What is the Black that is brown in the sun?

John K

I was at a detailers getting booked in and he had just finished a 1999 986 that in the sun looked a deep metallic plain chocolate brown.

After a brief argument with the detailer as to the colour, I wandered over and cast my shadow onto the front wing.

It went black...

It was lovely... What voodoo colour is it?

No, Atlas is  a Blue Grey with flecks of Purple in sunlight. No Brown about it. There's a nice metallic Brown, Macadamia, but haven't seen that on a 986. It'll probably turn out that John had his sunglasses on ! :laugh:

The only standard 986 colour anywhere like that in the 1996 or 2000 brochures was just "Black Metallic" (Z8), but I wonder if possibly bright sunshine and/or coloured surroundings may have given the effect you described. But of course it could have been a special colour or even paint to sample. As Meno says, if you get the chance again, look for the sticker - I think a car of that age would still have had one under the bonnet. (The exterior colour codes are the last line of large type, just above the rows of individual option codes.)

Just out of interest, during your argument, what colour did the detailer say it was? :)

21 minutes ago, Jon61 said:

Just out of interest, during your argument, what colour did the detailer say it was? :)

He was adamant it was black with a metallic fleck that in the sun does look brown. And frankly if he didn't know I wasn't going to let him near my car :) 

25 minutes ago, red rocket said:

It'll probably turn out that John had his sunglasses on ! :laugh:

And I did have brown lenses on but took them off when we did the shadow test.

Out of the sunlight it was black as the Ace of...

It will spend a few days on the driveway opposite (I know the brother of the detailer who actually bought it, its an incestuous village thing) so I will look for the sticker

Interestingly many blacks are just very, very, dark blues or browns etc.

Bright sunshine may reveal this.

About 1000 washes in a washing machine normally reveals it in clothes too.

So in summary:
- in the sunshine when you had your brown sunglasses on, it looked metallic brown;
- in the shade, when you took your brown sunglasses off, it looked black;
- the detailer who looks after car paintwork and who'd presumably been looking at the car for quite a while said it was metallic black ...

My money would be on Black Metallic :D

And it sounds like your village has that Norfolk-thing going on - what's that saying "If a man divorces his wife, is she still his sister?"

1 hour ago, Jon61 said:

So in summary:
- in the sunshine when you had your brown sunglasses on, it looked metallic brown;
- in the shade, when you took your brown sunglasses off, it looked black;
- the detailer who looks after car paintwork and who'd presumably been looking at the car for quite a while said it was metallic black ...

My money would be on Black Metallic :D

Bloody hell... Who invited Columbo to the party :) ..!

Archived