Rebuilding my Wreck

ATM

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I managed to get the car off the ground. I used some wood up to the top mount and jacked it up enough to get some wood under the big A frame which goes under the back of the car. It's been sitting on this so I'm assuming it's strong enough to hold the weight of the car.

I then removed the coffin arm which looks fine and the snapped track control arm.

I've bought a complete corner from a damaged 2.7 which is the hub, drive shaft, disc, complete strut, hand brake gubbins and all arms. The disc will be different so I will reuse my old one. I hope this will just bolt on and then I could put the wheel back on. 

By buying the whole corner I've simplified what I need to do. One of the drive shaft gaitors from my old one is split and would need fettling. It's just a matter of bolting this corner on now and connecting the big wiring plug and brake pipe.

I've got 2 or 3 main concerns now.

1. The half shaft or stub axle - whatever it's called. This goes right through the gearbox to the diff on the other side. Mine looks ok but I'm just guessing really. It's a bit mucky but hopefully would clean up fine. I believe these have a circlip on the splined end which would click into the diff. I dont see this clip on mine and can't imagine how it would have fell off as it's difficult to get on and off. Could it be in pieces in the my gearbox - they are meant to allow the shaft to pull out so I think is unlikely. I may be wrong about the clip as I can't find any info about my box online.  The other end would presumably mount into some form of seal on the gearbox. I dont see a seal in my gearbox or on the shaft and this end of the shaft is also very mucky and rusty. So do I just clean up this shaft and push it into the box and hope for the best?

2. The flexible brake pipe from my old hub is still attached along with a small bracket and some hard pipe. Therefore I'm assuming the hard brake pipe on the  car is damaged. I think I can see where the bracket attached to the car. There is some thread snapped off I've indicated in one of the pics. Clearly I can't even try driving the car until this brake pipe is replaced as I will have no brakes so I'll need to investigate where it goes. 

3. Gearbox oil is low I think so I need to top this up. I'm tempted to drop the oil and put in new but no idea how complicated that is. Can I buy some for topping up from anywhere like Halfords or is it special stuff. Does anyone know what fluid to use and how to top up the PDK box?

Firstly kudos for taking this on, been looking forward to your update

i am no expert but as you say simplifying having the complete strut now.

i can't see from your pictures but i assume the top mount is still in the car, i would remove that first,

2 as the drive shaft has pulled out of the box surely you have to remove the cv end from the box, i would say your old shaft has the potential to be damaged and would not be using it again even a slight off would cause vibration .

3 i would offer up the whole second hand strut up including drive shaft and get it rolling and then take it to someone for brake pipe work gearbox oil etc

my 2 cents but don't know how capable you or with the spanners, keep up the good work

I'm totally incapable. But arms and struts are dead easy especially with reasonably new bolts and nuts. The wheel arch is massive on these modern Porsches so you have more room too. I'm trying to not spend too much before I know if the engine and box are sound. I could bolt on the new corner but that may need to come off again if the shaft isn't in the gearbox. 

The drive shaft bolts to the half shaft. It has 6 bolts. This is then basically a long straight bar with splines at one end and the 6 bolt cup thing at the other. It's probably 12 to 16 inches long. Like I say the diff is on the other side of the car so the opposite side will have a much smaller shaft maybe 3 or 4 inches only. The drive shaft you see will be identical on both side with a CV joint at each end. This shaft you wouldn't normally see. You would just see the 6 bolt cup thing on the side of the box and on the other side too.

I'll split it from the drive shaft today and take some pics. I think I found one on eBay. Checking...

I would just buy a new half shaft from Porsche. That way you can be sure it's OK. 

Also, if you have a look at the Design911 website, they have essentially the PET2 (dealer Porsche parts catalogue with diagrams) on it. 

I have the full version at home so if you're needing part numbers and prices, let me know. 

Once reassembled can you  jack up the rear of the car (securely of course) and see whether it will run?  You could do this before getting the brake line sorted.  Not sure whether the computer will allow this of course but worth a shot.

You can see the length of brake line and where it goes on the PET2 catalogue. If it's very long, there may be a lot of dismantling involved to get the pipe to its destination. 

It'll be much easier to make your own cupro nickel repair section and repair it at the break. 

Edited by The Caped Crusader