Porsche Active Dynamic Mount (PADM) Fault

981Ad

On 5/3/2019 at 12:54 PM, Patt said:

I've had two replaced so far in less than 2000 miles under extended warranty  - think they quoted £2500 for the last one.

2014 with 35K

Think I may reinstate my warranty when I approach that mileage lol.

23 hours ago, daz05 said:

Think I may reinstate my warranty when I approach that mileage lol.

I don’t think these are really mileage related, I had one replaced at around 13k and onother at 19k, they are just pretty random if you happen to have a bad batch.

• 10 months later...

PADM warning just happened to me.

981S, 2014, 27,000 miles.  Didn't extend the warranty. 

Done OK up until now, Looks like over three years' warranty savings about to be wiped out. Its anybody's guess when repairers will open again,  is it safe to drive ? (for essential shopping obviously!) 

1 hour ago, J & F Hux said:

thanks Patt

it feels like jelly.

It's just I need to keep it ticking over from time to time as we await the return of normal service. (the bill sounds far from normal, tho')

from what I have read, parts "relatively" cheap - labour (engine out) killer - so maybe do both sides while it is in pieces.

I didn't say it would feel normal.  Feels a lot less tight and sloppy - as if the suspension were way past its replacement date of 1984

When my first one went Porsche assistance said their computer didn't categorise it as a return to base fault.

When the AA man came out, we agreed it was not "fit for purpose" and he made some calls that resulted in a low loader collecting it and taking it over to Reading OPC.

When the second went - I told OPC to call Porsche Assist as I was not prepared to jump through the hoops.

It is not an engine out job, seem to recall 2 hours but I'll hunt through my emails and see if I still have the quote they sent me.

18 hours ago, Paul P said:

from what I have read, parts "relatively" cheap - labour (engine out) killer - so maybe do both sides while it is in pieces.

Not really.  Part is £1000ish a side.  Labour is about 4 hrs, it isn’t engine out.

5 hours ago, Patt said:

I didn't say it would feel normal.  Feels a lot less tight and sloppy - as if the suspension were way past its replacement date of 1984

When my first one went Porsche assistance said their computer didn't categorise it as a return to base fault.

When the AA man came out, we agreed it was not "fit for purpose" and he made some calls that resulted in a low loader collecting it and taking it over to Reading OPC.

When the second went - I told OPC to call Porsche Assist as I was not prepared to jump through the hoops.

It is not an engine out job, seem to recall 2 hours but I'll hunt through my emails and see if I still have the quote they sent me.

It looks like there are different failure modes, as when each of mine went you could barely tell, certainly in normal day to day driving,.

22 hours ago, J & F Hux said:

thanks all, for the above.

Its a difficult call now whether to do one, or both? 

i.e if they fail at random, "bad batch" and so on, likelihood is that the opposite side could also be affected.

In my case I had issues with both, but there seem plenty of people where just one has gone and the other has been fine.  Based on my Experiance of cost etc the part costs around £1000. With 4 hours labour,  I suspect if you had both sides done at the same time it would be around 6 hrs labour, so having them done together would only save you 2 hrs labour (my guesstimate of course).   You could get quotes for both, but if it was me I suspect I’d just be changing one. 

I haven’t had an issue with my second one yet, so just go with one as it’s the part that’s 80% of the cost.

I drove on mine for 4 weeks and had no issues what so ever. Just no launch control ;) 

23 minutes ago, 981Ad said:

I haven’t had an issue with my second one yet, so just go with one as it’s the part that’s 80% of the cost.

I drove on mine for 4 weeks and had no issues what so ever. Just no launch control ;) 

A month without launch control , how on earth did you manage 😲

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was under the impression these mounts worked in comfort mode unless you hit the sports plus button so if the magnetic field shorts out and you get a code fired up and the mounts are technically still in comfort mode what is the harm in just getting rid of the code like you would if you fit standard engine mounts? 

Or does this mean the mounts are no longer firm enough when driving in anger? 

From reading many of posts online now regarding PADM failure and people being out of warranty I am shocked most don't just fit standard mounts. Especially if Chrono never gets used in their cars. 

9 minutes ago, 986CKY said:

I was under the impression these mounts worked in comfort mode unless you hit the sports plus button so if the magnetic field shorts out and you get a code fired up and the mounts are technically still in comfort mode what is the harm in just getting rid of the code like you would if you fit standard engine mounts? 

Or does this mean the mounts are no longer firm enough when driving in anger? 

From reading many of posts online now regarding PADM failure and people being out of warranty I am shocked most don't just fit standard mounts. Especially if Chrono never gets used in their cars. 

Why shocked ? Its flags up an error and why would you penny pinch?