Rebuilding my Wreck

ATM

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/18/2019 at 8:59 PM, myfirstboxster said:

If it's on a public road will there be a road tax situation ?

Parked on a public road it must be taxed, insured and MOT'd even though it's a wreck!

Fair play to you. Interesting project. I assume most of the damage is mechanical - is there bodywork damage apart from the sill cover?

I would have thought an insurance assessor / loss adjuster would have made out a bill of repairs that will need to be carried out. That would be a good work list perhaps?

6 hours ago, Happy Days said:

Fair play to you. Interesting project. I assume most of the damage is mechanical - is there bodywork damage apart from the sill cover?

I would have thought an insurance assessor / loss adjuster would have made out a bill of repairs that will need to be carried out. That would be a good work list perhaps?

Well the assessment has all sorts on there, I have a copy. Lets kick off with the replacement rear alloy, a refurb to a front alloy and 2 new rear tyres. That's 2 grand right there.

6 hours ago, MIkeyv60 said:

It would be interesting to see how you get on with it, im guessing it was labour that caused the insurance company to write it off? Has it been marked as a cat car?

No the Labour wasn't too bad. Well that depends on your view I guess. Parts were 8 grand plus vat and extras another 2 grand. Total came to just over 17.

It will be marked and is already from before I bought it.

8 hours ago, ATM said:

No the Labour wasn't too bad. Well that depends on your view I guess. Parts were 8 grand plus vat and extras another 2 grand. Total came to just over 17.

It will be marked and is already from before I bought it.

It you can do alot  e could turn.out well. im guessing its a cat s which does affect its value . People will ask what damage occured etc . Have thought of the spares route if the rebuild doesnt work out?

43 minutes ago, MIkeyv60 said:

It you can do alot  e could turn.out well. im guessing its a cat s which does affect its value . People will ask what damage occured etc . Have thought of the spares route if the rebuild doesnt work out?

I'm not planning on doing much. Just bolting the suspension and wheel back on. I might have some problems with the brake pipe as I see some of the hard line attached to the wheel which was ripped off. The idea is to see If it drives and then If it does sort out body repairs. If it doesn't then have a rethink. I can't be arsed with stripping myself, I'll probably just sell as is.

Just tried the key blade in the door lock. It turns about 100 degrees either way from starting position but doesn't seem to unlock door. It's reasonably tricky to grip the tiny plastic bit at the end of the blade too. HELP - Has anyone ever unlocked their 981 door with the key blade?

1 hour ago, ATM said:

No

Although it's got some amps in now.

Getting a bit frustrated with the thing now if I'm honest. The thought of sorting it out is good. Then I see the poor thing sat on its ar*e and think what am I doing.

Don't lose heart. 

The secret is to break it down into manageable lumps. 

1. Keep an eye out for replacement tyres, not like you need them in a hurry! 

Etc. Etc. Etc. 

Good luck 😁

I've already got 3 sets of wheels, in 18, 19 and 20. The jury is still out on the wheel which was ripped off. It could be fine. My 18 set are Cayman Winters and if the car was wearing them on that day it may of been fine. I bought the 19 as a used set of Winters too but the year before and then switched the tyres to Summer so I still have the used 19 Winter tyres too. And finally I have the 20 Carrera Classics. I just found the ride so much more fidgety on 20 and the awful Pirelli n0 put me off and I was constantly worrying about curbs too. The car did look good on the 20 I guess but I'm happy enough with it on which ever wheels feel better. I've experienced various car crime incidents like car jacking so the less shouty the wheels I hope means the less of a target I'll be - if you can ever be less of a target in a modern Porsche. I also started thinking of going x73 because my car doesn't have PASM. There is absolutely no need, it's just my inner demons which always want to tinker. I'm trying to remember that when the car was working it was absolutely fine. These modern Porsche do lack feel but for an easy car to potter around in with a tricky auto gearbox which can drop it's roof and still make me feel good then it's a winner. Until I buy another 986 or try a 987 or maybe even an ugly looking 996/997 cab.