Anyone tried something similar to this for stone chip repair?

smartin

6 minutes ago, Araf said:

Try sticking it through a bit of pineapple and cheese, and you'll soon find the limitations. ;) 

I have separate special implements for my cheese and pineapple as it happens.   I wouldn’t be without these.  I couldn’t resist when I saw them in the deli 😌

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, rowbos said:

I have separate special implements for my cheese and pineapple as it happens.   I wouldn’t be without these.  I couldn’t resist when I saw them in the deli 😌

mmm...do you have 750 little pr*cks or is that a library picture....I'm calling custard on this!

5 hours ago, Stuart21UK said:

mmm...do you have 750 little pr*cks or is that a library picture....I'm calling custard on this!

That’s library.  I only have one container!   I will take a photo when I go downstairs 😇

Just looked and they have been moved from the cupboard in the kitchen.  Will interrogate my family later.  Have to get ready to brave the elements for Hayes Motor Museum!

14 hours ago, Stuart21UK said:

Found them.  They were at the back of the cupboard.  No custard available though, will Tofu do? 😏

And they are rather posh little pr*cks, nicely turned, not like your standard common cocktail sticks...

12 hours ago, rowbos said:

That’s library.  I only have one container!   I will take a photo when I go downstairs 😇

Just looked and they have been moved from the cupboard in the kitchen.  Will interrogate my family later.  Have to get ready to brave the elements for Hayes Motor Museum!

used for covert car paint correction (by said family)?

4 hours ago, rowbos said:

Found them.  They were at the back of the cupboard.  No custard available though, will Tofu do? 😏

And they are rather posh little pr*cks, nicely turned, not like your standard common cocktail sticks...

I sorted the custard for you...and olives...really...they're tooth picks....seem you need them too (th)

0Ravzvf.jpg

20 minutes ago, Stuart21UK said:

I sorted the custard for you...and olives...really...they're tooth picks....seem you need them too (th)

0Ravzvf.jpg

Cheers mate.   Appreciate it 😳

I’ll save a few of these little pr*cks for the voodoo doll I’m just creating for you...

:lol:  I thought it better not to say anything about the picture, until Stuart had a copy.  

Now I can add that I can see that head being shrunk and added to lots of new pictures in the future. :D 

1 hour ago, Araf said:

:lol:  I thought it better not to say anything about the picture, until Stuart had a copy.  

Now I can add that I can see that head being shrunk and added to lots of new pictures in the future. :D 

@rowbos left the door open there with the nice clear crisp photo :thumbsup_anim:

we could market these along with the 'posh pr*cks' .... I think I could have my first sale with @rowbos wife

eR22ect.jpg

You lot...🤣

Now, to get back on topic, while looking on amazon at the pen I spotted these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Power-TEC-91452-Touch-Tips-Set/dp/B00ATPNSKA/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1549235650&sr=1-1&keywords=touch+up+sticks 

Anyone used them?  They look good too, I'd imagine filling the pen with ink and then cleaning it a bit of a faff every time I had a stone chip to do.  I have used cocktail sticks a few times with decent results.

On 2/1/2019 at 11:07 PM, Stuart21UK said:

I ordered one of those tools and it came yesterday...looks well made but I've not used it (and not likely to until the weather is warmer and dryer)

Mine turned up today (only ordered it yesterday and thought it was going to be delivered tomorrow). Just need some paint now and I will give it a go!

Mine came yesterday. I’ve placed it on the shelf with my selection of dent pullers that weren’t particularly successful, a set of locking wheel nut removers that didn’t remove my lockering wheel nuts and some brushed aluminium wrap that I didn’t like the look of! 

Fingers crossed this proves to be of more use 😩

On 5 February 2019 at 10:43 AM, smartin said:

Mine turned up today (only ordered it yesterday and thought it was going to be delivered tomorrow). Just need some paint now and I will give it a go!

Now have the paint, too. What will the best thing to clean the tool with after use? Paint thinners, white spirit or just warm water?

Also, will it a case of building up enough paint in the chip to sand it back level before polishing? Or maybe this will put so little paint down that won't be needed.

itching to get out there and try it but weather not playing ball at the moment.

Saw a really interesting demo on a PCGB visit to Poole Accident Repair yesterday.  Recommended way to fill a stone chip is with SUPER GLUE!!! No fancy tools needed - just used a pointed plastic tool (toothpick also ok or sharp point of pieces of wet and dry), drop a small blob of glue into chip, wait a mo then smudge with wet finger (or apparently you can buy an activator spray), then sand with various grades of wet and dry and DA or Rotary polisher with coarse compound and coarse pad. He applied ZERO pressure with the polisher.

Interestingly the guy also said fancy microfibre cloths and fancy expensive  waxes etc etc are a waste if time. A dishcloth or old t shirt works just as well and there are only 6 or 7 companies in the world making waxes etc so alot of products from different brands are actually the same, just branded and marketed at higher prices . I heard exactly same from the guy who painted my car recently.

Only ceramic which is recommended as really durable is Tribos which is used on super yachts and aircraft - can be used on windscreen too which completely removes need for wipers BUT costs several thousand to do whole car! 

On 2/10/2019 at 1:36 PM, red rocket said:

Saw a really interesting demo on a PCGB visit to Poole Accident Repair yesterday.  Recommended way to fill a stone chip is with SUPER GLUE!!! No fancy tools needed - just used a pointed plastic tool (toothpick also ok or sharp point of pieces of wet and dry), drop a small blob of glue into chip, wait a mo then smudge with wet finger (or apparently you can buy an activator spray), then sand with various grades of wet and dry and DA or Rotary polisher with coarse compound and coarse pad. He applied ZERO pressure with the polisher.

My GT Silver 987 has a black bonnet underneath so i cant see how this works. I'm in the process of filling and wetsanding before mopping back all of the stone ciips on mine at the moment

28 minutes ago, Takahashi said:

My GT Silver 987 has a black bonnet underneath so i cant see how this works. I'm in the process of filling and wetsanding before mopping back all of the stone ciips on mine at the moment

You would need to use a smidge of base colour first.

Just seen this thread and by total coincidence I bought one of these tools a month or so ago, I’ve not used yet so can’t comment on how successful it will be. I’ve used toothpicks in the past but the issue (for me) is getting the right amount of paint on it, it’s usually too much or too little for the chip at hand, and a pain keeping going to the pot for a reload. I think if you are just doing one or two chips then a toothpick may still be the way to go. This tool looks great for an attack on multiple chips.

One thing I worry about with this tool is whether it will work on vertical surfaces or whether the paint will just run out of the reservoir, but it does look to produce very small blobs that should be great for small chips or can build up multiple blobs for bigger chips. As said trying to go with base then lacquer isn’t going to be easy IMO, either just use base or mix a bit of base and lacquer first.

28 minutes ago, Greenman said:

Just seen this thread and by total coincidence I bought one of these tools a month or so ago, I’ve not used yet so can’t comment on how successful it will be. I’ve used toothpicks in the past but the issue (for me) is getting the right amount of paint on it, it’s usually too much or too little for the chip at hand, and a pain keeping going to the pot for a reload. I think if you are just doing one or two chips then a toothpick may still be the way to go. This tool looks great for an attack on multiple chips.

One thing I worry about with this tool is whether it will work on vertical surfaces or whether the paint will just run out of the reservoir, but it does look to produce very small blobs that should be great for small chips or can build up multiple blobs for bigger chips. As said trying to go with base then lacquer isn’t going to be easy IMO, either just use base or mix a bit of base and lacquer first.

I gave it a go yesterday on a couple of sets of chips - 1 on the front wing and the other set on the bumper just above the number plate. It does produce very small dots of paint.

Before and after shots of the front wing chip were not taken from the same place/lighting conditions but here you go. The chip is in the middle of each photo

Before:

wH4tMN8.jpg

After:

dvylVCZ.jpg

Archived