Purchased my 986s on this date 144 months ago..!

map

Sure is a crackin’ old hound. It’s certainly seen the best that Selkirk-Moffat run can offer, and so much more. 

I’m just glad you knew when you bought it that it would ultimately compliment mine so well😏 

Scramble

A true wolf in Sheep’s clothing💪🏻😊☝️

23 hours ago, bally4563 said:

Need to sort the handbrake out Matt..only every time I've been following you something seemed to be holding it back 😂😂😂😂

And the Ann Summers gear stick. ;) 

24 minutes ago, rowbos said:

Knob. 

He calls it a gear knob 😏

Well played, Sir.

Have a 🏆

19 hours ago, Araf said:

And the Ann Summers gear stick. ;) 

19 hours ago, rowbos said:

Knob. 

He calls it a gear knob 😏

19 hours ago, K.I.T.T. said:

Well played, Sir.

Have a 🏆

Incidentally the knob is interchangeable either.....

Teutonic CNC’d precision shaped metal tip 

Or

The warmth and analogue beauty of a layered hand turned ball. 

Good to have options.....

On 5/17/2019 at 9:57 PM, Loz987 said:

Sure is a crackin’ old hound. It’s certainly seen the best that Selkirk-Moffat run can offer, and so much more. 

Ah the Selkirk Moffat Run - still one of my standout potters of all time. 

qUZU7Rrb.png

Epic. 

On 5/17/2019 at 9:57 PM, Loz987 said:

I’m just glad you knew when you bought it that it would ultimately compliment mine so well😏 

Scramble

I do what I can....

On 5/17/2019 at 8:11 PM, PaulQ said:

Did you ever do a running report @map

Sounds like you have done some interesting modifications. I agree that these cars really do get under your skin, and I'm still loving mine after nearly 5 years of ownership, and some subtle mods. 

There was one floating around, I didn’t update it diligently. The running report fell so far behind I dropped it altogether.

As with all these things there are many ways to tweak a 986 and my approach has been a shaped by the need to minimise downtime. 

That said the headlines would be:

In the early days I looked at the TPC Turbo Kit and was a Parr client when they built their 987/Cayman examples - I was seriously tempted as those cars were rocket ships.

For the record I rate Parr very highly and recommend them without reservation - I moved away from them simply because my work took me from Surrey to the Forest of Dean in Gloucestershire  

Around that time I started doing trackdays and realised that “quicker” looked like driver training first followed by suspension and brake upgrades. 

The dampers and springs have been revised several times and the current third iteration is fantastic - provided I don’t get all race chassis engineer and start unsupervised fiddling with the damper settings.....

The brakes are essentially standard apart from upgraded flexibles, fluid and pads. Have been through several pad types but landed with Carbon Lorraine RC5+ all round following some feedback from this forum. On a 986S the stopping power is phenomenal. That said there may be bigger disks/calipers going on at some point.

The engine was first updated with intake and exhaust changes. In terms of the intake that’s custom to the larger throttle body. The exhaust was a full CarGraphic system with 200cell cats - I didn’t want to mess about at MOT time. 

More recently the 3.2 (which was tired) has been replaced with a larger capacity motor based on a 986 3.2 engine that I had in my stash. 

Whilst the larger engine is now in the car it is proving to be a long haul project simply because I am pushing the development hard as I have a specific target in mind. At this time it’s been dyno’d in shakedown setup (mapped to ensure safe fuelling, with interim intake and exhaust system) and on the road it’s a strong thing with a truckload of torque. Won’t be sharing the data at this time because experience has shown me that this raises more questions than it answers.

So the changes/mods have happened as the car's maintenance needs arose. This works particularly well for me as it fits with the way I use it. 

If I were asked what I would recommend to someone wanting to get the best out of their Boxster it would be this. 

Use the thing lots in all weathers.

Driver training. 

Serious and rigorous approach to maintenance.

Roof down.

Driver training. 

Use the thing lots regardless of the weather.

Proper tyres - not necessarily N rated but proper tyres all the same. 

Driver training. 

Put miles on it and you all year round - with the roof down.

Ask for advice on this forum.

Get yourself on some of the forum runs.

Smile inwardly at the intellectual poverty of those who describe the Boxster as a “poor mans” Porsche.

Driver training.

By all means mod them, they’re great stock - but the stuff I’ve done is just one way - look to the others on this forum for their tweaks and tuneups to see just how broad a spectrum we modders occupy. 

I've really enjoyed reading this post. Well done MAP on keeping your car for 12 years. I've personally never had a car that long (motor bikes yes) but I do think I will keep my boxster a long time. I will say your right that servicing your car is very important. I do like this site and hope, once I'm fit enough, to join you all on one of the site runs. 

I'm learning more and more about the boxster from reading posts on this site, and loving my car even more every day, I've even got two of my mates to buy a boxster and they love it too. Great car. 

One more thing, I hate it when people call it the poor man's porsche, what a load of sxxt. It's as good as or even better than some 911's. IMO lol. 

Screenshot_2017-01-02-00-40-42-118x210.png

Archived