986 Roof tension cable replacement

Sazzy

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 10:33 PM, Sazzy said:

If you have the problem of the roof not seating in the rain channel correctly, it may be beacuse the tension cable within the piping of the roof has snapped or corroded. If you have already tried replacing the elastic, of which there are numerous other threads on here on how to do, this may be your problem instead.

A new cable can be had for about £20, the part number is : 986 561 921 00

Open the roof about halfway, look at the base of the B pillar and you will see the bottom eyelet of the cable. Undo the screw and if you can pull the cable then its broken inside. It's a good idea to put a cloth underneath to avoid losing any screws etc down the drain hole!

57j98I3.jpg

To get to the top of the cable you will have to remove the front part of the roof from the frame as it is hidden inside behind the top of the window. Firstly remove the two roof latches:

sm6lGFM.jpg

Then the screws along the top rail:

Hpndze6.jpg

Then the two at the corners that hold the side seal on:

cLC5Kq0.jpg

Pull the seal completely away from the front and the side you're working on:

uonAbYJ.jpg

Under the side seal is a plastic retainer with four screws that needs to be removed, looks like this :

InSLi5K.jpg

Under that are more phillips screws with one hidden under a piece of rubber seal that you need to pull off, took me a while to figure out why I couldn't undo it with all visable screws removed!

rk1Pwly.jpg

g0XKCOE.jpg

Now the fun bit, you need to carefully pull the roof back from the frame, there's a lot of adhesive but you will see underneath an aluminium plate with the top of the cable attached to a spring in shrinkwrap, which you will need to split :

QdVBlPh.jpg

Undo the top eyelet from the spring and pull it through the piping, here was mine, or at least half of it ....

3q0NUq3.jpg

Thread your new cable through the piping, attatch to the spring, and re wrap. I put the plastic back around it and then electrical tape to hold it.

BxLiSC3.jpg

The cable comes with the other eyelet unattacthed to allow you to thread it through so you will need to crimp it on. Then it's just a case of putting everything back together! 

My roof now sits perfectly on that side so I hope this helps some of you with this problem if you have tried other options. It's a shame Porsche didn't make it from galvanised steel would save a lot of hassle! :rolleyes: 

Hallo- Im very happy to found those instructions, enabling me to fix the issue on my 2003 - 986. Unfortunatly I don't see the pictures. Can you send again, please?

Thank you.

• 9 months later...

This looks like a really clear and well laid out set of instructions. I noticed mine was broken on the right hand side this morning so I have ordered a replacement from Steve Strange and plan to do this on the weekend. Mine looks slightly different though - maybe I'm not talking about the same thing as you guys but I can clearly see both ends of my cable - the whole cable is only about 6 inches or so long.

• 8 months later...

I've not logged on for a while but got a notification for this topic...

I got mine from Porsche direct. Not really worth going elsewhere I don't think. They weren't massively expensive for an OEM part (though admittedly they were expensive for what is essentially a crimped cable!). Try phoning up your local dealer - it's small enough they can put it in the post for you.

Unfortunately I can't get to my spare parts right now as I have an unused set I ought to sell!

On 1/19/2021 at 8:21 AM, map said:

@Sazzy - just to let you know that this guide was a massive help for a friend who was working through hood alignment problems.  They’re fixed now  

Thank you. 

Oh fantastic, I'm so pleased this is still out there being useful to people :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi all. This is very helpful & a great post. I'm hoping that this will fix my 54 plate 2.7 hood issue. The drivers side is the problem. I have seen all the YouTube videos about this alignment issue,  but despite several searches, I can't find/don't have the small section of cloth & elastic on either side. Passenger side is closing just fine. 

• 6 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 4/6/2022 at 2:22 PM, surprise_cheese said:

Sorry to reopen an old thread, I'm about to tackle this job and would like to know if I need a heavy duty crimping tool to crimp the eye onto the cable? I have been advised by my parts supplier that I do, however there is no mention of it on this thread. 

Cheers in advance! 

I just used a regular crimper on a wire stripper I had and squeezed as hard as I could. I wasnt sure if it had worked because it didnt seem to 'crush' the metal but it must have been enough because the cable was secure to the eye. I'd be interested to know what other used but nobody seems to reply to this thread anymore.