981 Clear rear wind deflector project

Toeside

The long winter nights got me thinking that I could make a clear wind deflector as an option.

Picked up a previous thread on the wind deflectors and the main suppliers are either based in the USA or Europe. topradio kindly supplied a paper copy of his deflector (USA supplied) which I used. 

I purchase an A2 sheet of 4mm perspex off Bay of E and attempted to make a wooden template the plan to finish the template using a parallel router bit. As it transpired I just decided to mark the shape on the perspex then use a jig saw to cut out the shape and the hand file to shape..............it worked!

Really pleased with the completed article but still to road test. Can't see that there will be any issues as its a very snug fit but I will report back.

The trimmed finished piece with protective covering (looking ruff due to the paper edges and marker pen mark's)

DSC01795_zpshs9l5qzr.jpg

The fitted article

DSC01797_zpsab55bfpb.jpg

DSC01800_zpsj8zezjcs.jpg

Number 2 marked out ready to cut ;)

DSC01803_zpsmgfccixp.jpg

The bare deflector

DSC01804_zps7zjhzonx.jpg

12 minutes ago, Toeside said:

Dang................... I was going to start making them and retiring on the proceeds :huh: :D

Thanks again for sending the template:thumbsup_still:

Actually I should think that given their landed price with carriage and tax, especially given the current exchange rate,  you could probably sell them at ~£100 and you would get a number of takers. I had thought about getting a slack handful laser cut to see if there was a market but other work got in the way.

3 minutes ago, CMA said:

Oooo very nice. Something I need to do too, got the perspex. Guess I could use the existing mesh frame as a template?

Yes you could.

Difficult to get a good template shape because of the raised nature of the mesh one .... but doable

4 minutes ago, CMA said:

Oooo very nice. Something I need to do too, got the perspex. Guess I could use the existing mesh frame as a template?

You could but it might be a little tricky to copy it over to the Perspex - I do a nice line in templates.:D

The other solution I looked at was to take the mesh deflector apart and replace the fabric with Perspex. This would keep the top frame that I rather like.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎13‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 9:13 PM, thanatoid said:

The stock 981 patterned deflector is something I've hated when landing one as a courtesy car....  Well done :-)

Me too - but on a mildly related note, when I had a 718 as a courtesy car recently, I noticed they've changed the material to make it a little more 'rear view friendly'

Still, it's not clear Perspex though!

• 3 weeks later...

So the prototype screen camera mount is made. Its a bit over engineered I think but its very rigid and it can fit the camera facing front and back.

Its not quite finished I need to make it look pretty ;)  The pictures are with the protective film still on the screen its clear perspex type underneath btw.

IMG_2053_zpsdd2gtdhc.jpg

IMG_2051_zpsnnnmua97.jpg

Yes is the simple answer.

However I wanted a set up that I could just clip in and clip out and can have two camera's in place front and back. The height is slightly better also  I can raise the mount bar by a further 10cm towards the top of the deflector if needed.

Not keen on sticking things to the interior either.

+ I also have spare a wind deflector to play with ;)   

14 hours ago, Toeside said:

Yes is the simple answer.

However I wanted a set up that I could just clip in and clip out and can have two camera's in place front and back. The height is slightly better also  I can raise the mount bar by a further 10cm towards the top of the deflector if needed.

Not keen on sticking things to the interior either.

+ I also have spare a wind deflector to play with ;)   

fair points all of them...

Archived