Bluetooth for my 987

Dave_4

I’ve been searching for a way to connect my iPhone to my 987 CD-R 24 with cd changer. 

Tried the fm transmitter type things that plugs into the 12v socket in the arm rest. But they’re cr*p, and a waste of money. 

Was playing with the idea of changing the head unit, but it always seemed a long, expensive way around a problem a modern ish (2006) car shouldn’t have.

I found this on amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07BR2ZZCY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_H0zzBb942E964

£118 later this arrived 

29971330148_c33c04636d_b.jpg

comes with bt unit, fibre optic cable, mic, power cable and splicing clips. 

Removed the rubber seal and plastic covers in the frunk. 

28904728497_f9b5f13264_b.jpg

there's two clips on the bottom of the cd changer housing, the only way I could get them off was by putting my finger under and behind the clip, and pulling forward (towards the front of the car) and then lifting the the top of the clip 

43124019664_308fd9b7c4_b.jpg

once the clips are off you can pull the unit forward releasing it from the rear clips.  Remove the fibre optic cable which clips directly into the bt unit, use the splice connector to connect to the cd changers power supply. I connected the fibre optic cable supplied to the cd unit to stop dust getting in. 

28904726017_2711385bcf_b.jpg

43841196451_d22a302664_b.jpg

29971329818_a42fd0394c_b.jpg

cable tide to the top of the housing. Switch the head unit to cdc, connect to the unit via Bluetooth on my phone and bingo worked first time ?

really pleased with it, works perfectly. 

Easy to fit, a flat head, Philips screwdriver and pliers 40min max 

I might have a look at connecting the mic so I can make calls, but not fussed for now just pleased to have more that 6cds to listen to ?

@Simon.

4 hours ago, Gartronicus said:

Brilliant! , I've been using the 12V adaptor as well , I had no idea this existed , thanks for this !

They’re so bad aren’t they, ??

1 hour ago, Simon. said:

Dave. Thank you for linking me in, that looks perfect, I’ll get one on order & see about fitting / getting it fitted as I’m a bit of a tech No ?

40 minutes you say. Mmm. Might have a go 

No worries, wasn’t sure if anyone would care too much about the install side of it, but posting “yeah it’s good” seemed a bit pointless. 

It is surprising easy to fit, 8 screws, 2clips and a cable tie. 

I spent most of my time trying to work out what cables to connect to, I find auto electrics a bit confusing ?

14 minutes ago, xavster said:

How would I install this if I don’t have CD changer?

Not sure that you can, don’t know that you can’t though. ?

It utilises the fibre optic cable from the cd changer, so you loss the changer and gain Bluetooth. 

Maybe check behind the plastics in the frunk for the fibre optic cable 

Sorry, that’s my knowledge exhausted. 

4 hours ago, xavster said:

How would I install this if I don’t have CD changer?

I guess you would plug it into the cd changer plug on the back of the head unit, but then you would need someone with a piwis or similar to enable the cd changer option.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Dave_4 said:

That’s good, how are you finding it? I’m going to have a look at fitting the mic at some point 

Only gave it a quick test but very happy with it . LBe interested to see how you get on if you do fit the mic & where you route it thru the bulkhead. I don't get many calls & think that shouting @ the phone will be good enough to let someone know I'll call back later ?

57 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

You can buy a carphone kit from Porsche. Where do they put the mic? Isn't it in the steering column or nearby? A pillar would also seem logical.

The mic comes with a clip & a sticky to place. Not sure the pillar suitable due to possible wind noise? Maybe steering column like you suggest or possible down near the centre console cubby hole?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Simon, excellent write up and just what I'm looking for, just wondered how much control over your phone you have?

I have a similar setup in my mini and can listen to Spotify on my iPhone, I can advance tracks etc using the buttons on my head unit, is that possible with your setup?

Rog.

• 3 months later...

Archived