981 clear wind deflector MK2

topradio

Before I bought my Technowind from the States I looked at the construction of my mesh one and it looked like it just snapped together but I wasn't brave enough to try taking it apart. Recently @MIkeyv60 offered one for free as the mesh had slight damage so I snapped it up and this is what I did with it.

Standard deflector

20170404_182953_1.jpg

I was correct the frame of the deflector does indeed snap together so I was able to run the blade of a large screwdriver along the join and prise it apart.

20170404_183022_001_1.jpg

Once apart this is the construction - the mesh simply lifts out

20170404_183214.jpg 

I used the frame to mark out the outline of the deflector on the 2mm Perspex (the cut line is 5mm out from the inside edge of the frame) and cut the material with a fine toothed blade in my jigsaw.

20170412_175655.jpg

The Perspex fitted perfectly inside the frame and it then simply snapped together.

20170412_182455.jpg

20170412_182540.jpg

And this is it in the car

20170412_182931.jpg

20170412_182941.jpg

I haven't had chance to check it at speed yet but it snapped together pretty firmly so it should be fine. I used 2mm material but if I was doing the job again I would probably go down to 1.5mm as it would allow the frame to go together even more securely.

• Like 3

They're really easy to make. £6 worth of Perspex and about 15 minutes with the jigsaw. As an alternative to the Technowind it's a really cheap mod.

Thanks Mike, I was really chuffed with the result. I now have a choice of three deflectors to suit my mood.:bana:

Very nice job, Eddie.  You could go into business offering to convert mesh wind deflectors to perspex. ?

I solved the same problem for myself yesterday by expertly prising apart my PayPal account and carefully extracting a sum of money for @JohnSyn.  ?

• Like 1

I noticed that Dan. I haven't seen the glass one but I bet it's a real quality piece of kit, being German and all that.

10 minutes ago, topradio said:

I noticed that Dan. I haven't seen the glass one but I bet it's a real quality piece of kit, being German and all that.

Thanks, Eddie, I'm looking forward to getting it tomorrow.  We can compare on the 30th. ☺

I'd really like to find a small "P O R S C H E" logo for it, similar to the one on base of the rear window of my 987, either black or translucent grey.  Took a look on fleabay, but no joy.  Any ideas?

Edited by Daniel Joseph

Very impressive. I think you could be onto a little money spinner ?. I'm not brave enough to prise it apart - I know how that will end ??

9 minutes ago, mdunderwood said:

Very impressive. I think you could be onto a little money spinner ?. I'm not brave enough to prise it apart - I know how that will end ??

It really is easy. There is already a wide gap so a screwdriver pushed along the line of the joint opens it up nicely without damaging the plastic which is, itself, quite flexible. The 'female' side has metal retainers embedded in the plastic channel and these grab onto the 'male' side with little spikes.

57 minutes ago, Toeside said:

Tidy job. Well done Eddie.

Looks very OE!

Angus, The Perspex was much easier to get the shape right as its not as detailed as the one you made. Also the edges are completely hidden so I didn't have to be too fussy.

• Like 1

Very Good job, I would do that Mod if I had a 98I as well.

I got this piece of perspex done to make a wind breaker for my MG once it had a tint of Green in it and it look oem for the colour of the MG, I thought it looked smart.

Copyofnewfittingswindstop087.jpg

Guvs.

• Like 1

Have you noticed any difference in wind noise or performance ?. I assumed those smart German engineers switched to a honeycomb design to improve the airflow rather than just making it really hard to see behind you ?

• 4 weeks later...
On 14/04/2017 at 7:50 AM, mdunderwood said:

Have you noticed any difference in wind noise or performance ?. I assumed those smart German engineers switched to a honeycomb design to improve the airflow rather than just making it really hard to see behind you ?

Yeh, a mesh guard should produce less turbulence in the cabin as it doesn't just deflect the backdraft over the top it also allows some through the mesh at a low speed and prevents the deflected flow curling back into the cabin. (In theory). If you do get this problem you may be able to mitigate by drilling small holes in the Perspex, would be a bit hit and miss though.

Have you had any issues with rattling ? You may need to put som tape or similar in the frame to prevent rattling I would have though.

I recently installed a glass wind deflector in place of the mesh item.  There might be a slight increase in wind noise, but nothing troublesome and no noticable buffeting.  No rattles either.  There is a small cutout at the base of the glass, as you can see in the photo below.  I wonder if this is designed to allow some air through, to prevent, or at least minimise, the effects described by @Greenman above?

wZn0uT3.jpg

On 2017-4-12 at 11:17 PM, topradio said:

Thanks Stuart, I was pleased with the result. Now do I sell my Technowind?

the thread being bumped by DJ made me think...

Is the modded one better than the Technowind?

You got me thinking there is DJ an MC?:D

It's the same in terms of buffeting and visibility it just has the framing that links the roll hoops in a slightly more integrated way. 

On 4/12/2017 at 7:59 PM, topradio said:

Before I bought my Technowind from the States I looked at the construction of my mesh one and it looked like it just snapped together but I wasn't brave enough to try taking it apart. Recently @MIkeyv60 offered one for free as the mesh had slight damage so I snapped it up and this is what I did with it.

Standard deflector

20170404_182953_1.jpg

I was correct the frame of the deflector does indeed snap together so I was able to run the blade of a large screwdriver along the join and prise it apart.

20170404_183022_001_1.jpg

Once apart this is the construction - the mesh simply lifts out

20170404_183214.jpg 

I used the frame to mark out the outline of the deflector on the 2mm Perspex (the cut line is 5mm out from the inside edge of the frame) and cut the material with a fine toothed blade in my jigsaw.

20170412_175655.jpg

The Perspex fitted perfectly inside the frame and it then simply snapped together.

20170412_182455.jpg

20170412_182540.jpg

And this is it in the car

20170412_182931.jpg

20170412_182941.jpg

I haven't had chance to check it at speed yet but it snapped together pretty firmly so it should be fine. I used 2mm material but if I was doing the job again I would probably go down to 1.5mm as it would allow the frame to go together even more securely.

If you ever decide to make more or produce these ill hapily take one for 50 /60 quid, a small air vent in the bottom would be helpful I think.  But otherwise a cracking mod. 

Just now, Paulo123 said:

If you ever decide to make more or produce these ill hapily take one for 50 /60 quid, a small air vent in the bottom would be helpful I think.  But otherwise a cracking mod. 

Do you have the prep kit for the mesh deflector fitted?