I have decided to keep my 981S and give it some TLC

mneil

After looking long and hard for a possible replacement for my 2012 981S with 41+K miles and finding nothing I liked with similar performance and looks, I have decided to keep it and give it a few treats. Here are a few reasons that went towards that decision.

Sports suspension X73 kit; December 2015.

Fitted by Revolution, totally transformed the handling.

Remap; February 2018

https://www.aet-motorsport.co.uk/ ; there is a thread in the 981 forum. This made a profound improvement to the car; some 10% increase in bhp and torque, now I don’t feel like I’ve been so short changed by Porsche. This improvement has been significant, in my decision to keep the car.

PPF covering; August 2018.

Don’t know why I didn’t get this done when I first purchased the car, five years ago. I had the last two cars protected with PPF covering and already knew the benefits; not a mark on my last Evora after three years.

A bonnet and bumper-off respray, done by a perfectionist; a near neighbour of mines company, Motorcare Body and Paint in Minworth. Whilst the bumper was off, I treated the condensers with ACF50, hopefully should last a bit longer now.

I went to http://bodyguarduk.com/ in Daventry for the covering (they did my last Evora) they used https://www.suntekfilms.com/paintprotection/ppf-c.aspx . A great job, can thoroughly recommend them.

981 Multi-function steering wheel replaced.

Thanks to @Cupola981 for starting his thread. The steering wheel adapter arrived from GPS via DHL within four days, the Carbon and Leather 781 ML steering wheel from Porsche, will not be available till the middle of August, fancy that!

Looking forward to five more years of happy motoring in the car!

• Thanks 1

Hiya, I read your post with much interest, I have a few questions if you don’t mind, re the re map, raising your engine power by circa 30bhp, how much did it cost and was there much of a insurance loading? I presume also that said remap would invalidate a Porsche warranty, however would they know?

Finally, how much did the ppf wrap cost?

sorry for all the questions but I’ve considered these two improvements for some time.?

3 hours ago, martyn said:

Hiya, I read your post with much interest, I have a few questions if you don’t mind, re the re map, raising your engine power by circa 30bhp, how much did it cost and was there much of a insurance loading? I presume also that said remap would invalidate a Porsche warranty, however would they know?

Finally, how much did the ppf wrap cost?

sorry for all the questions but I’ve considered these two improvements for some time.?

The remap was circa £600 but as was discovered, the dyno will only work with manual gearbox. I was the lucky one with a manual box, there is a video on YouTube with my car. Insurance was an extra £17 per year.

ppf frontal wrap is a few pounds off 1K, they gave me a discount as a returning customer?

15 hours ago, mneil said:

A bonnet and bumper-off respray, done by a perfectionist; a near neighbour of mines company, Motorcare Body and Paint in Minworth.

Hi could I ask what rough cost this was please?

1 hour ago, CMA said:

Hi could I ask what rough cost this was please?

£650 but again he has done work for me on all my cars, Jimmy truly is the only person I trust. 0121 313 0722.

• Like 1

£650 bargain. Would have thought closer to £1k.

Interesting what you say about the Dyno and manual. I just did some research and it seems you need a 4 wheel dyno to get a proper reading from PDK, as the front wheels not moving confuses the system. Every day is a school day!

7 minutes ago, 981Ad said:

Interesting what you say about the Dyno and manual. I just did some research and it seems you need a 4 wheel dyno to get a proper reading from PDK, as the front wheels not moving confuses the system. Every day is a school day!

Yeah I tried to get mine remapped but there was no chance. The car just took over even in manual mode when the rear wheels got up to speed with the front wheels stationary.  A bit of googling whilst the guys scratched their heads revealed what the issue was.  As you say every day, school day.

There are a few four wheel dynos around that could do the job but I decided I wasn’t that in need of more power to need to seek them out. 

4 hours ago, Patt said:

Why not "personalise" it to keep it fresh for you.

maybe a wrap it a different colour, or add the GTS styling ?

hi Patt

Well I have done away with the ugly number plate holder after having the bumper-off and bonnet respray. The plate is only 41cm long (3 letters and 2 digits) and I have it attached near the top of my Zunsport centre grill; giving 5.5cm above, covering the bumper and 5.5cm below, covering the grill, looks so much neater. I did purchase a sticker plate but because of the complex shape of the bumper front, gave it a miss. After the respray I had the complete front half of the car covered in clear ppf, wrapped cars are not my thing and I am quite happy with the Agate grey. Just awaiting the arrival of the 781 sports MF steering wheel and I will be happy for the time being, until I am able to get even more horses out of the engine!

The Zunsport rear grills hide the exhaust boxes, so that work for me, likewise the side air intake ones add a finish. I was not keen on the front side grills in the bumper, so made and fitted my own as per a thread on the forum.

you got that X73 kit fitted yet?

Gareth took out my car earlier this month and could really notice the extra torque after the remap at AET.

Cool.  Must admit whilst I hate the look of the MF wheel, the new style is better and I do find myself using more of the electronics whilst I'm on the longer drives, so I look forward to seeing your update on that.

Nope, no X73 yet for me.  I keep diverting the funds elsewhere.  Latest diversion is another holiday away. I did manage to wash her last week, er actually the week before !

38 minutes ago, mneil said:

At last!!! looks like my steering wheel is on its way.

Be really careful to make sure that the multiplug is fully disconnected from the clockring when you take your old wheel off. I didn't, and managed to break it when I removed mine ...

• 1 month later...

Back from my holiday yesterday and picked up the new black carbon and leather steering wheel along with the new air bag this morning.

Waited till after the worst of the rain and then fitted it around lunch time; it looks superb:thumbsup_anim:.

3 hours ago, tailslides said:

Looking good, are all the buttons operational?

Everything works as per the original standard 981 M.F. wheel. After fitting the GPS adapter inside the new wheel which converts the new electronic signals to one's the 981will recognise; real easy, it's then just plug and play. All credit to the electronic engineering from GPS in China. And it looks stunning?

Edited by mneil
thing