Going to look at 718s

John K

Now, don't get me wrong, I love the NAF6 in my 09 987.2. The noise as I wring its neck is epic and the throttle response is razor sharp, but...

How often do I wring it's neck? And more to the fact, where can I give it the moo in anything but 2nd (of 7 in the PDK)

I spend most of my time pottering about between 1,200 and 4,000, which is kind of where the TF4 shines

Having read the running report of folks with 718s, I'm going to have to take a look.

The main issue is that the 987 is paid for and I am pathologically adverse to finance - if the car is as good as I suspect it will be, it might be a tough conversation with myself.

Please tell me the 987 is all the car I will ever need...

Buy the 718 as well - for a long term comparison - its only money and you can't take it with you

Of course the answer you are looking for is that the 987 is all the car you'll ever need - is the 718 really going to be significantly better than the 987 on a day to day basis - maybe for the first week or so, but from then on in you'll have to listen to that wet fart of an exhaust note wondering why you paid twice as much for something that sounds so bad. Boxster ownership is varied and includes the audible part - so keep the 987 and enjoy

If you do fold like an paper plane in a rain storm and by one - make sure you give me your carnewal before you part exchange it :)

I've had both, and I totally see where you're coming from. As a daily driver the F4 is probably as good as it gets (However, I get the sound argument of those who do give it the beans all the time). What you will notice is the steering is sharper, the interior has some minor improvements that annoy on previous models and the tech head unit is so much better. In every way.

Enjoy your test drive.

1 hour ago, John K said:

Having read the running report of folks with 718s,

And that's your problem.  Hanging around on BoXa can cost you a fortune on all those things you didn't know you need until a few other people talked about how great they are...

You want to be on macanforums.co.uk - those guys will grab your spec and suggest all sorts of options that you must have before ordering your new motor. They regularly add £5k to the value of any Macan!

All in jest and I have to say one of the best forums to be on.

2 hours ago, rowbos said:

Interesting...

When are you taking a look John?

Will call the Tewkesbury OPC on Monday to see what is available. 

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

And that's your problem.  Hanging around on BoXa can cost you a fortune on all those things you didn't know you need until a few other people talked about how great they are...

And you guys aren't the worst of it.

I work with mostly younger technology fanatics who are paid quite well.

I get endless suggestions to buy x, y or z gadget only to find out I don't need it and even if I did need it, I can't figure out how to operate it...

3 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Can definitely relate to that!

8 hours ago, John K said:

Will call the Tewkesbury OPC on Monday to see what is available. 

Good luck John.....I'm sure its the right thing! Carpe Diem and all that!!

ps If I were looking to get a convertible I'd certainly buy a 718

9 hours ago, John K said:

Now, don't get me wrong, I love the NAF6 in my 09 987.2. The noise as I wring its neck is epic and the throttle response is razor sharp, but...

How often do I wring it's neck? And more to the fact, where can I give it the moo in anything but 2nd (of 7 in the PDK)

I spend most of my time pottering about between 1,200 and 4,000, which is kind of where the TF4 shines

Having read the running report of folks with 718s, I'm going to have to take a look.

The main issue is that the 987 is paid for and I am pathologically adverse to finance - if the car is as good as I suspect it will be, it might be a tough conversation with myself.

Please tell me the 987 is all the car I will ever need...

I recently moved from a 981 to a 718, and I do not regret it for one second. The 718 (IMO) is a better car in every area except engine noise but that is not the be all and end all.

I’m going to get some popcorn John, this is going to be fascinating ?

if you can try a 981 as well, this way you get to tell us which really is the best ...

11 hours ago, John K said:

And you guys aren't the worst of it.

I work with mostly younger technology fanatics who are paid quite well.

I get endless suggestions to buy x, y or z gadget only to find out I don't need it and even if I did need it, I can't figure out how to operate it...

...and that's why I had children ;)

John > The 987 is all the car you will ever need...

it's paid for

goes like stink

has the engine and exhaust sound to match

looks great

The 718 will be quieter, more frugal and nice to look at.

John > The 987 is all the car you will ever need !

41 minutes ago, Pinewood said:

John > The 987 is all the car you will ever need !

I've just dropped the roof on it ready for a run later and it is a lovely thing.

And... When I couldn't sleep lat night I had another play on the Porsche configurator, even being sensible, I got to £60k easily.

And, I couldn't quite get the colour combo I was looking for. So...

Anyway test drive booked for Tuesday morning and they are going to make me drive a 981 GTS as well

38 minutes ago, Darkstar said:

I wish someone would make me drive a 981 GTS.

I had the pleasure recently at the PEC.  Not too shabby. But equally I was not too unhappy to drive my lowly 987.2 afterwards ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2018 at 9:47 AM, John K said:

I've just dropped the roof on it ready for a run later and it is a lovely thing.

And... When I couldn't sleep lat night I had another play on the Porsche configurator, even being sensible, I got to £60k easily.

And, I couldn't quite get the colour combo I was looking for. So...

Anyway test drive booked for Tuesday morning and they are going to make me drive a 981 GTS as well

Only £60k? I can get to £70k easily!

I can get to around £51-53K.

Very easy to get those figures though, however I'm being stern with myself and putting a logical head on. Lots of stuff I originally configured, on reflection I do not need or would very rarely use.

Archived