Rebuilding my Wreck

ATM

So the insurance company finally gave me a price today to buy back my Wreck. It was way too cheap to say no to, so I said yeah. Not really figured out anything else yet. I quite like the idea of fixing it myself but I don't get much free time so that's tricky and I don't have a drive, off street parking or garage so this would mean leaving it on the road. That has insurance and mot implications which are also complicated as the car will need to be inspected by an engineer once repaired. Anyway let's have some pics shall we. 

20181209-140350.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, myfirstboxster said:

If it's on a public road will there be a road tax situation ?

Exactly 

I'm not really sure. My insurance is via a broker so I'm going to speak to them first. I can find somewhere to put the car as in with friends or somewhere not at home but then that adds more complication if I want to tinker with it.

Well done on buying it back. Im sure for a reasonable sum you’ll have the car back on the road and it’ll feel like the same car once again. Is the car now a cat-N? Probably worth a chat with yoir broker to discuss future cover. Either that or get it MOT’s, inspected and then tax and insure it.

1 hour ago, Andy Mac said:

@ATM  What happened to cause the recent one? 

Aquaplaned 

Car rotated. I managed to avoid clipping the central reservation barrier but got 2 wheels on the rough so was probably only inches away from the barrier. Then got a bit sideways getting off the rough back onto motorway and swerved about a bit. Kept it pointing relatively straight but ended up heading for the grass verge. That's when I braked. Bounced along the grass for a bit and finally stopped. Adrenalin was high by this point and I was actually thinking I've saved it. When I got out to look at the car I saw the wheel ripped off. 

This thread is completely different to @ATM“s thread on PH where armchair experts automatically ripped into various vague conclusions without the full facts. That’s why I like it here on BoXa.net

good on you for buying it back - sounds like madness without having somewhere to build it,  it hats off to you. Keep us posted please with lots of pics

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ATM said:

Aquaplaned 

Car rotated. I managed to avoid clipping the central reservation barrier but got 2 wheels on the rough so was probably only inches away from the barrier. Then got a bit sideways getting off the rough back onto motorway and swerved about a bit. Kept it pointing relatively straight but ended up heading for the grass verge. That's when I braked. Bounced along the grass for a bit and finally stopped. Adrenalin was high by this point and I was actually thinking I've saved it. When I got out to look at the car I saw the wheel ripped off. 

Been there and done that a few years back (not a Boxster - Tyre and Tarmac technology couldn’t keep up with my ability 🤦🏼‍♂️).

Glad you are ok - looking forward to the rebuild thread 🏁

Edited by Andy Mac

23 hours ago, Tony Daniel said:

What broke on the rear, the subframe or the suspension links? Has it sheared the bolt off on the damper or did the the top mount rip out ?

Bottom ball joint mount of the hub snapped off - number 1. Arm number 17 snapped too. Strut sheared and top mount still in situ.

501-00_986_1997-04.gif

18 hours ago, daz05 said:

Interesting project keep us posted. Have you got a to do list to share with us?

Seems the best plan is to replace the broken hub and suspension parts so the wheel can be mounted back on the car. Then I can see if it will drive. Then quotes for body work.

20 minutes ago, ATM said:

Seems the best plan is to replace the broken hub and suspension parts so the wheel can be mounted back on the car. Then I can see if it will drive. Then quotes for body work.

Sounds like a good plan. Give Ben Butterworth at 9Apart a call and see if they have a hub assembly and strut.

9Apart

On 1/23/2019 at 10:01 AM, GTSMarky said:

I'd be seriously tempted to make this into a track car & as said above without shelter and time it's going to be a challenge.

If you'd like to move it on to a fellow forum member to get it off the road as for sure you need it to be taxed/insured etc by law?

Feel free to make me an offer. I've not thought about selling it yet but everything is for sale for the right price.

Car was meant to be arriving yesterday but got delayed. Hopefully it will be today.

I wasn't there when it arrived so i asked my Dad to be there. Since I'd last seen it the passenger window was now wide open or smashed and taped up. The drivers side door was being opened and closed without the window dropping - so still up and bashing the roof. Ignition key jammed in barrel. Car battery totally dead. My dad couldn't cope with instructions about the battery charger so it had to wait till I could get there after work. I had to use the jump leads of another car initially to get enough juice to operate the windows. Its now left on trickle.