Rebuilding my Wreck

ATM

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/26/2020 at 2:59 PM, ATM said:

Just couldn't decide which angle I preferred. Not repaired anything yet so car unchanged since the oil change. Just using the car as is with regular clutch fluid top ups.

The pdf attachments at the end of the first post may be of interest, if you've not already seen them, especially the PDK troubleshooting one which refers to a number of leak remediations.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/1172826-guide-to-repairing-a-pdk-transmission.html

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm not against centre caps. I do have a set for the 981 still in their wrappers. But until the car is right I dont see the point. 

I'm also planning a change of colour for the 996 wheels. I'm thinking of a red similar to the seat colour. So yes they will have centre caps at some point. I hope....

20201206-104744.jpg

Edited by ATM
Spelling
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, ATM said:

You can pass an MOT with an oil leak. It isn't even an advisory. 

As long as it's not significant. If the leak doesn't form a pool more than 75mm across in 5 minutes of monitoring, it's a pass. That applies to all fluids and is cumulative so a small oil leak and water leak might total enough for a failure.

• 5 months later...

Been using this a bit more recently with the nicer weather.  I dont really drive much nowadays as I dont commute.  I have joined a new gym so that adds some journeys but its only a short distance so probably bad for the car.  Surely it beats standing around outside and not going anywhere.  Still running Winter tyres which have plenty of grip even in the warmer dry weather.  Clearly I'm only pootling around.  Not ventured too far as the leak scares me.  So using the 996 for longer distances.  Been topping it up at a rate of knots. I do want to get the leak looked at but with the nice weather I've been less inclined to be without the car.  Hopefully that will change soon as I'm adding a 986 to the mix.  

2 hours ago, Cocky said:

How is the gearbox fairing up? 

Drives fine when full. I think it can drive fine when around 1 litre down. I start to notice a slight jerk when shifting occasionally as it gets low. Most obvious is it's first shift when cold from 1st to 2nd. Then I top it up and and takes about 1 litre and a half. Then droves fine again and repeat.

So if anyone reading this has a PDK which has a bit of a jerk from 1st to 2nd when cold you probably need to top up your fluid or better still change it.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, ATM said:

981 has a new problem. Turned on the air con - which I never use - and heard an awful noise. Turned it off and noise stopped.

Does the noise increase/decrease with the blower fan speed ? 

I recently had a piece of insulation fall onto the blower fan blades of my 987.2 and it made a horrible noise. I was able to get in from the cabin pollen filter and retrieve it.

The noise sounded like the video in this post.

https://www.planet-9.com/threads/strange-noise-when-turning-on-fans.247084/

None of this of course might be relevant to your issue.

Edited by iborguk