Help - Damaged wheel locking bolt security socket

Gerrox

Hi, looking for some advise. I was doing a Brake Fluid change and when trying to remove a front wheel my wheel lock socket started to disintegrate. (see attached photos).

Now I obviously can't remove my alloys. Does anybody have any tips for removing the locking bolts? I am not bothered if I damage them when removing, I will be replacing them anyway

IMG_3394.JPG

IMG_3395.JPG

Any decent tyre place will be able to whip the lockers off in a jiffy. If you have the replacement bolts just ask them to swap them over. 

Otherwise you  can get reverse threaded sockets that fit over and will allow you to remove them.  When I had this exact problem though I got a professional to remove the stuck locker as I didn't want to risk mashing up my alloy in the process. 

Hi

I had the exact same problem (also whilst doing my brake fluid) and I used a set of Irwin Bolt Grip Removers. 

It was dead easy, cost about 10 quid from amazon, and I've used them since on a rounded nut. It'll knacker the lock nuts but to be honest, once you see how easy they are to remove, you'll realise they are pointless. 

Hi Mike 957, followed your advise, went to a national tyre franchise outfit but was told they can't remove locking studs as they are not covered if they damage an alloy. They did direct me to a small independent tyre fitter who had a kit for removing lock nuts. 15 mins and 30 quid later, all removed. Replacement set ordered.

7 hours ago, Gerrox said:

Hi Mike 957, followed your advise, went to a national tyre franchise outfit but was told they can't remove locking studs as they are not covered if they damage an alloy. They did direct me to a small independent tyre fitter who had a kit for removing lock nuts. 15 mins and 30 quid later, all removed. Replacement set ordered.

Good to hear you got it sorted. Not too surprised the big chain didn't want to get involved.  Like you,  I used a decent local place and paid I think £20 cash. 

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Shazbot said:

No one steals wheels any more, they'd rather burgle your house get the keys and steal the whole car. Removed mine as soon as I got the car.

Yup, and if they do want your wheels they'll just take the whole car anyway. 

• 2 months later...
On 4/2/2018 at 9:54 PM, Gerrox said:

I had same problem went to local Porsche dealer tech came out with box of wheel nuts matched up correct 1 went into parts dept and bought a new 1 for about £22 ?

Archived