Starter squeal sorted

golfprorich

Another productive day on the newly acquired S. 

One in three starts approximately would result in a squeal. A quick search suggested that a clean of the starter bendix would most likely cure it. 

First proper job on this car for me, I'd yet to remove the engine covers! I have a glass hood and there may be a way to get the glass over the roll bar but I didn't want to force it. Anyway I got it to a reasonable height and held it in place with a ratchet strap hooked on to a strategically placed wheelie bin :D

The starter was pretty simple to remove after taking out the throttle body. One bolt undone from the top and the other from the front access panel with a couple of extension bars. 

Starter was clearly sticky, and after a good clean with some unleaded it was free and smooth. 

Chucked it all back together and no more squeal, result B)

I was supposed to be doing house stuff today so I'll be in the doghouse when the Mrs gets home, but who cares when that noise has been sorted :lol:

Mine stands at about one in five so I tend to forget about it. It usually happens when its busy and scares the life out of bystanders' ☺ its on the to do list next time I have the pleneums off. Hope you don't get a cel come on because of a vacuum leak.

Yes always happens when there's someone nearby!!

No vacuum leaks or CEL, I did notice one of the vacuum lines had popped out the Y-piece during the process, so glad I spotted that. Gave the throttle body a wipe round but to be fair it wasn't really dirty 

Archived