How To: Bring your Dash Speakers up to spec

cj225

Why would you want to do this?

So, flash back to my original naive self.  I'd bought the Boxster as an early birthday present, and the other half was asking what I wanted for my birthday.  She'd apparently already ear-marked a stereo, so we were stood in the local Halfords whilst I tried to look at what modern stereos were like.  She pointed over to some Sony Xplod 6x9 speakers, and enquired "Will you need any speakers?".

I nonchalantly dismissed this, saying "It's a Porsche that cost over £40k new - I think the speakers will be better than some Halfords cr*p".  A regrettable comment.

As it happens, Porsche weren't exactly playboys when the Boxster was designed. Quite the opposite - they were so skint they shared a lot of parts with the even-more-expensive 996 and had desperately quizzed companies like Toyota about JIT manufacturing, having previous been very Rover-like and buying 1 billion buttons they would fit to every model they made for a 40 year period.

Part of this means that the speakers, which seem to have been mostly made in a Joint Venture between Nokia and Bacofoil.  If you like a premium sound to your music, then this really is a must-do, if you're still running with standard dash speakers.

Can I do them all?

For the most part, the dash speakers are the brunt of the sound output.  They are the only part of the system that is standard fit on all models, with the door speakers (premium sound) being extra, and also the engine cover also having optional speakers (rarer, though).  Then there was the Bose addition on top of all that.  For those blessed with door speakers, you might note that they don't do much other than, it seems, try and compensate for the lack of quality in the dash - adding only low end sound, almost like mini-sub woofers.  That's my understanding, feel free to correct if you know different, but basically there's no point messing with the door speakers.

Suggested Tools:

- Selection of torx screwdrivers, or similiar, plus a posidrive

- Some prying tools - a trim remover is useful, as it anything like a flathead screwdriver

- A hacksaw or dremel

- Strong glue, like a glue gun or epoxy resin

- Optional:  Soldering iron, heat shrink, insulation tape etc.

- Patience

Which Speakers?

Most popular set seem to be Alpine SPG speakers, but I think this is because they were originally suggested/used, and the flock followed.  Basically, any 4 inch speakers should fit, so I went with Fli 150w 3-ways, which came it under £20 delivered.  Example of these is here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/FLI-Integrator-Triaxial-Coaxial-Speakers/dp/B003RALJJ6

These are the specific ones I used, with the original units above:

Sh3qw3f.jpg

Removing the Speakers

* NOTE:  SOME OF THESE PHOTOS AREN'T MINE, BUT WERE FOUND ON GOOGLE IMAGES! * 

The dash speakers are held in by two torx headed screws on each side - they are around a T25 bit from memory, and are a couple of inches long.  It's useful to have 1/4 inch attachment bits and something for leverage here, as the screws nearest the windscreen are a pain due to access, but can also be quite tight.

I8ZP5nU.jpgkRnOgs7.jpg

Once you've undone both screws, the speaker should easily lift out.  You'll need to unplug the speaker connection.

The speaker is then held to the grille/bracket via three screws.  There will also be a small tweeter  which you can leave in place, or remove.  Your call.

Unscrew the main speaker.

Q8gS7ZM.jpg

You should now be greeted with the Baking Paper masterpiece.

qkgFHXH.jpg

The speaker cover should now look something like this:

k8ZMTSF.jpg

You'll want to keep the mounting plate for the paper jobbies - so this is where it can be a bit less reversible.  Cut the speaker out, including the plastic support braces.  

You'll want to leave the section which the multiplug is mounted on.  You can either unsolder or snap off the speaker wires.  This should leave you somewhere like this:

AUYZJYY.jpg

We don't need or want the tarty covers for the speaker, and the Fli items come with a tweeter already positioned in the middle of the speaker.  You may need to cut the tabs off the new speaker for it to fit into place.  Mine were metal, and I used tin snips, but a Dremel might have been better in retrospect.

0YxA0TE.jpg

With both items ready, the new speaker should now fit into the plastic mounting ring from the old speaker.  If you find it doesn't, do some more trimming, before bonding/gluing the two together.  If you're not sure how, consult the next pic.

You'll also want to attach the new speaker's spade connectors to the multiplug that should still be attached to the old speaker's bracket.  You can do with however you wish, but the more permanent solution should involve soldering.

With the glue bonded/set, you should now be able to place the speaker back onto the cover and replace the retaining screws.

JdDILi6.jpg

Refitting should now be the reverse of removal.  My Boxster had premium sound, and thus the Porsche Amp, and I remember it took a few off/on cycles before the speakers worked.  

It's the best £20 you'll spend improving your Boxster, should you still be using standard speakers.

Normal stuff applies - take your time, don't do anything silly, don't cut your fingers off with the knife, don't attempt if you're a clumsy danger to yourself, and not my fault of BoXa.net's fault if you make a dogs dinner of it all!

Have fun!

The reason for the choice of Alpines as replacement drivers was they were supplied in a kit tothethercwith fitting rings by a company on the south coast. I bought the same drivers slightly cheaper through eBay because I was confident they would fit. I think they're very good quality and make an excellent replacement.

3 hours ago, spyderman8 said:

The reason for the choice of Alpines as replacement drivers was they were supplied in a kit tothethercwith fitting rings by a company on the south coast. I bought the same drivers slightly cheaper through eBay because I was confident they would fit. I think they're very good quality and make an excellent replacement.

That's kinda what i meant by "they were originally suggested/used, and the flock followed".

When someone releases a 'kit', you tend to see lots of people sticking to the same thing.  It's easy to believe that they were used for a specific reason, and thus are the only ones you should use. 

I reckon that the standard ones are so bad that even cheap market tat would sound excellent

1 hour ago, T24RES said:

The fitting kit is pricey for the Alpine kit ?

It sure is - even more expensive than when I did mine back in 2011.

24455601960_74db64448c_z.jpg

You can easily get a pair of the Alpines for £40 through eBay and instead of buying the mounting rings, you can butcher the old speakers to make them.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Bose upgrade installed in mine, door speakers, sub woofer type thingy behind the seats, would this suggest though that the dash speakers would still be the same naff ones as described, and if so can they be replaced?Only on that Alpine kit link, it says and not Bose?

On 18/12/2016 at 6:35 PM, cj225 said:

Can I do them all?

For the most part, the dash speakers are the brunt of the sound output.  They are the only part of the system that is standard fit on all models, with the door speakers (premium sound) being extra, and also the engine cover also having optional speakers (rarer, though).  Then there was the Bose addition on top of all that.  For those blessed with door speakers, you might note that they don't do much other than, it seems, try and compensate for the lack of quality in the dash - adding only low end sound, almost like mini-sub woofers.  That's my understanding, feel free to correct if you know different, but basically there's no point messing with the door speakers.

Yes you can do them all its certainly worth upgrading the door speakers too & I spent a day redesigning my door sub enclosures to squeeze a 17 cm speaker in there (original useless sub is 13cm). All running of a Sony head unit as I ditched the amp & all my mods are unseen so everything still looks like it left the factory.

2016-07-05%2016.10.31_zps4b9x88az.jpg

2 hours ago, bally4563 said:

I have the Bose upgrade installed in mine, door speakers, sub woofer type thingy behind the seats, would this suggest though that the dash speakers would still be the same naff ones as described, and if so can they be replaced?Only on that Alpine kit link, it says and not Bose?

Bose runs a weird impedance on their speakers.  That's why the Alpine kit won't work with it.

1 hour ago, Mrker50 said:

Does 987 have speakers in door and dash ?

I believe the 987 is set up with 3 tweeters in the dash (not sure if the center one is a tweeter?) then a midrange & sub in the doors (bottom speaker is the sub).

I think Bose are 2 ohm as opposed to every other manufacturer of speakers in the world who use 4 ohms....

Archived