and that would easily cope with the dog in the back, we used it a lot more. 

I guess, it is also the fact I am loving the 986, and thinking if I don't pull the trigger on a 996 now, I might never get the chance. I can see the prices only going one way. 
This is at a price I can do a complete suspension rebuild, refinish the leather seats and put miles on it without caring. Oh, and it is 15 miles down the road as well. Haha

But, having said all that, I am loving the Boxster. 

After taking it (a very) long way round to the shops today I get stuck in with the rear top mount replacement.  Oh I so wish I'd not been a cheap skate when I did the rear suspension last year.  One side stripped, mount changed and bad light stopped play after about 2¾ hours as I was trying to re connect the drive shaft to the gearbox out put flange.  The shock tube still put up a good fight to get it out of the upright but a heck of a lot easier than the old shock.  Hopefully the other side will be a lot quicker tomorrow and I will also have time to fit the 'technobrace' I got from @bally4563 and possibly even the 997 gear shift, also from Mick.  Have to take off the front bumper PU to get it to the paint shop on Monday am for a respray, a split in the paint and peeling lacquer from a PO's previous poor respray....

On 2/23/2021 at 10:52 PM, ½cwt said:

OK, so I won't be helpful and show my working in future.....  Please look at the top picture (reproduced below) for the 'customer' facing elevation, the rest are the 'sausages being made' which you are apparently uncomfortable with.

p3shqhv.jpg?1 

Hi

I think that looks very well done indeed. Much better than I did, mind you mine is a facelift so it was a bit more of a PITA I think.

Berni

Hi Guys

I changed the selector switch on the side of my Tip gearbox yesterday and the back box for a very nice condition standard one today. All in all quite intense! Oh and fixed a bad earth in the headlights.

All the best

Berni

This I believe is called a flexible hose clamp remote pliers or similar, it’s been invaluable on more than one occasion. 
as I said if it’s a facelift Boxster it’s not a drama but I believe the pre facelift is a bit more tricky, and you may not need this. 
Vc7Ld7i.png

Edited by Halfordwill

11 minutes ago, Halfordwill said:

This I believe is called a flexible hose clamp remote pliers or similar, it’s been invaluable on more than one occasion. 
as I said if it’s a facelift Boxster it’s not a drama but I believe the pre facelift is a bit more tricky, and you may not need this. 
Vc7Ld7i.png

Thanks, mines a 988.2, but I have am sure someone mentioned a similar tool when they replaced their AOS and I forgot to ask then.

Next time I take the engine cover off I will see if this would help.

On my AOS there is a curved pipe that comes out of the bottom held in place at each end by a hose clamp which is released using this clamp. The main difference is that the AOS is fixed by two bolts accessed from the top. 
I just followed the write up in pedros garage. 

Completed the work swapping the rear top mounts for new.  Now all suspension components except the rear tuning forks and rear springs are new in the last year.  On test drive all squeaks, rattles etc have gone!  Rear geo was a mile out so not ably to push the limits.

Technobrace/Ballybrace fitted. Supplied by @bally4563, a nicely machined component and dropped straight it with no fettling or only just getting bolts in (a thoroughly recommended accessory), I can confirm that the rear ARB mounts to need t be un done to create a bit of extra room for the brace to get into position on a 986 at least.  Maybe placebo as has been said and give the geo was out the full effect couldn't be tested but something seems more stable and controlled in the back end with the brace in place.

Front bumper off and grilles, trims, number plate an plinth all removed ready to go to the paint shop in the morning for a nice fresh coat of Arctic Silver.

2 hours ago, Crazymind said:

Rear passenger side bit squeaky today after a short drive. 
Had a look and ball joint is shot. What else to replace when I am going to do the job?

E8-A23869-3902-444-A-A056-CF6-CDA08-F8-E

Both sides for a start, the other won’t be far behind , and control arms(tuning forks) plus check drop links, arb bushes ,makes shopping list , source at the right price, then crack on.

3 hours ago, Crazymind said:

Rear passenger side bit squeaky today after a short drive. 
Had a look and ball joint is shot. What else to replace when I am going to do the job?

18 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

Both sides for a start, the other won’t be far behind , and control arms(tuning forks) plus check drop links, arb bushes ,makes shopping list , source at the right price, then crack on.

And you will need heat at some point, probably on the drop link bolts into the upright casting and, if the rear geo hasn't been done regularly, the eccentric bolts on the inboard end of the coffin arms will most likely need cutting out. 

I have done all my suspension in the last 12 month and 3 or 4 drop links and all 4 of the eccentric bolts on the rear rear arms all needed cutting.

Recommend Spyder Performance on eBay for coffin arms and front tuning forks I got drop links (along with shocks, bump stops and a few other bits as I was doing a lot more than coffin arms) from Autodoc and the replacement eccentric bolts from my local OPC.  Rear tuning forks from Carparts4less TRW (original supplier to Porsche) are about £150.

5 minutes ago, Berni29 said:

Hi

I think the rear braces are a great idea. I am on the lookout for a renline one. The standard technobrace wont fit a Tip (which my car is).

Berni

There's a challenge for you @bally4563