Headlight protection film - any thoughts?

boxtastic

I've bought the arch protectors and rear quarter film from this guy, been on the car 2 yrs now and they still look fresh and it's definitely protected that area.  If you are fearful of chips I don't see any downsides.

Yes I did it myself, with some soapy water, steady hands, heat gun on low and an old credit card if you go back a few years I may have posted some instructions.

Fitting film to these lights is very difficult due to the double curvature of the light and the amount of stretch you need to put on the film. Also they are coated with a UV resistance layer which the film doesn't bond too well. Also also, if you then remove the film you risk damaging that UV layer and you will then need to sand it all off and re lacquer them, re apply more PPF, or replace the lights.

6 minutes ago, boxtastic said:

Thanks @cambsnw8 a good case of the risks outweighing the benefits, of doing the headlights.

yes and no. .I will probably still do mine when I buy a 981S. but just letting people know the downsides.

Looking at that link, they are potentially made from nasty thick film so you'd have a check edge somewhere on the light. I will use proper Xpel PPF and fit it so the edge of the film is right up to the edge of the light.

Archived