What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

Up at 06:00 hrs and into Malaga for the ITV (MOT) at 07:19hrs. Rather annoyingly my car failed on the tinted side windows. The very same ones that passed no problem last year. It is such a subjective test more based on how your vehicle conforms to standard spec or homologation. I have had many run ins with them with another car I have (exhaust, valence, suspension, air filter, spoiler etc) so the experience is not new. The widow tints were fitted by the previous owner and were of a subtle shade and of good quality. I would not have fitted them but I grew to like them.

Got home and ripped them off, then the fun started trying to remove the glue:bored::bored:. A combination of acetone and insect spray with a large dose of elbow grease eventually did the trick:rolleyes:

New ITV (just to check the windows) booked for 08:36 hrs tomorrow, so bit of a lie in lol. 

Guess I should be grateful they never picked up on the rear under spoiler which I fitted, as they would take a dim view of that.

I picked her up from the garage after hearing that after extensive testing there is no misfire. Whoop whoop! 

And the icing on the cake, I kissed her as the knock I heard in stiff corners turned out to be the spare wheel moving around. She is tight and as potent as ever. 

Im going to give her a shower shortly, and put her to bed. 

8 minutes ago, Loz987 said:

I picked her up from the garage after hearing that after extensive testing there is no misfire. Whoop whoop! 

And the icing on the cake, I kissed her as the knock I heard in stiff corners turned out to be the spare wheel moving around. She is tight and as potent as ever. 

Im going to give her a shower shortly, and put her to bed. 

Are you still talking about your car? :huh:

• Like 3

Took her home to Ireland to be garaged for the winter but I am not even into the first weekend back in the UK without her and I am missing her, I don't think this separation is going to last as long as originally intended.

2 hours ago, Hotcoles said:

Took mine on a drive over the buttertubs pass. Bit underwhelmed by the buttertubs bit but ingleton to hawes was very pleasant!

Via the ribblehead viaduct?11D52B10-BD91-4C0C-BA25-65E23F4EF392.jpg

a great strip of the black stuff???

did you find the courtyard dairy at the end of the settle bypass? Insanely good! 

A47AF500-878A-4825-AC6E-A0DCD43F9449.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Loz987 said:

Via the ribblehead viaduct?11D52B10-BD91-4C0C-BA25-65E23F4EF392.jpg

a great strip of the black stuff???

did you find the courtyard dairy at the end of the settle bypass? Insanely good! 

A47AF500-878A-4825-AC6E-A0DCD43F9449.jpg

You mean this....

Didn't go to the Courtyard, but I know where you mean.  I did however, get some Blue Wensleydale from Hawes.  Well, why wouldn't you!

Ribblehead.jpg

Caught the edge of my toolbox on the passenger door................  Yes, the one I had to have beautifully repainted last summer at huge expense by Porsche approved bodyshop after scraping it on a wall.

Will I ever learn to be less careless  ?   :(

Scared the s*** out of myself, started her up, got out to get something, getting back in managed to stand on the accelerator, max revs :(
Did it once before whilst sat inside trying to get something out of my pocket, but at least she was warmed up that time, only been running about 20 seconds this time. I'm sure she sounds louder and a bit 'rougher' now, but probably my paranoid mind

2 hours ago, drumsterphil said:

Took my dear mother out in it - "ooh, it sounds good and it's much nicer than your father's BMW Z4"....

Apparently dad is now checking Autotrader for 987's.....

For what its worth I've had a Z4 and hated every minute of it, they're not a patch on a Boxster IMO

17 hours ago, sential said:

Scared the s*** out of myself, started her up, got out to get something, getting back in managed to stand on the accelerator, max revs :(
Did it once before whilst sat inside trying to get something out of my pocket, but at least she was warmed up that time, only been running about 20 seconds this time. I'm sure she sounds louder and a bit 'rougher' now, but probably my paranoid mind

I did similar when I did the carpet swap in mine - the 2.5 has a cable throttle and it wasn't seated quite right.  Mrs shat herself :lol:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mike G said:

For what its worth I've had a Z4 and hated every minute of it, they're not a patch on a Boxster IMO

Tbh I've driven it a few times and, apart from the truly horrible eps, I don't think it was that bad. It's more mini-GT than sports car and certainly suits those looking for a more relaxed driving experience.

It was driving that that made me decide that I needed an NA engined car again, so it had its uses. Both the Porsche and BMW engines are gorgeous.

Fitted some new ARB bushes today!

Followed the video on here and overall it is quite straightforward but it is a lot more awkward to slide the old bushes towards the wheel than it shows on the video!

Its amazingly tight on space and I was struggling against the cooling duct on the lower arm but I did manage to do it!

I wouldn't say don't change them yourself but allow yourself a bit of time for fliddling about but if you're car is going in for other work I would get them to fit them.

It may of been easier if you had a decent set of drive on ramps, I was on axle stands and would of preferred a bit more height.

I changed the rear ARB bushes last weekend and they are a lot easier to change although I find it hard to believe you can change them without raising the car....

43 minutes ago, drumsterphil said:

Tbh I've driven it a few times and, apart from the truly horrible eps, I don't think it was that bad. It's more mini-GT than sports car and certainly suits those looking for a more relaxed driving experience.

It was driving that that made me decide that I needed an NA engined car again, so it had its uses. Both the Porsche and BMW engines are gorgeous.

Yep, good car the Z4.

That 3L engine sounds lovely :)

17 hours ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

Fitted some new ARB bushes today!

Followed the video on here and overall it is quite straightforward but it is a lot more awkward to slide the old bushes towards the wheel than it shows on the video!

Its amazingly tight on space and I was struggling against the cooling duct on the lower arm but I did manage to do it!

I wouldn't say don't change them yourself but allow yourself a bit of time for fliddling about but if you're car is going in for other work I would get them to fit them.

It may of been easier if you had a decent set of drive on ramps, I was on axle stands and would of preferred a bit more height.

I changed the rear ARB bushes last weekend and they are a lot easier to change although I find it hard to believe you can change them without raising the car....

Where did you get the ARB bushes from? Are they standard? How much? I think my rear ones need replacing, but the only ones I can find on EBay are the uprated ones.

I'm sure GSF do them too, just no direct link on their site.

however, design 911 are £11.39+ Vat

http://www.design911.co.uk/fu/pt385_386_-cma81-cmo82-ct289/Porsche/Boxster-986-987-981/Boxster-S-986-32L-1999-02/Anti-Roll-Bar-Bushes/

Fronts a re £5+vat

Edited by Patt

I used her to go to work today - it was one of the most fustrating expereinces of my life. The engine comes alive over 4k rpm, but there just isnt enough road to get up to speed!

Even in Swindon - the traffic is horendous and white van man especially loves trying to touch the back of my car with thier bumpers. The roads are clogged and you just cant make any progress. I even got started from a set of traffic lights in 4th gear as i had lost the will to live.

Does anyone actually use thier car for commuting ?