PDK Sport modes, are there any mechanical upgrades?

John K

My 987 PDK doesnt have any of the buttons to press for Sports or Sports+

But I've heard its theoretically possible to purchase a pukka Pork upgrade to add these modes.

It would not be cheap and before I even consider it, I'm interested if there is any difference in the oily bits for a PDK with the sports modes.

I wouldn't entertain a software only upgrade if it would also need mechanical strengthening, no point in hammering the box into an early failure 

Cheers 

7 minutes ago, John K said:

My 987 PDK doesnt have any of the buttons to press for Sports or Sports+

But I've heard its theoretically possible to purchase a pukka Pork upgrade to add these modes.

It would not be cheap and before I even consider it, I'm interested if there is any difference in the oily bits for a PDK with the sports modes.

I wouldn't entertain a software only upgrade if it would also need mechanical strengthening, no point in hammering the box into an early failure 

Cheers 

Same hardware. Just a software upgrade. 

OPC can add Sport and Sport+ mode with the buttons. Just not the Chrono clock very easily (pointless anyway).  

So all the functionality for a software upgrade cost.   Not sure what this cost is...

But S+ Plus PDK in manual is funtastic mate.. 

Just found this...

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=48&t=1068868

19 minutes ago, rowbos said:

Same hardware. Just a software upgrade. 

OPC can add Sport and Sport+ mode with the buttons. Just not the Chrono clock very easily (pointless anyway).  

So all the functionality for a software upgrade cost.   Not sure what this cost is...

About a grand for everything to be done proper like.

Seems like a not very sensible use of money - needless to say I'm now considering it :rolleyes:

Just now, John K said:

About a grand for everything to be done proper like.

Seems like a not very sensible use of money - needless to say I'm now considering it :rolleyes:

Might be worth asking Lee if he can do this...?  If not price check a couple of competing OPCs

I think it’s an eminently sensible way to enhance your enjoyment of the car and your new exhaust...  

Just now, rowbos said:

Might be worth asking Lee if he can do this...?

I got the intel from Lee..!

He's identified all the pukka bits and a genuine 'unlock code' for the ECU - that's the expensive bit.

He is also very good at reverse psychology because he hinted it was expensive for what it was. Literally a red rag to this idiot bull.

1 minute ago, John K said:

I got the intel from Lee..!

He's identified all the pukka bits and a genuine 'unlock code' for the ECU - that's the expensive bit.

He is also very good at reverse psychology because he hinted it was expensive for what it was. Literally a red rag to this idiot bull.

He knows you too well already ?

Any way it’s the fault of Porsche ultimately.  Launch Control, faster gear changes, enhanced shortened throttle responses, enhanced slip angle.  They know how to package these goodies into a desirable bag to tempt us!

13 hours ago, rowbos said:

Not sure what this cost is...

My memory is really bad.

I did it a few months ago and I think that my dealer charged me something like 800/1.000 eur (but take it just as an educated guess).

Anyhow very recommended. Completely changes the gearbox (and the car) behavior.

2 hours ago, Ale_72 said:

800/1.000 eur

I think you are very close with this estimate, it lines up with what I remember.

I might be tempted now on hearing peoples feedback.

It might make it the perfect "two ways" car.

The regular shift pattern for just mooching about on a sunny day - then the sports pattern for when to want to poke it out on a friendly roundabout.

As of now, with my 'dumb' PDK, if I want to lean on the tyres, I always go into manual so I know it won't shift on me at an unexpected time, perhaps this is another way to get that.

Can I give my wife your email addresses so when she wants to speak with the people who "put MORE stupid ideas how to spend money into my empty head" she can contact you all directly...

I think you are very close with this estimate, it lines up with what I remember.

I might be tempted now on hearing peoples feedback.

It might make it the perfect "two ways" car.

The regular shift pattern for just mooching about on a sunny day - then the sports pattern for when to want to poke it out on a friendly roundabout.

As of now, with my 'dumb' PDK, if I want to lean on the tyres, I always go into manual so I know it won't shift on me at an unexpected time, perhaps this is another way to get that.

Can I give my wife your email addresses so when she wants to speak with the people who "put MORE stupid ideas how to spend money into my empty head" she can contact you all directly...

You know it makes sense ?

How does your wife find out about this stuff?!  You need to be more careful and save up your pocket money to protect her delicate sensibilities. Anyway you don’t have kids. So pretend the car is your child and you are paying for additional sports equipment ?

Option 1:

I am Italian, I can handle that B). What will make our life miserable is when my wife will get in touch with yours (and it's just a matter of time). In that case I expects much more Louboutin shoes in both houses, and much less funny things in the garage. Ah, the thing that annoyed more in the beginning -after the upgrade- is that the light for sport and sport+ buttons has a slightly different tone of white compared to the other buttons that are now around eight years old.

Option 2:

It's such a subtle visual change that you could pretend that the car was sent to service to check a weird noise and take it back after a couple of days with the noise sorted :angel:

John, if you ever in the area shout and I'll demonstrate the differences.  With "sports" witched on, the auto box is eerily intuitive - although I am normally in manual select too.

I may be worth you sending an email to this site as the pricing seems very sensible ($100) https://www.code-porsche.com/

3 minutes ago, Patt said:

I may be worth you sending an email to this site as the pricing seems very sensible ($100) https://www.code-porsche.com/

If you need to buy the cable for PIWIS, plus find the PIWIS SW, plus buy the buttons, plus install it, plus pay the coding, I am not sure it becomes a bargain (considering that you can forget to pass the Porsche Approved checks, in case you are interested).

PS with the activation of the sport/sport+ another nice feature that you get for free (well, for free... talking about Porsche nothing is for free) are some additional settings for lights,  doors locking etc.

6 minutes ago, Patt said:

John, if you ever in the area shout and I'll demonstrate the differences.  With "sports" witched on, the auto box is eerily intuitive - although I am normally in manual select too.

Interesting... and agreed in Sports mode,  Auto works really well when driving enthusiastically.

@John K Lee has PIWIS of course and could program using a code if it works...?  If you want to see S and S+ in action I can show you next week...

The settings for lights , locking etc can be done by anyone with the correct equipment.  If you buy from OPC they should be part of the handover procedure.  Many are now available on the 981 for you to personalise. I know I had my 986 locking changed by an indi whislt in for a service - because I asked them if it could be changed.

Buttons are not expensive - you can buy a complete console of buttons for the 981 for £80 ! If you chose not to purchase new.

As for passing the Porsche warranty, that is down to your own personal take. or risk assessment, just like IMS bearings or bore scoring. How many 987's are still under extended warranty ? I 'd bet a packet of Jaffa's its at least 60% less than 981s

If you have had genuine Porsche parts fitted with a VAT receipt, then that is all that is actually required.

1 minute ago, Patt said:

How many 987's are still under extended warranty ?

Mine, at least :rolleyes:

Here in Switzerland it's very very difficult to sell properly a Porsche without the PA active.

But I agree that with some goodwill, a friend with the tool and knowledge to use it and some used parts, you could achieve the full coding and set up for no more than 1/3 of the price.

As you said, that is down to each own personal take.

Thanks to @Patt and @rowbos for the offer of a demo. Perhaps the Exmoor run will be a good place to see it.

As for looking for more cost effective ways to do it - TBH I usually pay the official price so nothing ever can come back

1 hour ago, John K said:

Thanks to @Patt and @rowbos for the offer of a demo. Perhaps the Exmoor run will be a good place to see it.

As for looking for more cost effective ways to do it - TBH I usually pay the official price so nothing ever can come back

I would offer, but know you too well and know that you would break it :huh:

Archived