981 garage remote door opener switch mod

topradio

This is something I've been meaning to do since I bought the car. I normally have to scrabble around in the centre cubby to find the garage door remote as I was too mean to specify it as a factory option as it was about £200.  I did a similar mod to Mrs Radio's Mini and it works great so it was time to take the 981 apart.

I removed the switch cluster behind the gear selector to look into the feasibility of enabling one of the spare switch blanks, The unit simply pulls out by getting your fingers between the open ashtray lid and the switch. This is my unmodified switch

dOasWpj.jpg

There are six screws on the back to open up the cluster and the pcb just lifts out along with the rubber contact pad. You can just see from the pic that the three sliding actuators are missing from the unused positions.

U9xEnQa.jpg

So after popping out the blanks this is where I was

sXMOLP4.jpg

I had been looking around on eBay to find a donor switch but they are about £100 which is a little steep just to cannibalise it for a couple of parts. So I asked on here if anybody had a spare one and @Greenman offered to send me one that he had. Its from a Cayman and all the positions are populated with the actuators as well as a selection of switch covers some with legends and some blanks. It also has the little chrome dividers that sit between the switches and add a bit of bling.

OYr98Yi.jpg

bqbpq0s.jpg

So I fitted one of the donor actuators to the spare slot below the auto stop/start switch and selected a cover with a legend for an option that the car doesn't have (I think its the switch to lift the front end for speed bumps on the 718)

8kjQfyl.jpg

wX3Xk7Y.jpg

I then soldered two wires to convenient pads that connected to the switch contacts. You can see the resistor that I removed to isolate the contacts from the rest of the components. I left it in place on the outside chance that I might ever need to reverse the mod.

zvaWs7g.jpg

I routed the wires through a convenient hole in the bottom of the enclosure and soldered them to the switch contacts on my garage door remote controller.

EdVyq0d.jpg

I then wrapped the remote in foam to stop any rattles and cable tied it in the space under the switch making sure that it was well clear of the gear selector cables - there's actually loads of room.

5Is6u3l.jpg

I then refitted the switch block.

t2JcFbh.jpg

The finished job

lYzrOsk.jpg

I just need to think of some things to fit in the spare switch slots, ejector seat or machine guns perhaps :D

There's loads of spare bits left from @Greenman kit so if anybody else fancies doing something similar then I have the parts.

17 minutes ago, daz05 said:

Good job. Couldn't you have done the same with the spare slot on the overhead console as per the option?

Almost certainly, just have to source the binnacle with the switches. There is one on eBay but the reason I didn't is because I find trying to locate a switch in that location by feel, especially in the dark is a pain. 

Wapping the remote in foam doesn't reduce the range in any way? Negligible, or just doesn't bother you personally? (I drive down a straight road to my house, I'd like max range; someone else made a U turn into a cul de sac so could press his button at the "back" of his house and the door would be open by the time he got to the front).

The full set of silly stickers off eBay didn't have a more suitable icon? Think I remember Sonar.

Wish I could wire my remote into my Homelink buttons but I barely know one end of a soldering iron from the other :( 

Thanks for the positive comments guys.

10 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Wapping the remote in foam doesn't reduce the range in any way? Negligible, or just doesn't bother you personally? (I drive down a straight road to my house, I'd like max range; someone else made a U turn into a cul de sac so could press his button at the "back" of his house and the door would be open by the time he got to the front).

The full set of silly stickers off eBay didn't have a more suitable icon? Think I remember Sonar.

The foam probably doesn't attenuate the signal too much especially compared to burying it in the console or even having it in the car in the first place.

Many years ago I lived near a very busy road (now the A14) and from one direction I effectively had to drive past my house for half a mile and then double back to get to it. As I flashed by at 70 I would zap the garage door so that when I arrived 2 minutes later the door would be open and I could drive straight in. I did have to modify the remote a little to turn up the power slightly :D

I used a switch with a legend as it had the 'cut out' bit to accommodate the chrome bar. I am going to take the Dremel to one of the blank switches and if successful look out for a decal with a suitable legend.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived