Premature sale/hand back under OPC finance ?

Patt

33 minutes ago, Patt said:

Thanks John, and indeed all of you for the positive support, it really is appreciated.

My negotiations are going very well, although they won't confirm anything until the consultation period has finished. 

I can't get them to carry over my (already agreed ) holiday in January, so looks like the latest I'll be leaving is the end of December.  No biggy as I'd only lose £230 worse off versus 24 days paid holiday !

What is more important is that, subject to finding a new role quickly, I could in fact now pay off Alice completely with the payoff.

I'm still worried for the impending doom of no income, but at least I have the potential of a reasonable cushion

That sounds a bit more positive mate, hope it comes good in the end. 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Patt said:

Thanks John, and indeed all of you for the positive support, it really is appreciated.

My negotiations are going very well, although they won't confirm anything until the consultation period has finished. 

I can't get them to carry over my (already agreed ) holiday in January, so looks like the latest I'll be leaving is the end of December.  No biggy as I'd only lose £230 worse off versus 24 days paid holiday !

What is more important is that, subject to finding a new role quickly, I could in fact now pay off Alice completely with the payoff.

I'm still worried for the impending doom of no income, but at least I have the potential of a reasonable cushion

Good to hear Patt, look forward to see you Sunday week.

3 hours ago, Patt said:

Might want to keep some liquidity for a while, for other expenses, and just continue paying the monthly payment on the car until things become more clear.

Best of luck, I've dodged a bullet a few times now.  Not nice at all.

indeed , I'll be holding on every penny until I have a new job.  Only then I can make the decisions on what to pay off/over pay.

Although I may have to visit the Tequipment book for a wee "Christmas pressie" ;-)

Thought my world had caved in 5 years ago when made redundant after 32 years, 6 months of hell in a low paid job where I could not cover my outgoings without having to dip into my redundancy payment. Then I landed a better paying job than my original with a better shift pattern. 6 months as a temp, then full time position. Being made redundant turned out to be the best thing that has happened to me in my working life, bizarrely enough.

Hopefully you will have the same outcome, my only advice is to take any job you can get, then from that position look to get back to your original level and hopefully that redundancy money becomes a bonus.

Best of luck!

Good luck Patt.  I have been through this process twice now in my career - and both times I ended up in a better situation and with a cash balance from the redundancy package - so hopefully you fare well in the end mate.

Sorry to hear this Patt.  The industry I work in is very volatile and I've been under the threat of redundancy 3 times in 8 years.  Although I've managed to hold on I sometimes wish I hadn't.  Every single colleague (without exception) that I've seen go has ended up in a better position with a nice pot of cash.  I'm sure the same will happen to you.

On 10/15/2018 at 3:19 PM, Scubaregs said:

Thought my world had caved in 5 years ago when made redundant after 32 years, 6 months of hell in a low paid job where I could not cover my outgoings without having to dip into my redundancy payment. Then I landed a better paying job than my original with a better shift pattern. 6 months as a temp, then full time position. Being made redundant turned out to be the best thing that has happened to me in my working life, bizarrely enough.

Hopefully you will have the same outcome, my only advice is to take any job you can get, then from that position look to get back to your original level and hopefully that redundancy money becomes a bonus.

Best of luck!

My bolding.

I saw lots and lots of people get made redundant during the period 2007 onwards - I always thought that I was so lucky to have avoided the axe falling on me, however it did fall a few years ago.

Very, very fortunately my experience was similar to @Scubaregs -- I enjoy what I do now a lot more; I have a better work life balance; and am much happier person overall. 

Wishing you every success in the world @Patt .

• 1 month later...

Well I've just signed a new job contract. 

Subject to getting paid this week, I intend to pay off the finance completely.   

Really appreciate the comments and support peeps. 

3 minutes ago, Patt said:

See, told you so! Congratulations!

1 hour ago, Patt said:

Very glad to read this Patt and even more so that you got sorted before Christmas  have a good one

Great news Patt. It often seems to go this way - it certainly did for me, two redundancies resulted in two changes of job that got better each time and with money in the bank 😎

All the best mate.  

I never saw this thread originally, so was very sorry to hear the hear the bad news ... but it sounds as if it's now taken a turn for the better so well done Patt. And it sounds as if you've been able to hold onto Alice too? Great that it's sorted before Christmas. :thumbsup_anim:

Just seeing this thread now - and glad it has all worked out for you.

Wife took voluntary redundancy once but she had secured a new job before she left. However about 18 month later she was made redundant from that job, and it was really, really hard. Took her about 5 months to get back into work again and each day as I left for work I really felt bad. She's in full time work now, but has a pretty long commute into Belfast each morning which isn't good. At least she's in a Macan!

Best wishes with the new job. Onwards and upwards.

Archived