Porsche Active Dynamic Mount (PADM) Fault

981Ad

18 hours ago, bandit_287 said:

I thought PASM was the same thing? Electronic damper control option 475. Or are you talking about a different system?

Edit. I think PADM is electronic engine dampers or something like that? They’re not mentioned on my cars option listing so I don’t think I’ve got them. 

I got confused. 

Yes active drivechain mounts (PADM) come as part of the Sport Chrono package (lap timing clock on the dash). Otherwise you have passive (rubber) units.  These are completely independent to PASM.  

• 4 months later...

Mine just failed with both PASM and PADM faults showing after a problem starting due to flat battery. I charged up the battery and the faults were displayed even before I moved the car.

I called Porsche Assist who sent an AA man within 30 mins who could see no faults on the OBD but the lights remained. The strange thing was he asked whether I'd ever had a problem with the cabin fan (I had) as this was common on this car.

I checked later with my own OBD and no faults shown but the two warnings still present on the dash. Booked into Portsmouth to fix under warranty. I'd only asked for a quote for warranty renewal 3 days earlier and wondered whether Porsche were able to send the fault over the ether so I'd sign up for a renewal.

Having never heard of this issue, an internet search reveals all. A bit like the blower fan which another OPC denied ever hearing of and would only replace it if it displayed the fault at time of presenting it to them. Some firm words got it changed under warranty and hopefully a better experience awaits for fixing this fault.

Is the dual PASM/PADM warning common?

Porsche’s (and many other modern cars) are pretty sensitive to voltage level and low voltages cause a number of sensors  to misread -> mayhem.  Looks very much like this is you issue but for some reason the lights are not resetting. Would be very unlikely you had genuine PASM and PADM issues at the same time (unless a control module was flooded or similar).   I expect a PIWIS reset/clear will do the job here.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Greenman, that's what I thought, it all happened after I turned the key on a nearly flat battery and had all the relay chattering etc. A day on the CTEK sorted the battery but the faults never went away. Even the AA man was perplexed.

The tempting thing is Portsmouth are going to look at it and lend me a Macan for a couple of days (I have a Macan S on order from them) so I wouldn't mind a free loan of the litre Macan as comparison for later. It's worth the drive down to Portsmouth and leaving the warning up for a couple more weeks as no harm will be done.

My works vehicle (Boeing 787) can reset it's own fault messages and since there are no OBD flags, I wonder why the car hasn't reset itself if no fault actually exists.

• 5 months later...

Bad news hope it's not too bad, I've noted Porsche are now fitting these cover caps to the engine mounts on the 992, something to do with prevention of water ingress.

https://www.lllparts.co.uk/_/product/porsche-992199534a-cover-cap/mpn/992199534a/

Makes you wonder if that's the issue with them.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, daz05 said:

Bad news hope it's not too bad, I've noted Porsche are now fitting these cover caps to the engine mounts on the 992, something to do with prevention of water ingress.

https://www.lllparts.co.uk/_/product/porsche-992199534a-cover-cap/mpn/992199534a/

Makes you wonder if that's the issue with them.

Your link didn't work for some reason, but I guess its this:-

https://www.lllparts.co.uk/product/porsche-cover-cap-992199534a/mpn/992199534a

I wonder if the caps fit earlier models?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tony Daniel said:

Problem is you would still have to remove the mounts to fit the caps, so only good after a failure.

If that's the problem and it's a big IF then there are other things we can do to protect ours as I've always thought they were quite exposed and the errors always seem to suggest a lack of communication from the module which could be linked to corrosion from getting wet.

Silicon lubricant spray around the connection might be a good start.

Edited by daz05
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

PADM warning just happened to me too today after a run up and down the Strines.

981S, 2013, 47,000 miles.  Let the warranty lapse 3 months ago so I could make savings on servicing. Looks like any savings are about to be wiped out. You win some, you loose some I guess....

Does anyone know if these are coded into the car or just a straight swap?

1 hour ago, CMA said:

PADM warning just happened to me too today after a run up and down the Strines.

981S, 2013, 47,000 miles.  Let the warranty lapse 3 months ago so I could make savings on servicing. Looks like any savings are about to be wiped out. You win some, you loose some I guess....

Does anyone know if these are coded into the car or just a straight swap?

Straight swap I think, bad luck. There has to be someone capable of repairing them. Seems to be an electrical issue rather the module doesn't get a signal and so the warning flags up.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We should refresh this thread, I've been doing some reading and my basic understanding of them suggests there is an electromagnetic coil inside, with a simple south pole, north pole circuit.  

https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/electromagnetism/electromagnets.html

If that's the case shouldn't repair be quite straight forward if you can find a way not to spill the fluid inside?

7 minutes ago, highway said:

2012-2014 981 and 991 seem prone to the failure of engine mounts and steering racks. Not so common on layer cars. I conclude I wouldn’t want either if they were out of warranty. Everything is £1k plus to fix. 

Or just be prepared for it to possibly happen. I’m looking at 2013-2014 981’s and having done my research am aware of the issue and accept it my crop up. 

Don’t assume it’s just going to be the 12-14 that has this issue.  Mine is a 15 and has had both mounts replaced. There aren’t as many 15 and 16 981s so it might just be that that accounts for the perceived lower number of failures?.

The steering issues seem much less common as far as I can see. There have been a couple of instances on here, and a few elsewhere but nothing like the level of mount failures, especially given that all cars have the rack and only Chrono cars have the mounts.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Greenman said:

Don’t assume it’s just going to be the 12-14 that has this issue.  Mine is a 15 and has had both mounts replaced. There aren’t as many 15 and 16 981s so it might just be that that accounts for the perceived lower number of failures?.

The steering issues seem much less common as far as I can see. There have been a couple of instances on here, and a few elsewhere but nothing like the level of mount failures, especially given that all cars have the rack and only Chrono cars have the mounts.

How much did you have to pay for the mount replacements?

Parts alone are almost £1k . And there's 3 to 4 hours of labour on top. Just collected my parts yesterday and will be swapping mine out at the weekend probably.

51684682300_61c303fdc6_c.jpg

And yes, that is 8 nuts at £2.17+vat each in there.....

• Sad 1