Brake Caliper Paint issue

chanlon1

Removed the calipers over the weekend and brushed them down.

Washed them with paint prep wipes and brake cleaner.

Sprayed the caliper paint on, and did many fine coats, however there were always a few spots that didn't see to want to take the paint.....it seemed like the paint physically wouldn't stay on. 

I've circled these in the below photo.

Any ideas?

Should I just mask off the area, sand it down a bit and respray? 

Or do I sand the whole caliper down again and start from scratch?

I'm trying the next caliper with a different brand of spray incase there was something strange going on.

E45zfC7.jpg

Other than those marks, they seem to have come out okay, just need to apply the decals........

RzCiRP4.jpg

Hi there 

Its normally grease/silicone that causes these types of problems. I think I sand the problem spots and put a bit of primer on them. Give them a light sand again and dust some red over the freshly primed spots. The primer should help stop the reaction 👍

If they are just anodised from factory as some black ones are (cant see to well so maybe yours are) then you normally need a decent etch primer first, you cant just spray top coat on and expect it to stick or not react a little.

Update. I sanded down the little spots mentioned above. 

Primed them and respirated. Unfortunately you can see the difference in thickness where I sanded. 

Ended up wirebrushing the whole caliper again. 

Will be spraying primer over it this morning and starting again!

The other caliper seems to be okay. 

Thanks for the suggestions so far. 

Colin. 

I think considering how bad they were they have come out well. I have only ever repainted calipers that have been originally red so I’ve never had to etch primer.

I tend to put a coat of lacquer over even if the red paint I’ve used says you don’t need it. I find they stay glossier for longer with the extra coat of lacquer. You haven’t got to go crazy, just a couple of light coats will do it 👍

Lovely job😎, any slight imperfections you notice while spraying will be lost when on the car. I made a right pigs ear of my fronts with paint reactions etc, but they still looked good unless you were on your knees peering through the wheels at them😀

32 minutes ago, Nobbie said:

Lovely job😎, any slight imperfections you notice while spraying will be lost when on the car. I made a right pigs ear of my fronts with paint reactions etc, but they still looked good unless you were on your knees peering through the wheels at them😀

tell me about it.....they were looking great until I was putting them on and started to get them dirty and the odd scratch made with the ratchet

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2019 at 7:50 PM, chanlon1 said:

Its not 100% perfect but way better than it was. 

Doesnt have any laquer on it....should I?

bUJl5y4.jpg

Hi Chanlon,

These look great - can I ask where you sourced your decals please?

12 hours ago, John2000 said:

+1 for what @chanlon1  I used these and they have been on over a year now and still look good and my cars outside all the time

Cheers John.

Out of interest, did you lacquer over the top of the stickers or just stick the stickers on and leave them?

14 minutes ago, dpg123 said:

Cheers John.

Out of interest, did you lacquer over the top of the stickers or just stick the stickers on and leave them?

I sprayed lacquer over them ... just to be on the safe side.

I tested the lacquer on a spanner and sacrificed one of the decals as a "test subject" ..... there wasn't any reactions etc

QQndWJW.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Lacquer will keep the stickers in place and not degrade over time, 

i sprayed mine up, black with white decals but did it in situ, as others have said any imperfections really wont be obvious when on the car behind the wheel.

Archived