Tappet tick, normal or not?

John K

The 987 hadn't been run for 5 days and when I started it this morning I got a tappet (or follower or something, it just sounded like a tappet) tick from the drivers side.

As soon as it was warm, I gave it a gentle rev and all went back to normal

Its never happened before and the only new parameter was a recent service and new oil.

Is the new oil less viscose so ran out of the engine easier..? No idea, just guessing. Don't even know if it has tappets...

5 hours ago, John K said:

The 987 hadn't been run for 5 days and when I started it this morning I got a tappet (or follower or something, it just sounded like a tappet) tick from the drivers side.

As soon as it was warm, I gave it a gentle rev and all went back to normal

Its never happened before and the only new parameter was a recent service and new oil.

Is the new oil less viscose so ran out of the engine easier..? No idea, just guessing. Don't even know if it has tappets...

If it hadn't been run for a while it can take a little while for everything to "settle" - its also apparently not uncommon for a follower to stick and needs a little enthusiasm to get things back to normal.

One thing - I was told by an engine builder and I have seen reference to the same in various cars owners manuals - to not "just sit there and let things warm up" - its much better to get things moving and drive reasonably gently until it's warmed up - (I think the boxster manual says below 4000 rpm until it comes up to temp) - the explanation I was given by the builder was that at idle the oil pressure is relatively low -meaning that it doesn't make it all the way to all the "important" bits as well.

10 hours ago, Paul P said:

One thing - I was told by an engine builder and I have seen reference to the same in various cars owners manuals - to not "just sit there and let things warm up" - its much better to get things moving and drive reasonably gently until it's warmed up 

Thanks Paul, I was pretty sure it was just something sticking but experience has taught me to listen to engines..!

As to your second point about not sitting warming it up. I got told exactly the same by the previous owner and that's what I do. It gets driven gently as soon as it starts (I was limiting myself to 3k) but as soon as the temp gauge sits at 80 deg C, it's "cry havoc and let loose the dogs of war..."

47 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

seen a few references to ticking noise - seems to be the noisy followers and fairly common - you obviously aren't going fast enough if you can hear it :)

"Sorry officer, the screaming of the pedestrian stuck in my wheel arch was drowned out by the wind noise and PSE..."

I went out this afternoon and the tick was still away. I'm sure what I heard was a sticking something.

I might be out for a trundle tonight and will have a little listen at the grill. Makes sense you would hear the injectors on a DFI 

Mine has been in the bodyshop for a week, noticed a tick noise when first starting up, after a blast round half the M25 all was good. Based upon that I'd say it was normal and things just needed lubricating.

Just had a chat with my mechanic this morning and he said something interesting about my 986 (which is ticking too) which probably applies here too. The standard oil used is quite thin; I put Mobil Gulf in it and he was recommending Millers (and a mineral oil as car gets older rather than synthetic) as something that is a bit thicker. This tends to stick to the lifters a bit longer and reduces the ticking - and wear. Obviously if the ticking goes away wear should be less of an issue. Still, thought it was an interesting point as I assumed that when it came to viscosity, 5w-40 oil was 5w-40 oil, but apparently not.

Archived