Whats the difference between a PDK and PDK+ Launch

John K

I know Launch Control will dump the clutch at the ideal launch rpm, but what is the actual difference of the line between PDK and Launch and me just mashing the loud pedal on a boggo PDK and allowing the revs to climb?

I'm guessing .5 to .7 seconds slower 

Does anybody have the figures? 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, John K said:

I know Launch Control will dump the clutch at the ideal launch rpm, but what is the actual difference of the line between PDK and Launch and me just mashing the loud pedal on a boggo PDK and allowing the revs to climb?

I'm guessing .5 to .7 seconds slower 

Does anybody have the figures? 

Official figures for mine are 4.8s to 60 with PDK and 4.6s to 60 using Launch Control. (In one press release I just found)

Found a couple of conflicting sets of figures though with some having more of a gap between the two. 

Found a few more sets of figures.  It seems to be a consistent 0.2s gain using LC...

Hitting the throttle from idle gives a split second delay before the car responds with all its got, the launch has it at max power with controlled traction right from the moment you release the brake, plus it’s in Sports Plus mode so everything is maxed out.  Porsche list official figures for all models - launch is usually up to 0.5 sec quicker but invariably mags get better times - so the Porsche figures are conservative.

10 hours ago, Gorsh said:

Hitting the throttle from idle gives a split second delay before the car responds with all its got

That pause is very noticeable, I describe it as the car taking a deep breath before hitting the high notes.

However...

And I know Pork LC is comparatively easy to engage, unlike Ferrari and BM versions which require most of the staff from the LHC and a user manual the size of a phone book...

In the real world if you did fancy a drag away from the lights because a bunch of Neds in a CRX had pulled up along side. Surely by the time you had engaged the LC, the lights would have changed and the Ricer Wagon would have vanished in a cloud of Drum and Base and the diminishing echos of "You so old..!"

So in the above situation, wouldn't it be better just to mash the loud pedal and let the PDK do its stuff?

8 minutes ago, John K said:

That pause is very noticeable, I describe it as the car taking a deep breath before hitting the high notes.

However...

And I know Pork LC is comparatively easy to engage, unlike Ferrari and BM versions which require most of the staff from the LHC and a user manual the size of a phone book...

In the real world if you did fancy a drag away from the lights because a bunch of Neds in a CRX had pulled up along side. Surely by the time you had engaged the LC, the lights would have changed and the Ricer Wagon would have vanished in a cloud of Drum and Base and the diminishing echos of "You so old..!"

So in the above situation, wouldn't it be better just to mash the loud pedal and let the PDK do its stuff?

It's easy, S+ mode, foot on brake, foot to floor on accelerator, foot off brake, hold tight :) 

just to remember not to bottle it before it hits max revs and go for it  -that results in lots of noise and sideways, wheel spinney, "oh sh!t" action before being catapulted into the next county.....

just don't ask how i know this.....

4 minutes ago, rowbos said:

It's easy, S+ mode, foot on brake, foot to floor on accelerator, foot off brake, hold tight :) 

Oh, I had no idea it was that simple... Does sound like fun because even a std PDK enthusiastic 'go' is quite dramatic.

The mind must be utterly discombobulated by a Launch in a 991 Turbo S in the sub 3's

9 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

just to remember not to bottle it before it hits max revs and go for it  -that results in lots of noise and sideways, wheel spinney, "oh sh!t" action before being catapulted into the next county.....

Haha, I haven't actually done this in my car yet - looking for the right opportunity - quiet straight road, very warm car, decent weather etc (have done it at the PEC) - and I have purchased an auto-timing App on my iPhone ready to get some results :) 

11 minutes ago, John K said:

Oh, I had no idea it was that simple... Does sound like fun because even a std PDK enthusiastic 'go' is quite dramatic.

The mind must be utterly discombobulated by a Launch in a 991 Turbo S in the sub 3's

Yep.

I don't mind a bit of discombobulation from time to time but not had the please of being in anything quite that quick...

Yep very easy....as Rowbos said S+ mode, left foot on brake, floor throttle - launch control message on dash, release brake.....giggle like a 3 yr old

Repeat at next set of lights

Driving "consultants" at PEC silverstone very keen to left you have a go, in a 991 Carerra 2S it was absolutely stunning, no wheel spin just goes

49 minutes ago, rowbos said:

Haha, I haven't actually done this in my car yet - looking for the right opportunity

You are such a ...

No wonder you turned so white when Lee said he needed to try yours as part of the service...

WA-FCR-1800CKC-2.jpg?1502093132

1 minute ago, John K said:

You are such a ...

No wonder you turned so white when Lee said he needed to try yours as part of the service...

Haha yes :)  

Though this fluffy innocent chick more closely matches my mood (and car)...

download

12 minutes ago, rowbos said:

Haha yes :)  

Though this fluffy innocent chick more closely matches my mood (and car)...

download

Prefer your version, it comes pre BBQ'd for extra nom nom...

52 minutes ago, Pezky said:

Yep very easy....as Rowbos said S+ mode, left foot on brake, floor throttle - launch control message on dash, release brake.....giggle like a 3 yr old

Repeat at next set of lights

Driving "consultants" at PEC silverstone very keen to left you have a go, in a 991 Carerra 2S it was absolutely stunning, no wheel spin just goes

do you not have to turn PSM off too - or is that only for extra poopy pants?

1 minute ago, Mattman42 said:

Therein lies your mistake :)  NO!

1 hour ago, Mattman42 said:

2 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

I would have 'thought' that PSM would be needed to manage any wheel spin from the Launch.

If you switched yours off, perhaps that what explains your rabbits nose moment

Like what @rowbos says...

ahhhhhhhhh, explains sideways motion and 20ft of black stripes left on the Basingstoke ring road then - could have sworn i saw instructions in the manual to turn it off too.....

every day is a learning day......

4 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

ahhhhhhhhh, explains sideways motion and 20ft of black stripes left on the Basingstoke ring road then - could have sworn i saw instructions in the manual to turn it off too.....

Not exactly a 'details man' :laugh:

And now you can see why there was sheer terror among the PM's and Consultants everytime we heard Matt had sold a solution...

3 minutes ago, John K said:

Not exactly a 'details man' :laugh:

And now you can see why there was sheer terror among the PM's and Consultants everytime we heard Matt had sold a solution...

Sales... (they never are)

38 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

your rear tyres just answered my question about tyre life after launch control. tempted to try it now :-)

5 minutes ago, Pinewood said:

your rear tyres just answered my question about tyre life after launch control. tempted to try it now ?

Get yourself TrackStats on iPhone or similar on Android - interested to see what result you get...  It does 0-lots of speeds and standing 1/4 etc...

Archived