Do you get NCB on all policies?

Nobbie

I have full NCB on my 107 and have insured my (now sold) Spitfire on a classic policy for the last three years and the Boxster first year with A-plan and currently with Locktons. Assuming I continue to insure the 107, do I actually have any further NCB accrued that I could use on the Boxster, or do some policies not accrue NCB?

You should accrue NCB for each policy as far as I understand it. When I bought a mini as a DD insurance was high as I had zero NCB for it, as my NCB was being used for my GT86. As I understood it, I would build up NCB on the mini as long as I was insuring it.

I've got the mini and Porsche insured on a multi car with Aviva, full NCB on the Porsche and introductory on the mini.

Hope that makes sense.

I don't understand this. You can only use your NCB on one policy? So I have my NCB years on the Boxster and nothing on my daily. I'm adding one year every year should I be adding two?! The cars arn't on a multicar policy or even with the same insurer...

4 minutes ago, Sazzy said:

I don't understand this. You can only use your NCB on one policy? So I have my NCB years on the Boxster and nothing on my daily. I'm adding one year every year should I be adding two?! The cars arn't on a multicar policy or even with the same insurer...

You should build separate no claims bonus, so I have 14 years on my Porsche but when I insured the 107 it was a new policy so zero no claims but when that renews it would have 1 year.

same with bikes, separate no claims to your car but if you have a claim on your bike you have to declare it on all policies. 

Great huh

21 minutes ago, Sazzy said:

Hi Sarah. This nearly caught me out when I got Betty. Basically the NCB applies to one person/car combination at a time. So you can move it from one car to another but you can't add a 2nd car. I'm with Admiral Multi-car and they said that although I couldn't use my Full no Claim also applied to Betty, they would give me a non-transferrable equivalent discount on Bettty. i.e I'm accruing a new set of No Claims on Betty starting at year zero when I bought it, but only paying the equivalent of Full no claims. i.e if I moved to a different insurer then so far I'd only have 1 year on Betty.

Ok so I have 18 years on the Boxster built up on different cars over the years including mostly my current daily. I moved it to the Box when I bought it 2 years ago as that was more expensive to insure and I know you can't have it on a 2nd car. 

Ever since I've declared my daily as having no years so if it went back to zero when I bought the Box should it now have 2?! I've just reinsured it too !

On 9 September 2018 at 8:14 PM, Sazzy said:

Ok so I have 18 years on the Boxster built up on different cars over the years including mostly my current daily. I moved it to the Box when I bought it 2 years ago as that was more expensive to insure and I know you can't have it on a 2nd car. 

Ever since I've declared my daily as having no years so if it went back to zero when I bought the Box should it now have 2?! I've just reinsured it too !

I suspect your new insurers will require proof of ncb. Your renewal should have stated your ncd accrued, if not give them a call first and ask for the proof of ncd

Separate NCB on each policy AFAIK..... but some insurers will 'mirror' your bonus...... AXA do for me for several years now.. ... my JCW MINI is my NCB and they mirror this for my Boxster insurance.

Worth an ask of your insurance company? 

Interesting system this.  Back in Oz the NCB follows the owner ie you can have multiple vehicles all with the same NCB.  Of course the flipside is if you lose it you will lose it on all vehicles.  I assume over here if you have it on more than one vehicle, and it is specific to each, if you make a claim you only lose it on the relevant car?

Skidd - you are absolutely right - but this is yet another scam by the insurers The person builds the NCB and as you cant drive two cars at the same time I fail to see where the additional risk is.

However - have an accident and if you have two separate policies on two separate cars those nice insurers will up the premium on both policies (because you are obliged to report all accidents/claims) - as you are now a greater risk because you the person have made a claim - They care not if you were responsible for the accident either - of course they play with semantics - "hit by an uninsured driver"? - "car damaged whilst you were away from it and it was parked up"? - they say - you wont loose your NCB ---but ---they will put your premium up - something they don't tell you unless you ask.(and usually for three years without another claim)

If you have legal cover - just try and make the point that for a no blame claim - besides the damages to the vehicle I want recompensing for the increased premium over the next three years as my risk is deemed to be greater even though I wasn't responsible for the accident. Legally any increased premium for a no blame claim is classed as damages - and you are entitled to claim all damages back - but just try it - They don't have a clue how to handle that and will refuse to work on your behalf to ensure that action is instigated - I have considered that in this event it would be possible following up with a breach of contract claim against the legal policy provider - not aware that anyone has ever tried this.

They play it both ways - separate policies with separate NCB - so surely an accident in one vehicle shouldn't make a difference to the other policy as its separate.

The insurance industry is akin to Bankers and MPs - and the only industry I'm aware of that seem to be able to ignore the Equality Act - The Act says certain characteristics are irrelevant and to discriminate on one of these protected characteristics is unlawful - but, married/living with a partner or single makes a difference to premiums, as does Age.

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 8:14 PM, mike597 said:

Some places will do ncd mirroring for you.  The principal being I guess you can't driver two cars at the same time.  Admiral mirrored my ncd when I moved the boxster to a multi car policy with them. 

Likewise for me

Archived