Anyone tried something similar to this for stone chip repair?

smartin

41 minutes ago, smartin said:

I gave it a go yesterday on a couple of sets of chips - 1 on the front wing and the other set on the bumper just above the number plate. It does produce very small dots of paint.

Before and after shots of the front wing chip were not taken from the same place/lighting conditions but here you go. The chip is in the middle of each photo

Before:

After:

That looks like a decent result - it's a bit hard to tell - are you pleased?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, rowbos said:

That looks like a decent result - it's a bit hard to tell - are you pleased?

It was a lot more difficult to find it to take the picture, so yeah, pleased with that. The cluster on the bumper doesn't look so good, though and I think I might need to put some more paint in those. When I zoom into the "after" picture of the bumper ones I think I can see some bits that I missed.

This was using a premixed, non-official, touch up paint I got off eBay.

Not bad for a first attempt, I suppose! I'm no artist (or photographing, either 😂) and was surprised I didn't put little dots all over the place, to be honest:D

35 minutes ago, smartin said:

It was a lot more difficult to find it to take the picture, so yeah, pleased with that. The cluster on the bumper doesn't look so good, though and I think I might need to put some more paint in those. When I zoom into the "after" picture of the bumper ones I think I can see some bits that I missed.

Not bad for a first attempt, I suppose! I'm no artist (or photographing, either 😂) and was surprised I didn't put little dots all over the place, to be honest:D

Good stuff. I have some on my bonnet and being black they do show up.  I have a couple of paint options.  Chipex and an OEM Porsche touch up paint.  

Just need the time and inclination to have a go.

What did you clean yours with?  Standard thinners?

36 minutes ago, rowbos said:

Good stuff. I have some on my bonnet and being black they do show up.  I have a couple of paint options.  Chipex and an OEM Porsche touch up paint.  

I had an old bottle of paint brush cleaner lying around so used that to clean the tool after I had finished with it. Could probably have cleaned the reservoir bit better using a cotton bud or something but made sure that I used the cleaning tool to poke any paint through the nib. Even left the cleaning tool in place for half an hour to prevent paint drying up inside the nib part and potentially blocking it for future use.

Might have another go at the small cluster of chips on the bumper to see if I can make it look better next weekend. Will find out if I cleaned the tool out properly then!

8 minutes ago, Glosrich said:

I've got an Aqua Blue Cayman, with the usual gravel rash on the back arches. I've just bought the Chipex kit, so I'll let you know how I get on when the weather improves.

Keep me in the loop on this one mate. I have a aqua blue as well 

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 8:20 PM, smartin said:

Really good work that is Smartin :)

On 2/11/2019 at 9:00 PM, rowbos said:

Black is terrible for showing up chips....when I got rid of my Basalt 987 the bonnet looked like the opening credits to Star Wars!

....so I went googling for the screen grab and after 20 mins stumbled across this!

I'm sure @John K will find it amusing..

4 minutes ago, Stuart21UK said:

Black is terrible for showing up chips....when I got rid of my Basalt 987 the bonnet looked like the opening credits to Star Wars!

....so I went googling for the screen grab and after 20 mins stumbled across this!

Very good 🤓

I ve got a few chips to do on mine, I’m thinking about using the Dr Colour chip. I used on my last seal grey Boxster and it worked very well.

Ive got a Dr Colour chip kit here, ready to use on my friends Altas Grey Cayman. I may try a bit at the weekend but his car needs some major polishing first👍

On 2/21/2019 at 10:39 PM, Stuart21UK said:

I'm never sending out another CV, I will just send them this video..! :thumbsup_still:

And alarmingly there may be some truth in it, a week has gone by and no sign of Postbox Blondie, I can't even recall seeing her drive by (not that I'm watching), you can use a different route to get to the main road. Perhaps she has read the forum... 

2 hours ago, John K said:

I'm never sending out another CV, I will just send them this video..! :thumbsup_still:

And alarmingly there may be some truth in it, a week has gone by and no sign of Postbox Blondie, I can't even recall seeing her drive by (not that I'm watching), you can use a different route to get to the main road. Perhaps she has read the forum... 

Probably someone in her management chain.  They must have changed things around with H&S in mind 🤔

Have you received any post at all this week or do your post days seem over? 

• 2 months later...

Today I tried the Lowe Cornell Fine line painting pen on some stone chips for the first time.  In a word -brilliant, it has the combination of very fine dots of paint and actual paint flow which means you can get as fine as you like (or really how steady your hand is and how good your eyesight), but also have the flow to allow you to fill larger chips.  

Ive tried cocktail sticks - ok for small chips but getting the correct amount of paint on the stick is a time consuming challenge, various brushes- again getting the right amount of paint on is difficult, plus both of these require constant reloading of the tool.

Pros of Lowe Cornell Pen:

- can use for very fine chips

- good paint flow means you can fill bigger chips easily

- no continual reloading (I addressed about 30-40 small blemishes and didn’t need to reload at all)

- no problem with getting the correct amount of paint loaded 

Cons

- its gravity fed so you can’t really do underside of bumper or similar.

- bit of a pain to clean up

All in all I recommend

26 minutes ago, Greenman said:

Today I tried the Lowe Cornell Fine line painting pen on some stone chips for the first time.  In a word -brilliant, it has the combination of very fine dots of paint and actual paint flow which means you can get as fine as you like (or really how steady your hand is and how good your eyesight), but also have the flow to allow you to fill larger chips.  

Ive tried cocktail sticks - ok for small chips but getting the correct amount of paint on the stick is a time consuming challenge, various brushes- again getting the right amount of paint on is difficult, plus both of these require constant reloading of the tool.

Pros of Lowe Cornell Pen:

- can use for very fine chips

- good paint flow means you can fill bigger chips easily

- no continual reloading (I addressed about 30-40 small blemishes and didn’t need to reload at all)

- no problem with getting the correct amount of paint loaded 

Cons

- its gravity fed so you can’t really do underside of bumper or similar.

- bit of a pain to clean up

All in all I recommend

Great 👍

Mines still on my desk...

Did you clean each individual chip with alcohol or similar first?

Yeh I had just washed the car then just wiped them over with a dab on a cloth around the areas I was going to address to ensure no grease or wax in the chip holes, the paint seemed to stick pretty well. In a couple of days I’ll go over the areas with wax to reapply the protection (not planning on driving the car the next couple of days)

Archived