Start/Stop

Chrisj1

New Porsche owner and wondered if anyone had noticed there start/stop working or not working. The A with the cross comes up when I’m stopped and held on the brake. I haven’t had a good run in it recently so It might be the battery level but any help would be appreciated.

26 minutes ago, Chrisj1 said:

New Porsche owner and wondered if anyone had noticed there start/stop working or not working. The A with the cross comes up when I’m stopped and held on the brake. I haven’t had a good run in it recently so It might be the battery level but any help would be appreciated.

Hi. Welcome to Ownership. I don't have a 981 although I found this link to the pre-conditions for stop/start to work in the event it helps. Share a link to a pic of your new ride when you can (use Imgur/Flickr etc)

http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/2014-boxster-manual/7/130/Preconditions-for-stopping-the-engine-automatically

The battery has to be really fully charged for it to activate so it’s probably that.  The Porsche fitted batteries don’t seem to be the most robust and the electronics seems to air on the safe side so as not to discharge the battery unduly.  I just deactivate it as soon as I get in anyway, any money lost in extra petrol used will be more than offset by extra battery longevity.

Now the monsoon has finished I can set about a full polish and I can post some pics. I did wonder if I had become far too use to the stop start on my everyday. I’ll leave it in standard and catch up with Dove House.

When I picked up my 981S in December of last year the stop/start rarely activated. After I had a skiing accident at the end of March this year, I couldn't drive the car for a few weeks so had to put the battery on a charger to prevent it dying.

Ever since then the stop/start kicks in most times I come to a standstill so I would say, get the battery on a charger and she if it comes back.

in almost 6 years I can say the only time the start/stop fails is if there are other errors eg when the brake pedal thingy was faulty, and now with a flooded passenger footwell...bet its a low battery causing yours

An OBD2 tool can be used to disable it completely too - @fat haggis has one and when we reset my airbag light we also (inadvertently) disabled start/stop which was quite nice as it's a weird feature to have in this type of car in my opinion (and I had the light always on as you mention).  Mine is now back to normal after some electrical gremlins meant a reset/update of various things so it's back on and now very consistent.

There are a number of conditions that have to be met in order for the stop/start to operate. I found, when I accidently forgot to switch it off, that the disabled icon would come on when stopping at the top of the slip road after a long run of about 20 miles. I could never work out which parameter was not being met. 

After @Richard Hamilton reprogrammed my auto stop/start to default to 'off' its never been switched on since.

On 6/14/2019 at 10:59 PM, Stuart21UK said:

in almost 6 years I can say the only time the start/stop fails is if there are other errors eg when the brake pedal thingy was faulty, and now with a flooded passenger footwell...bet its a low battery causing yours

What's caused the flood Stu?

• 2 weeks later...

Took it for a long run this weekend due to the A14 being closed to knock down a bridge and was surprised to see how quickly the battery got enough charge to recommence stop/start. I think I'll save the charger money by driving more and often.

As I always put my 981s into sport mode,the start-stop never kicks in as i hate it,i even turn it off my seat car for work

Archived