Porsche Active Dynamic Mount (PADM) Fault

981Ad

Hello All,

Had this pop up during a drive yesterday. After a google it seems to relate to the active engine mounts that come as part of the Sport Chrono pack. Most people seem to have had this fixed under extended warranty but unfortunately I don’t have that pleasure. Anyone had this done before at an independent and if so, do you mind me asking what the damage was?

Thanks,

Adam

Edited by 981Ad
  • Like 1

I had two done under warranty at OPC.  It was 4 hours labour, but I believe the part is around £950, but whether any can be obtained at a better price than that I don’t know.

i believe there were some batches of these prone to failure, I think they have magnetic coils in that can short out.  I think when failed they effectively default into comfort mode, so you can still drive the car fine.

Edited by Greenman
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, 981Ad said:

Hello All,

Had this pop up during a drive yesterday. After a google it seems to relate to the active engine mounts that come as part of the Sport Chrono pack. Most people seem to have had this fixed under extended warranty but unfortunately I don’t have that pleasure. Anyone had this done before at an independent and if so, do you mind me asking what the damage was?

Thanks,

Adam

What's the year and mileage Adam.

Thanks for everyone’s feedback! It’s a 2013 and 50k miles, first major fault in the 25k I have owned it.

Fat Haggis I haven’t tried to reset if I am honest but worth a shot to see if it was just a false reading. Need to buy a reader, as guess my 370Z one won’t work! 

2 hours ago, ATM said:

I saw one one on Ebay recently. How hard can it be to change?

4 hours labour suggests it's relatively involved, rather than just support engine and swap mount. Suspect a fair bit of dismantling is involved to get sufficient access.

8 minutes ago, Toeside said:

Thanks! So it’s going to be a good £1200+ then with labour even at an Indie.

Edit - Just seen it’s actually £1125 with the VAT ouch. So probably more like £1500 fitted 😐

Edited by 981Ad

The reliability of these mounts isn't great Just turned down extending my warranty so fingers crossed. Hope you get things sorted. What about fitting non dynamic mounts and deleting the input? Just throwing up ideas an Indie might know some pragmatic alternative options?

22 minutes ago, Toeside said:

The reliability of these mounts isn't great Just turned down extending my warranty so fingers crossed. Hope you get things sorted. What about fitting non dynamic mounts and deleting the input? Just throwing up ideas an Indie might know some pragmatic alternative options?

I can understand your thinking but the standard mounts aren’t cheap and I would then need both changing. Not sure how it would effect the used value as well, given that I could no longer list it has sports chrono.

I think your right that it’s worth phoning around a few independents to see what there thoughts are. Surely mine isn’t the first case outside of warranty!

Edited by 981Ad

18 hours ago, Toeside said:

What about fitting non dynamic mounts and deleting the input? Just throwing up ideas an Indie might know some pragmatic alternative options?

On my last OPC visit to have one of these sorted I asked the engineer if this was possible, you would have thought I’d just told him I was sleeping with his mother!  Hi didn’t explicitly exclude the possibility but didn’t say it was possible either, so none the wiser really.  Of course you would have to replace both and decode on PIWIS so it would likely be no cheaper just taking one failure case.

You will need PIWIS anyway to diagnose which mount you have an issue with as it won’t be obvious.

• Thanks 1

So it’s booked in at Northway for the end of April (Earliest they could fit me in). The sensor in the mount was none responsive, so couldn’t reset it or get any other information. It’s one unit so the whole thing is dead and is currently just acting as a standard mount, so no harm in driving it for 4 weeks.

£900 for the part and £300 for labour.

On 3/23/2019 at 6:26 PM, Greenman said:

I had two done under warranty at OPC.  It was 4 hours labour, but I believe the part is around £950, but whether any can be obtained at a better price than that I don’t know.

i believe there were some batches of these prone to failure, I think they have magnetic coils in that can short out.  I think when failed they effectively default into comfort mode, so you can still drive the car fine.

Quite pricey for a part. Up to each person whether they think both mounts are from the same dodgy batch and therefore better to replace both at the same time. I wonder how much it would save on the labour costs (if at all!)

4 hours ago, RBD914 v2 said:

Would it be worth putting a warranty on it then getting it done, or would an OPC pick up the fault beforehand?

Unfortunately, a message appears in the binnacle every powerup, even when dismissed it leaves a small yellow ‘!’,   so no chance of them not noticing.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to conclude here for anyone searching for this topic in a few years. Work completed last week took around 6 hours and around £1200 for one Active Mount fitted.

Northway were great, so if this happens to you I would go there if you are local. 

33 minutes ago, Patt said:

I've had two replaced so far in less than 2000 miles under extended warranty  - think they quoted £2500 for the last one.

2014 with 35K

£2500 - they must be mistaken (or maybe quoting the cost of doing two)?  My OPC had mine done in under 4 hours, I know this as I picked it up done 4 hrs after dropping off, and the part as quoted above is around £900-1000. So I’m not sure how they could inflate that to £2500