Why Why Why ?

Renewal time and AF have gone for the jugular with a renewal quote which is only 100% higher than the best Compare the Market quote despite earning another year's NCB. My wife's car quote this year was triple the best quote if she stayed with the same insurer. They always blame inflation and claims experience but it seems to be be very specific to them ! Looking forward to seeing what AIB can do.

Aviva are the only insurance company I've used so far that don't seem to do this.

This year's premium was only 3 quid or so more then last year, and the house insurance was less.! 

Have you pushed back to see if they offer a better premium? Usually works for me.  If you have and there's been no movement then time to move your business. Plenty out there who will want it.

IMO insurance companies will charge as much as they think they can get away with!

Totally agree. Why don't they reward loyal customers who renew automatically? My Admiral multi car policy went up by £600 in BOTH years following a claim where our second car was hit while stationery - we didn't even claim; We are now with Saga and LV for less than half the price quoted for exactly the same cover.

As PaulQ says, Aviva seem to be the ones to try. My insurance for both car and house decreased this year. And they are making a big point in their advertising of not penalising existing customers. Government is supposed to be bringing in legislation on this too.

Doesn't pay to stay loyal in my experience.

It also appears that the comparison sites are the best way to go. Just re-insured my bike after the written quote came through at nearly £200, £80 quid more than last year with a years extra NCB. went on Confused.Com and got a quote at last years cost with addition of pillion cover from the same broker! Phoned them explained and they matched it which means they don't pay the search site fee and the call taker earns a tenner.

My cars are with Sheilas Wheels (eSure) on a multi car and they consistently come up with great prices for the fleet allowing NCB discount on all three cars.

AIB came back with a quote, but it’s £50 more than admiral and half of the ‘renewal’. I’m sure I’ll be doing this again until the powers that be clamp down.

My Merc insurance renewal came through last week. £343 for another year with Elephant.

Went on Compare the Cat! and got a best quote of £267.

Phone call to Elephant (which I have done for the past 12 years) and they reduced to £277. Just one phone call to my existing insurer normally does the job.

The Boxster is with Locktons and the renewal this year was exactly the same as last year. So happy with that as well. Circa £330 with European breakdown.

Rang Adrian Flux today to give them a second chance. They managed to get it down 25% but still too much. Did the Meerkat and had Admiral as the first offer.

Here's where it gets interesting. If you add one of the fleet to the quote you get a discount. Ended up insuring the house and three cars including a new driver and business use on the imperial cruiser. Boxster is going to be 250 the cruiser 260 and the new drivers 450 ! I expect it to all unravel at renewal but I have been quote v happy !

1 hour ago, Chrisj1 said:

Rang Adrian Flux today to give them a second chance. They managed to get it down 25% but still too much. Did the Meerkat and had Admiral as the first offer.

Here's where it gets interesting. If you add one of the fleet to the quote you get a discount. Ended up insuring the house and three cars including a new driver and business use on the imperial cruiser. Boxster is going to be 250 the cruiser 260 and the new drivers 450 ! I expect it to all unravel at renewal but I have been quote v happy !

With Admiral, yes it will probably unravel at renewal, my policy with them for 3 cars nearly doubled at renewal! I rang them to try to get a better deal and got precisely nowhere.

At least you've got a good deal this time.

On 6/26/2019 at 12:38 PM, PaulQ said:

Aviva are the only insurance company I've used so far that don't seem to do this.

This year's premium was only 3 quid or so more then last year, and the house insurance was less.! 

Aviva will be behind multiple other companies (lot's of re branding on the market) so it's not as simple as saying 'Aviva dont put prices up' it's just the route you've gone to through them...presumably directly?

My Porsche Insurance is Aviva via Marsh and similarly its not risen too much over the last 10 years, however the wife's previous 'Quote Me Happy' (which was also a direct Aviva policy) went up year 1 to year 2 steeply IIRC

As an interested flake of information for people using comparrison sites..it's not uncommon for these to be actually owned by an insurance company themselves 

eg

Admiral Group own Confused.com

Admiral Group operates under a number of brands in the United Kingdom:

15 minutes ago, Stuart21UK said:

Aviva will be behind multiple other companies (lot's of re branding on the market) so it's not as simple as saying 'Aviva dont put prices up' it's just the route you've gone to through them...presumably directly?

Yes went direct.

I didn't say Aviva don't put prices up, just that they don't seem to do this (to me) (yet) :)

I expect the next renewal will be a different story! 

They went up a bit on renewal for me, 718 and DD. However neither other multi-car companies, or trying to insure the 2 cars separately, could get near them again.

Think I'm circa £500 for the two, 718 F/C, mini TPFT.

I used to be with Aviva (Boxster and BMW dd), but for the past two years I've been better with NFU (price and cover), renewal is next month so waiting to see what they offer!

Archived