Managed to snap both roof top push rod ends....

chanlon1

Was a lovely day.

Came out of the coffee shop with my son.

Popped the release lever/handle in the roof and hit the button.

Managed to not pop the lever/handle enough and the roof didn't seem to want to move much. Stupidly I persevered and next there was a loud snap.

Turns out I've snapped both of the push rod ends.

I heard that Porsche only sell the full arm with the end, so ordered some new ends off eBay. Couldn't find metal ones, so have just gone plastic again.

Managed to get the old ends off ok. Access to the arms/ends is a bit fiddly but doable.

Anyone had this problem? 

Anything else I should look out for?

IMG_14711.thumb.jpg.b7d8d4de21d2877a42f1266fa7f47da3.jpg

IMG_14721.jpg

Did exactly the same  a few weeks ago. Plastic ends are better as they are designed to be sacrificial.Some useful threads is you search. Main tip is wrap some tape round the pushrods to mark the position of the caps before you remove the broken ones. That way it's easy to position the new ones accurately.

Good call about metal ones not snapping and possibly causing more issues....never thought of that.

Couple of YouTube vids I watched pointed out about putting tape on the arm to mark its location.

What would be the outcome if you didn't fit the new ends pin the same position? Would the top not fold down correctly?

2 minutes ago, chanlon1 said:

What would be the outcome if you didn't fit the new ends pin the same position? Would the top not fold down correctly?

You would presumably have tp keep adjusting them to get the roof to close properly. And i think you would have problems getting the caps to locate over the ball joints.

Sorry not the boot,underneath the clamshell where the drain holes are is a waterproof area that stops water ingress into the cabin.Check for any puncture holes from the rods dropping onto it.

40 minutes ago, chanlon1 said:

Where and what is the boot membrane? Is it visible in my pics?

@Mattman42 had this and replaced. I bought some spares as a "when" not "if" it happens to me.

Plastic is the way to go as they act like a mechanical fuse and save the rest of the roof.

1 hour ago, Mattman42 said:

Yep, my wife did this to mine, really simple fix with replacement plastic ends from eBay - @chanlon1 I posted my fix and pics here;

http://www.BoXa.net/forum/topic/78216-987-roof-broken-where-to-buy-parts/

Thanks for the link. 

Exactly the same as me. 

Two bits I learnt though, use wd40 and use the pry bar in the tool kit. 

Must remember when the replacement parts arrive. 

3 hours ago, Liberty said:

Sorry not the boot,underneath the clamshell where the drain holes are is a waterproof area that stops water ingress into the cabin.Check for any puncture holes from the rods dropping onto it.

A further check this evening and that waterproof membrane seems to be in one piece. No obvious piercings or holes in it. 

I did it 3 times on a 987. On 3 different cars 😇The latch can sit very close and catch on the 987. I became a dab hand at replacing them in the end 👜🧐💄🥃

On 10 May 2019 at 10:17 PM, fat haggis said:

I did it 3 times on a 987. On 3 different cars 😇The latch can sit very close and catch on the 987. I became a dab hand at replacing them in the end 👜🧐💄🥃

"Excuse me sir may I stroke your crocodile" Oh Sam surely a man of your profound intelligence would be caught out more than once!!!?

So I got the replacements in the post today, swapped them with the broken ones and everything seems to be back to normal. The old ones were a bugger to get off mind you.

Whilst doing it, I noticed on the drivers side that there appeared to be a couple of elastic straps that were connected to the "door pillar".when the roof is in the down position, they appear to be quite stretched. I couldn't see any similar ones on the passenger side.

Ive circled them in the photo attached. Picture is taken looking down in the roof mechanism, back of car at the top, front at the bottom. Outside of car is to the left.

roof mech1.jpg

just checked on mine and don't appear to have those (987.2) - but there is some elastic straps either side which appear to tension in the inner head lining - could that be yours too?

1 hour ago, Mattman42 said:

just checked on mine and don't appear to have those (987.2) - but there is some elastic straps either side which appear to tension in the inner head lining - could that be yours too?

Certainly it’s under tension, but I am sure there’s nothing on the other side. I must check inside when the roof is actually up to see if anything is visible. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2019 at 7:56 PM, chanlon1 said:

So I got the replacements in the post today, swapped them with the broken ones and everything seems to be back to normal. The old ones were a bugger to get off mind you.

Knowing I was replacing them, I ended up cutting the old ones off with a junior hacksaw when I was struggling to unscrew them. Much easier! Hopefully not something you'll need to worry about again, though!

Archived