Adding additional miles

So started a policy last July with Adrian Flux, limited to 5000 miles, cost £600. Had assumed from numerous posts on here that if I used those miles up I could give them a call and pay for additional miles. Unfortunately not though, have just called them to do that as I only have a few left and was told that it was 5000 miles only and that I'll have to take out a new policy.
My fault obviously for not fully checking this though I'm sure I did ask in the phone conversation at the time. So just a warning to others really in case anyone else makes the same presumption..  Incidentally their new quote was £760, so think I'll be shopping around for cheaper..

That's really coincidental, I have my policy with Footman James at 3000 miles for £257 pa. I can't live without the car now (bit dramatic) as it is too much fun so I have just increased it to 7000 miles. There are only 3 and a half months left to run and it cost £109 extra, they gave me the £9 back as car is now garaged. I have to say my dealings with FT have always been very positive, so far I would recommend them.

Flux we're happy to add 2000 miles for me a couple of years ago for just over £50 if I remember correctly! They have some weird policies and rules (on top of stinging everyone if you want to make admin changes or end a policy early). I'm not with them anymore. I pay a 3rd of their premium price with eSure (mods declared).

Smacks to me of price gouging while they've got you by the short and curlies?. If you change mileages on quotes it seemed to make little difference. Not even sure if they can enforce an actual cap unless it's clearly stated when you take out a policy, although may be different with a limited use policy. As long as I wasn't going way over, I wouldn't bother telling them, don't ever remember getting a refund for going under the mileage?. Each to their own?

The many joys of Flux....that's why I no longer use them. Most policies you can add extra miles no problem for a fee.  Did you mention when you signed up you may want to increase them? if so they will have that call recoded and you can instigate a formal complaint with them.

Always found A-Plan a pleasure to deal with. Even when I had a no fault claim it all went smoothly.

6 hours ago, Nobbie said:

Smacks to me of price gouging while they've got you by the short and curlies?. If you change mileages on quotes it seemed to make little difference. Not even sure if they can enforce an actual cap unless it's clearly stated when you take out a policy, although may be different with a limited use policy. As long as I wasn't going way over, I wouldn't bother telling them, don't ever remember getting a refund for going under the mileage?. Each to their own?

I agree if it was a bit over I'd have said nothing.  I checked my policy and it was very specific and as I was going to be double the mileage agreed I didn't want to risk it. The £257 was so much cheaper than anyone else (due to previously living in Ireland and not having much NCB), I wanted to keep them onside at renewal time ( the value of that remains to be seen of course.

Perhaps the policy is rubbish but Admiral have just quoted me £210 for 10,000 miles, for myself and wife as named driver. Have others vehicles insured with them. 2002 986.

34 minutes ago, Jason986S said:

I'm sure my limit is 4000 miles, and I only pay £250 FC, mods declared (and I'm a "yoof" at 28). 

You live in Somerset, no one else there to drive into! Move to the s....hole that is Stockport and ask for a new quote!

4 minutes ago, That986 said:

Haha, oh i wish. Well the first part isn't too bad.

I bet the second bit makes a big dent in the first bit. Only good thing about Stockport is cheap housing, no one wants to live here.

1 minute ago, Terryg said:

I bet the second bit makes a big dent in the first bit. Only good thing about Stockport is cheap housing, no one wants to live here.

Certainly does. Although we're quite lucky in the missus bought the house in the 90s for a normal price, heading for 9x that original price now.

On 4/25/2017 at 1:28 PM, Nobbie said:

It's tempting but presumably if I have an accident and the car has done over the 5k , then I won't be insured? 

Archived