What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

On 7/18/2021 at 8:45 AM, Bradders59 said:

At 2.45 a.m got out of bed because the alarm had gone off. No idea why but the wife was seriously p*ssed off, and the neighbours probably even more so.

Might find out this morning !

Poor old Bradders.

Didnt you let SWMBO know you were going on a Boxster run and had set the clock for 2.45 as the meet was so far away!

Dave

• Haha 1

Replaced the blown "Airbag" bulb in the dash. The new bulb stays on permanently, which may be why it had a blown bulb fitted. 

Another electrical issue to fix by the look of it. The Germans / Finns seem worse than the French / Italians for electrics.

4 minutes ago, Bradders59 said:

Replaced the blown "Airbag" bulb in the dash. The new bulb stays on permanently, which may be why it had a blown bulb fitted. 

Another electrical issue to fix by the look of it. The Germans / Finns seem worse than the French / Italians for electrics.

Get a proper Porsche tester on it to test the module.

Had PIWIS on it a couple of weeks ago, which gave a code relating to the lamp not operating. I suppose now the lamp is working, there will be another code thrown up to point to the real problem.

May well have to pay another visit to the man with the PIWIS in the near future.

Look up the durametric map. May be a member here with durametric who can reset it for you. 

5 minutes ago, Guy Wilkinson said:

I used Foxwell NT530 to reset airbag light..

It also allows a lot of durametric -PIWIS functions (turn on fans/switch engine valves etc)

iCarsoft POR v1 and POR v2 also have airbag reset function.

4 hours ago, Bradders59 said:

Might be the wrong bulb, there are two types both the same physical size, but different wattage.

22 hours ago, Bradders59 said:

Not according to BoXa. Sorry, it’s your car in particular. The most common issue here is water ingress, perhaps followed by mice, or dodgy aftermarket stereo/lighting installs. 

Edited by Menoporsche
  • Like 1

On 7/26/2021 at 11:32 AM, Bradders59 said:

Might be on if an airbag has been disconnected/reconnected with the battery connected.  As others have said the right diagnostic tool will confirm the problem and if there isn't one it can be cleared.

Have had next to no electrical problems on my 986 which is far from cosseted - those that have cropped up have been 12v battery replacement after periods of low use/very cold weather, key fob batteries, 1x level sensor failure on LItronic system, lambda sensors plus coil packs and the odd tired/blown bulb those aside nothing else in well over 10 years ownership.

Replaced both front top mounts, bearings, bumps stops and drop links, after recently doing the coffin arms, control arms, inner and outer tie rods.   feels like a brand new Porsche!   well at the front anyway.. still a but clunky at the back but will get on to that next!   

13 hours ago, joeluth said:

Replaced both front top mounts, bearings, bumps stops and drop links, after recently doing the coffin arms, control arms, inner and outer tie rods.   feels like a brand new Porsche!   well at the front anyway.. still a but clunky at the back but will get on to that next!   

Good work. The real reward comes it when it is all done.

13 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Good work. The real reward comes it when it is all done.

Thanks man! it's been emotional, but as you say the Boxster really rewards your efforts, it responds so well to a bit of tlc and some new bits!   

Ive had the ECU under the seat inspected and there was no sign that it had ever had water ingress, although it had been worked on at some point in the past for reasons unknown.

Had a diagnostic session with a local member a couple of weeks ago. Cant remember which type of machine it was, but it cost him £2500, second hand about 5 years ago. Quite a big screen with a bright green surround if thats a clue ? LOL.

Faults diagnosed were Airbag fault 01. Apparently relating to airbag light. I found a blown bulb and replaced it, but now it stays on all the time.

Alarm faults relating to trunk, frunk, radio and storage compartment.

Central locking fault relating to passenger door.

As the passenger door module is known to fail I replaced it with a new pattern part hoping it would solve the issue of immediately unlocking itself when locked, but its had no effect.

Electrics has never been my forte, but I shall persevere and hopefully resolve things in the end.

Thanks for the various suggestions and ideas  and please keep them coming.

It gives me pointers in where to look etc.

1 hour ago, Bradders59 said:

Ive had the ECU under the seat inspected and there was no sign that it had ever had water ingress, although it had been worked on at some point in the past for reasons unknown.

Had a diagnostic session with a local member a couple of weeks ago. Cant remember which type of machine it was, but it cost him £2500, second hand about 5 years ago. Quite a big screen with a bright green surround if thats a clue ? LOL.

Faults diagnosed were Airbag fault 01. Apparently relating to airbag light. I found a blown bulb and replaced it, but now it stays on all the time.

Alarm faults relating to trunk, frunk, radio and storage compartment.

Central locking fault relating to passenger door.

As the passenger door module is known to fail I replaced it with a new pattern part hoping it would solve the issue of immediately unlocking itself when locked, but its had no effect.

Electrics has never been my forte, but I shall persevere and hopefully resolve things in the end.

Thanks for the various suggestions and ideas  and please keep them coming.

It gives me pointers in where to look etc.

Can't help thinking your first paragraph points to where you should be looking. There should be no reason 'to work on' the alarm system. ☹️

15 minutes ago, Bradders59 said:

I hope your wrong, but you may be right. 

JMG Porsche have a good database of knowledge on the workings of the 986/996 alarm system. May be worth at least giving them a call. @Indi9xx or @Indi9xx1 on here. Look up his posts and links.

The wife's in Yorkshire  with the 986. Text me to say  she's locked the keys  in the boot! Rang Porsche  in Hull they would  have to get the car in and on a ramp to help.  She rang RAC out in 40mins, plate off and boot opened in 10 mins. Good  service I feel. Asked  if  she was travelling down tonight. Replied it will  be dark before she's  home and She  doesn't  know  were the light  switch  is!! Only been  driving  it 3years. Or doesn't  want to come home?