Anyone tried something similar to this for stone chip repair?

smartin

Hi all,

Got a few small stone chips that I want to address before I attempt a ceramic coating on my 2012 Boxster S and was looking around for the best way (other than respray!) to make them look good. The car is Aqua Blue metallic and so the stone chips show up easily.

Came across this video of a guy using a very fine paint tool to fill in loads of stone chips on an old 911. Anyone tried something like this - it seems to generate tiny little drops of paint that you keep dotting until the area is filled and avoids the usual big blob from a standard touch up paint brush.

Looked quite good to me when they showed the final result.

Any other simple methods that work with decent results?

I've seen Chipex mentioned somewhere and that involved dabbing blobs of paint on and then removing the excess with some blending solution.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That looks a very neat solution.  Found the paint tool on Amazon for £8.80.  I might have to grab one to try...

I have tried Chipex with mixed results.

Sorry no help to you but thanks for a good find 👍

1 hour ago, rowbos said:

That looks a very neat solution.  Found the paint tool on Amazon for £8.80.  I might have to grab one to try...

Looks like the professional painting pen for car paint (rock chip repair) costs £26.99. Could be  a worth it though.

47 minutes ago, zorbs said:

Looks like the professional painting pen for car paint (rock chip repair) costs £26.99. Could be  a worth it though.

Yeah I saw that. But that pen for £26.99 also states... (so I looked further and found the cheaper Loew option that apparently is identical - I have one on order now?)...

• IMPORTANT: You will receive an original "KingArt Inkline Painting Pen" which is EXACTLY the same as the "Kemper Fluid Writer Pen" or the "Loew Cornell Fine Line Painting Pen". There are no qualitative or optical differences between these three pencils.

11 minutes ago, rowbos said:

Yeah I saw that. But that pen for £26.99 also states... (so I looked further and found the cheaper Loew option that apparently is identical - I have one on order now?)...

• IMPORTANT: You will receive an original "KingArt Inkline Painting Pen" which is EXACTLY the same as the "Kemper Fluid Writer Pen" or the "Loew Cornell Fine Line Painting Pen". There are no qualitative or optical differences between these three pencils.

Yes, I saw that as well, must confess to being a bit confused by it! With Amazon confusion is an art form in my view.

Let us know how you get on with it.

7 minutes ago, zorbs said:

Yes, I saw that as well, must confess to being a bit confused by it! With Amazon confusion is an art form in my view.

Let us know how you get on with it.

I also chose Amazon as the supplier so it was £8.82.  I’ve had issues in the past using Amazon storefront suppliers who might be a little cheaper but Amazon direct are super reliable and if you have any issues there are no questions asked.  

1 hour ago, Boxob said:

@Araf any chance this thread could be moved out of the "How to" forum? (And this post deleted?)

Already moved.  I was late to the party. :( 

1 hour ago, Toeside said:

Try a cocktail stick ........... and paint  .............. low tech works 

Yep, this is what I use.

Got a Chipex kit for the Boxster, don’t get on with it at all. However, I do find that the paint is much easier to use with a cocktail stick.

For my daily, the Halfords 3 pen paint chip repair kit is actually very good. Not only is there a brush, there is also a ‘pen’ type applicator - similar to a tipex type pen with a fine nib, it’s excellent at stone chip repairs.

On 1/30/2019 at 5:56 PM, rowbos said:

Did you ever get the tool and give it a bash, what was the results? Would be interested to have a go myself.

1 minute ago, the baron said:

Did you ever get the tool and give it a bash, what was the results? Would be interested to have a go myself.

Waiting for delivery, I believe it's expected today as I ordered Wednesday night as I lounged in my hotel room idly browsing...

Am I right in thinking that the official Porsche touch up paints for metallic colours (such as my Aqua Blue metallic) will come as separate paint and clear coat bottles? Perhaps other suppliers might provide a pre-mixed kit?

If so, wondering how best to use them with that painting tool? First dab the paint in, let it dry and then repeat with the clear coat? Maybe the clear coat will be too thick for that tool, in which case either thin it down with thinners or just ignore the clear coat step.

They tried to deliver mine today but I had popped out and it’s at the Post Office - will collect tomorrow) assuming the failed delivery is this!). Annoying as they normally leave everything on the porch for me.  

On 2/1/2019 at 7:45 PM, PaulQ said:

As above, just use a cocktail stick or similar to apply. 

This ^^^^ has always worked.  I think people are making money from over-engineering the cocktail stick. :)

13 minutes ago, rowbos said:

Now received.  Looks quite neat. And far more techie than a cocktail stick.  Mere shaped wood pah! 😇

Try sticking it through a bit of pineapple and cheese, and you'll soon find the limitations. ;) 

Archived