986 ULEZ Compliant?

highway

On 10/18/2019 at 3:18 PM, dpg123 said:

Lots of people have resorted to getting a ferry to Scotland to get an MOT there so they can keep on the road.

This is what a friend of mine had to do as he forgot to book himself in and needed the car. He got a last minute spot on a ferry, the car's only about 5 years old so went straight through (it is a range rover though, so no certainty!), doing it this was was less impact than faffing about with the NI system. It makes you wonder if there's an MOT in Scotland, just round the corner from the ferry terminal, who're really busy?

19 hours ago, LorenzoUK said:

This is what a friend of mine had to do as he forgot to book himself in and needed the car. He got a last minute spot on a ferry, the car's only about 5 years old so went straight through (it is a range rover though, so no certainty!), doing it this was was less impact than faffing about with the NI system. It makes you wonder if there's an MOT in Scotland, just round the corner from the ferry terminal, who're really busy?

And Her Majesty's Opposition party want to nationalise more of the country when NI can't even run a statutory testing system?!?

The again, perhaps it is part of the green agenda; stop people getting MOTs so their cars are no longer legal to drive therefore they are off the road so not burning hydrocarbons.  Kills the economy though.

On 9/17/2019 at 9:11 AM, dpg123 said:

Many thanks! Any info would be helpful...

I got an up-date from my friend and for both the DVLA and TFL, he needed to get confirmation from Porsche and send it all in hard copy, separately to each authority (DVLA 1st and then TFL when up-dated on systems) and chase several times by phone. He is now set-up correctly. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ½cwt said:

And Her Majesty's Opposition party want to nationalise more of the country when NI can't even run a statutory testing system?!?

The again, perhaps it is part of the green agenda; stop people getting MOTs so their cars are no longer legal to drive therefore they are off the road so not burning hydrocarbons.  Kills the economy though.

This might be true if there was any kind of decent or reliable public transport alternative available in the province. Most people rely on cars as they live in areas not served by a regular bus or train service. It's not like the mainland where there's a bus every 10 minutes, unless you are in a busy part of town. In rural areas there's a bus once or twice a day. 

It was so bad a few years ago that the Translink (public transport provider for NI) voted itself the worst train company in the UK (in an attempt to provoke the Govt to increase funding). 

It still can't be as bad as the Northern Line in London on a wet Monday morning though...

• 9 months later...
On 9/16/2019 at 4:27 PM, dpg123 said:

Right, to resurrect this, I am now deeply confused.

I put 3 or 4 identical car's reg (2004 986S, manual) I found on Autotrader into the ULEZ checker and none are liable for the charge.

Put my car in, I am liable. Identical cars, same engine, gearbox, year. I don't get it.

Its infuriating because I will need to sell if I'm liable. I dont want to.

For example: GN04 SCV is on Autotrader. No ULEZ charge. Others: NK54 AVO, WX04 GMG, GX53 FTK etc etc etc...

My car is OEZ 8589. 2004 (May) 986 3.2S manual. I have to pay. WHY???

I have sent TFL an email asking them to explain the discrepancy. They just came back saying my car doesn't meet the regs. They completely failed to address the fact that identical cars, both younger and older than mine, are not liable. 

HELP!

This is exactly what I am going through at the moment. I'm not going to back down because none of it makes sense (if you remove executive abuse as a possible factor). Do you want to join forces to put this stupidity to rest?

All the best

charleshfevans@gmail.com

On 10/20/2019 at 7:27 PM, TV8 said:

I got an up-date from my friend and for both the DVLA and TFL, he needed to get confirmation from Porsche and send it all in hard copy, separately to each authority (DVLA 1st and then TFL when up-dated on systems) and chase several times by phone. He is now set-up correctly. 

I just sent them my certificate of conformity (obtained from Stuttgart) and TfL are still saying its non-compliant. I've asked them why...

Sorry if this is something you already know about from the 986 Facebook group, whom I have been boring tonight.

Transport for London say my 2003 986 3.2S is not ULEZ compliant. They say it isn't Euro4 and therefore non-compliant. They say no more than that.

There are hundreds of identical cars which ARE compliant. I have checked, and I have informed TfL, but to no avail.

I am appealing to all owners of identical 2003 S models to, firstly, let me know if they are ULEZ compliant and, crucially, secondly, let me know the emissions data from their V5C. The identity of the vehicle is not so important as the model and year and data, so anonymised info will do.

If I can build up a database for identical cars I may be able to persuade TfL that they have mis-categorised my car.

All help appreciated!

1 hour ago, Chase27 said:

Sorry if this is something you already know about from the 986 Facebook group, whom I have been boring tonight.

Transport for London say my 2003 986 3.2S is not ULEZ compliant. They say it isn't Euro4 and therefore non-compliant. They say no more than that.

There are hundreds of identical cars which ARE compliant. I have checked, and I have informed TfL, but to no avail.

I am appealing to all owners of identical 2003 S models to, firstly, let me know if they are ULEZ compliant and, crucially, secondly, let me know the emissions data from their V5C. The identity of the vehicle is not so important as the model and year and data, so anonymised info will do.

If I can build up a database for identical cars I may be able to persuade TfL that they have mis-categorised my car.

All help appreciated!

2001 986 S

Red PORSCHE BOXSTER S
Change
vehicle

No ULEZ charge due for this vehicle

This vehicle meets the emission standards for ULEZ so you don't have to pay this charge when driving within the zone.

Double check that the vehicle details have been typed correctly. You risk getting a penalty if you've identified the wrong vehicle.

No LEZ charge due for this vehicle

The LEZ is different from the ULEZ - it doesn't apply to cars and motorbikes. This vehicle either meets the required emission standards, is exempt from or not affected by the scheme, or is subject to a 100% discount.

Information is based on what we know about your vehicle. This may change without warning - always check to see if you need to pay to drive in London.

• Like 1

@Chase27

Having lived in London until December last year I might be able to shed some light on this having wrestled with it for four cars:

My 2001 registered 986S manual is not liable for the ULEZ tax.

The car is not Euro4 compliant.

It is in fact a 2002 chassis.

The reason mine is ULEZ free is because the NOx emission (or whichever gas is the baddie today) is recorded as lower than the relevant ULEZ threshold.

So if a 04 plate car is compliant and another isn't it could well be that they are different chassis/engine/transmission versions or configurations or that the specific vehicle and it's factory options push the NOx (or whatever) levels over the threshold.

The emissions levels for your specific car are covered in the V# Emissions section of the V5.  This is a good time to make sure your V5 is accurate.....

If your petrol engined car is not Euro4 then check the ULEZ relevant V# figure on your V5 and if it is below the threshold then go back to ULEZ Enforcement and request that they reassess based on this number. 

• Like 1

Will the optional extras affect the rating?  Perhaps a car with ac will, on paper, emit more pollution and when it's built the manufacturer declares compliance on a case by case basis. 

7 hours ago, topradio said:

Will the optional extras affect the rating?  Perhaps a car with ac will, on paper, emit more pollution and when it's built the manufacturer declares compliance on a case by case basis. 

Could it be that simple?

9 hours ago, map said:

@Chase27

Having lived in London until December last year I might be able to shed some light on this having wrestled with it for four cars:

My 2001 registered 986S manual is not liable for the ULEZ tax.

The car is not Euro4 compliant.

It is in fact a 2002 chassis.

The reason mine is ULEZ free is because the NOx emission (or whichever gas is the baddie today) is recorded as lower than the relevant ULEZ threshold.

So if a 04 plate car is compliant and another isn't it could well be that they are different chassis/engine/transmission versions or configurations or that the specific vehicle and it's factory options push the NOx (or whatever) levels over the threshold.

The emissions levels for your specific car are covered in the V# Emissions section of the V5.  This is a good time to make sure your V5 is accurate.....

If your petrol engined car is not Euro4 then check the ULEZ relevant V# figure on your V5 and if it is below the threshold then go back to ULEZ Enforcement and request that they reassess based on this number. 

My V5C doesn't have the NOx figure on it. That's why I went to Stuttgart to get a certificate of compliance which shows the NOx figure to be way under the Euro4 statndard. I sent that certificate to TfL, who replied by merely saying it is not compliant, but not why not. I have asked them to tell me. I have also asked them to tell me how my car differs to all of the other MY2003 S's out there which ARE compliant.

On 7/26/2020 at 12:51 AM, Chase27 said:

Having been through all of this successfully for my 2004S, here's the key piece of info taken directly from a letter sent to me by TFL:

QTE

Thank you for your enquiry received on 16 September 2019, regarding Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ).
Unfortunately, we are unable to determine a vehicles compliance status by VRM alone. There are a number of factors
which need to be considered for example; Euro standard, vehicle type, fuel type and Nitrogen Oxides (NOx and/or
Particulate Matter (PM) values.
The ULEZ Scheme requires vehicles to meet the following standards;
l Petrol Vehicles must be Euro 4 or have NOx emissions equal to, or less than, 0.08 grams per kilometre.
Diesel Vehicles must be Euro 6 or have NOx emissions equal to, or less than, 0.08 grams per kilometre and
Particulate Matter emissions equal to, or less than, 0.005 grams per kilometre.

UNQTE

So, your car does not need to be EURO4 compliant, it just needs to have a NOx reading of 0.08g/km or less recorded on either the V5C, of if that info is missing there as it was on mine, on the Certificate of Conformity that you request from Porsche UK. 

When I sent this info to TFL I highlighted this fact and also the exact section of the certificate the NOx was recorded on (it's all in German).

Here's the reply:

QTE

Thank you for your correspondence received on 3 October 2019 regarding the Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) for

vehicle registration (VRM) OEZ8589.

Based on the information that you have provided we can confirm that your vehicle, registration OEZ8589 is subject to

the ULEZ and meets the emission standards. This means you do not have to pay the ULEZ charge to travel in the

zone.

Our vehicle compliance register will be updated accordingly

UNQTE

Hope this helps...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

13 hours ago, dpg123 said:

Having been through all of this successfully for my 2004S, here's the key piece of info taken directly from a letter sent to me by TFL:

QTE

Thank you for your enquiry received on 16 September 2019, regarding Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ).
Unfortunately, we are unable to determine a vehicles compliance status by VRM alone. There are a number of factors
which need to be considered for example; Euro standard, vehicle type, fuel type and Nitrogen Oxides (NOx and/or
Particulate Matter (PM) values.
The ULEZ Scheme requires vehicles to meet the following standards;
l Petrol Vehicles must be Euro 4 or have NOx emissions equal to, or less than, 0.08 grams per kilometre.
Diesel Vehicles must be Euro 6 or have NOx emissions equal to, or less than, 0.08 grams per kilometre and
Particulate Matter emissions equal to, or less than, 0.005 grams per kilometre.

UNQTE

So, your car does not need to be EURO4 compliant, it just needs to have a NOx reading of 0.08g/km or less recorded on either the V5C, of if that info is missing there as it was on mine, on the Certificate of Conformity that you request from Porsche UK. 

When I sent this info to TFL I highlighted this fact and also the exact section of the certificate the NOx was recorded on (it's all in German).

Here's the reply:

QTE

Thank you for your correspondence received on 3 October 2019 regarding the Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) for

vehicle registration (VRM) OEZ8589.

Based on the information that you have provided we can confirm that your vehicle, registration OEZ8589 is subject to

the ULEZ and meets the emission standards. This means you do not have to pay the ULEZ charge to travel in the

zone.

Our vehicle compliance register will be updated accordingly

UNQTE

Hope this helps...

Thanks DPG. I have been using your case as a comparator. If I get nowhere, on the basis of inadmissible hearsay, can I call you to give evidence on my behalf?

All the best and thanks again

Charles

9 hours ago, Chase27 said:

Thanks DPG. I have been using your case as a comparator. If I get nowhere, on the basis of inadmissible hearsay, can I call you to give evidence on my behalf?

All the best and thanks again

Charles

Sure! I'll send you my case number on a direct message now so you can quote it and say that your case is identical to mine. 

On 7/28/2020 at 9:15 AM, dpg123 said:

Sure! I'll send you my case number on a direct message now so you can quote it and say that your case is identical to mine. 

Just saw this, DPG. Its good to know I can point to your case with your knowledge and approval. I'll go looking for that direct message.

Thanks again

Charles (Chase27)

Chase27, glad this seems to have made progress. Fingers crossed TFL confirm you're compliant soon. I found the process time consuming and frustrating because the system was at fault, not me. To be fair to TFL, they seemed to be quite clear and efficient in terms of stating what exactly they needed to fix the issue and didn't take that long to respond.

To those coming after us, to summarise, my advice would be:

- Go straight to Porsche UK (customer.assistance@porsche.co.uk) asking for your Certificate of Conformity for the purposes of confirming your car is ULEZ compliant in London. You'll need to provide them with your vehicle VIN number.

- Once you have your Certificate, scan it and send it to TFL (ULEZLondon@cclondon.com) with your car Reg asking them to update their records and confirming your car is compliant. Your car does not need to be EURO4 compliant, it just needs the NOX level on the Certificate of Conformity to be equal or better than the EURO4 limit (which it will be). This is key. 

- TFL should then confirm your car is compliant and you can then indulge in man maths whereby the £12.50 you would have had to pay each time you drove in town now goes towards a nice pair of stainless headers and sports cats to open up some additional noise and SPEEEEEEEEEED.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1