What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

1 hour ago, Ol' Shatterhand said:

https://ibb.co/nwg9tym

With the cables now properly aligned, the shift accuracy and fluidity is back! Gears engage positively and correctly, every time. It's amazing how much difference the cable tension adjustment being off by a couple of threads can make. Using the shifter alignment tool, all my problems have been sorted. Removing the centre console and putting it back again was a much speedier affair second time round, even though this time I opted to also remove the cubby hole unit under the radio. Re-installing the console I took care to get an extra half a milimetre of clearance between the handbrake and the console plastic in front of it, a small but all-important difference. Pretty pleased with my work.

Some more opinions on the shift-right kit: the gear change now feels very good, but there is still a tiny bit of play in the gear lever. I have traced this to play inside the fore and aft bearings of the upgrade kit. Nothing I can't live with, definitely better that the old nylon bushes, but a bit disappointing when Function First even go to trouble to include shim tape in the kit to eliminate play between the bearing cylinders and the surrounding plastic frame they slot into.

I am now very happy with the car, it is in perfect working order.

My test drive was very satisfying,  despite the weekend traffic and the grime (I was constantly spurting washer fluid on the windscreen) and since I had the roof down I can also confirm that the Thermatouch insulated smart gloves I bought on impulse at the gas station were an excellent purchase and great for driving. 

IMG-20220122-104132.jpg

19 minutes ago, RalphyBMW said:

How much was the shifter alignment tool? Do you have a part no?

I’m planning to swap to a 9x7 shifter, looks like this would make it easier to get it right first time?

The shifter adjusting bridge was £2.29 from the OPC. Well worth getting in touch with them directly  as Design911 and other sellers on ebay will try to flog it to you for much more!

It is part no. 996.424.395.03, but I think you will need a different but similar green plastic part for a 9x7.

1 minute ago, Ol' Shatterhand said:

The shifter adjusting bridge was £2.29 from the OPC. Well worth getting in touch with them directly  as Design911 and other sellers on ebay will try to flog it to you for much more!

It is part no. 996.424.395.03, but I think you will need a different but similar green plastic part for a 9x7.

Excellent, thanks

Next daft question; did you find any instructions on how to do it properly?

3 hours ago, RalphyBMW said:

Excellent, thanks

Next daft question; did you find any instructions on how to do it properly?

I did the 9x6 to 9x7 shift swap a year or so ago.  It is absolutely fool proof if you have the alignment tool.  Borrowed the tool from @bally4563 who I bought the 9x7 shift from so not sure if a different one for 9x6 and 9x7, but for a couple of quid or so from your local OPC I'm sure they'll give you the right one if you explain what you are doing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Boxster is officially my wife's car (mine's the Cayenne 957). Today is her birthday and her presents are new genuine floormats and new wheel centres. 

Romance isn't dead yet. 

Flowers and cooking her favourite meal later though. 

3 hours ago, Milko said:

The Boxster is officially my wife's car (mine's the Cayenne 957). Today is her birthday and her presents are new genuine floormats and new wheel centres. 

Romance isn't dead yet. 

Flowers and cooking her favourite meal later though. 

Presumably includes Mobil 1 and Shell V-Power as ingredients? 🤔

My wife is vegan so it's Crispy Chilli Tofu topped with seeds and spring onion on rice- a Bosh Recipe. Its nice and sticky because of the orange juice in the sauce.

The sriracha chilli sauce adds a certain get up and go to it. Sriracha is the V-Power of chilli sauces whereas Sweet Chilli Sauce is more like E10. 

I do all the cooking not her and I even mucked out and bought the horse in tonight after work. Piccy of daughter on horse. 

0b83c7c5-bf60-4a24-a841-00f3b5a06c0d.JPG

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Milko said:

My wife is vegan so it's Crispy Chilli Tofu topped with seeds and spring onion on rice- a Bosh Recipe. Its nice and sticky because of the orange juice in the sauce.

The sriracha chilli sauce adds a certain get up and go to it. Sriracha is the V-Power of chilli sauces whereas Sweet Chilli Sauce is more like E10. 

I do all the cooking not her and I even mucked out and bought the horse in tonight after work. Piccy of daughter on horse. 

0b83c7c5-bf60-4a24-a841-00f3b5a06c0d.JPG

Good effort!

Did headlight restoration with the 3m kit, has turned out OK, might have to have another go in daylight hours, as the garage light wasn't great. Also ordered a new front number plate mount, as wheen doing the lights, I noticed it was cracking. 

Replaced the engine and transmission mounts, there was a distinct catch / clunk sensation changing from 1st to 2nd, I changed the engine mount first, and it was better but still wasn't right,  replacing the 2 transmission mounts has sorted it, smooth and solid shifting now! 

23 minutes ago, Halfordwill said:

Nice can I ask where you got them from and how much. I did my engine mount last year and was planning the gearbox ones this year 

sure mate, I'll dig out the order info and zap it over later on

Yesterday I attempted to do my very first oil change on any car, it started like this...

Went to the petrol station with a jerry can to get some fresh fuel.

Put fuel and fuel cleaner in car

Had to inflate front tyre as it was flat.

Pulled car out of tent.

Proceeded to warm up car while working on faulty side light.

Notice coolant p*ssing out of the bottom of car.

Open boot to find full of water.  New cap on order.

Thought I might as well do the oil change as its warmed up.

Jacked car up, put on stands.

Oil filter removal tool too small ( thanks Euros).

Lower car, put in tent, go back indoors slightly annoyed.

17 hours ago, Halfordwill said:

Thanks👍

Hi Will

So it was project 36 in the 101 projects book.

It says to use the stock 993 transmission mount - part number is 993.375.049.05

Not immediately easy to find as the book is a little old now,  but I did find the updated part over at design 911 here - https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod149410/Engine-Mount-Porsche-996-1997-05_2/?source=doofinder

These are £96 quid each, whereas the genuine mounts inc brackets are about £240 each.

Just 2 things to be aware of if you go down this route, be careful not to bend the bracket when you remove the mount, I got a large adjustable spanner to hold it still whilst I used an impact wrench to get the nut off, no probs, but I saw someone on YouTube use a breaker bar whilst standing on the bracket and he bent it!  

The other thing to be aware of is that the new updated part (linked above) has a longer bolt than the original part, I didn’t realise until I tried to re-fit it to the car, it wouldn’t fit in place as it was hitting the chassis, and so I had to carefully cut the thread down about 1cm off the end to give it the clearance it needed.   

Apart from that the parts seem identical, solved the issue and doing it this way saved me nearly £300.  Maybe you can find the exact part and avoid that last step, but it seems it has been discontinued.   Hopefully the above is clear enough but let me know if you need any help. Good luck!

57 minutes ago, Daboy3000 said:

986 / 996 / 987 / 997.1 / 981 / 955 Oil Filter Housing Removal Socket 3/8" DriveThis is my filter

986 / 996 / 987 / 997.1 / 981 / 955 Oil Filter Housing Removal Socket 3/8" DriveThis is what I bought.

Do I just need to smash it on or should it just fit easily?

Hard to tell from that pic if it's the right size but  you might find you can undo it by hand if you pop on some rubber gloves and can get a good grip on it, 19 ft-lb is the torque so if it was put on right you can probably undo it without the tool.  Saying that I have this one from  halfords which is a bit fiddely to get it to grip but does work on any size filter/housing https://www.halfords.com/tools/hand-tools/automotive-tools/halfords-advanced-adjustable-oil-filter-remover-926527.html

Edited by joeluth

3 minutes ago, joeluth said:

Hard to tell from that pic if it's the right size but  you might find you can undo it by hand if you pop on some rubber gloves and can get a good grip on it, 19 ft-lb is the torque so if it was put on right you can probably undo it without the tool.

Thanks.  I do have a pipe tool that could work, but it wasn't really getting off I was too worried about, it's putting it back on with the right about of torque.

3 hours ago, joeluth said:

Hi Will

So it was project 36 in the 101 projects book.

It says to use the stock 993 transmission mount - part number is 993.375.049.05

Not immediately easy to find as the book is a little old now,  but I did find the updated part over at design 911 here - https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod149410/Engine-Mount-Porsche-996-1997-05_2/?source=doofinder

These are £96 quid each, whereas the genuine mounts inc brackets are about £240 each.

Just 2 things to be aware of if you go down this route, be careful not to bend the bracket when you remove the mount, I got a large adjustable spanner to hold it still whilst I used an impact wrench to get the nut off, no probs, but I saw someone on YouTube use a breaker bar whilst standing on the bracket and he bent it!  

The other thing to be aware of is that the new updated part (linked above) has a longer bolt than the original part, I didn’t realise until I tried to re-fit it to the car, it wouldn’t fit in place as it was hitting the chassis, and so I had to carefully cut the thread down about 1cm off the end to give it the clearance it needed.   

Apart from that the parts seem identical, solved the issue and doing it this way saved me nearly £300.  Maybe you can find the exact part and avoid that last step, but it seems it has been discontinued.   Hopefully the above is clear enough but let me know if you need any help. Good luck!

Thanks I know it’s expensive to use the right parts and cheaper your way, just wasn’t sure of the part numbers. Great to know.

just put stainless bolts in the cat to header connection the mild steel ones I put in last year had already corroded. 
in preparation for removing the gearbox as I want to do the mounts and the brake pipes and a few other jobs. 👍

3 hours ago, Daboy3000 said:

Thanks.  I do have a pipe tool that could work, but it wasn't really getting off I was too worried about, it's putting it back on with the right about of torque.

CzbeJnC.jpg

This is what I use, off of eBay it’s the correct flutes and you can use a torque wrench on it. 

Edited by Halfordwill