How low can you go...

golfprorich

4 hours ago, CAZ said:

Gangsta doesn’t sit well with my Reiki 😊

I shudder to think what reeks and so has that name.... :unsure: 

Quote like that, looks like a lot of effort has gone into it, would like to see it at driving height to see what it looks like. I assume the rear wheels come back to be more aligned with the centre of the arches.

41 minutes ago, Jason986S said:

@John K I reckon you would be pleasantly surprised by the ride and handling if it’s done well.

I would happily take it for a trundle and be proven wrong.

But part of me still wonders why cosmetic aftermarket moders think they can improve on a company that has spent billions of £ and 50 years learning their stuff.

And when an aftermarket moder like Manthey gets their mits on something it costs 50k and that's 50k of relevant improvements.

Because it is possible to spend 50k in the local Halfords... :laugh:

I quite like it, it's tidy and looks well executed.

Running on bags is like calling a Boxster a "cheap mans Porsche" - stated as fact by those that have never tried or actually experienced.

As for Manthey- - they make your car less comfortable to live with on the road, as they merely add race car parts that are designed for race track smooth asphalt.  That's why they handle so much better - and accompanied with a track geo setting that eats rubber.

On 7/9/2019 at 9:36 AM, Patt said:

Running on bags is like calling a Boxster a "cheap mans Porsche" - stated as fact by those that have never tried or actually experienced.

Yup, which is why i don't bother getting into the debate about it. Check out Mad Mikes Nimbul for a car on air that can handle as well.

Genuinely asking the question as I've previously stated I have no experience of 'bags' (and the look is not my thing) unless you count my dad's old Citroen GS Estate...

If Bags can handle as well as 'traditional' suspension why don't sports car manufacturers use them? There must be a trade off somewhere, perhaps it is weight, not handling.

I know big luxo barges and SUVs use them but not so much sports cars

14 minutes ago, John K said:

If Bags can handle as well as 'traditional' suspension why don't sports car manufacturers use them? There must be a trade off somewhere, perhaps it is weight, not handling.

Straight off the top of my head, I'd say cost and complexity.

Why spends hundreds/thousands on a reletively complex system when a couple of curly bits of cheap metal do the job just as well?

It's only when you want/need the additional adjustability benefits that bags bring over springs that they become the default option.

20 minutes ago, John K said:

Genuinely asking the question as I've previously stated I have no experience of 'bags' (and the look is not my thing) unless you count my dad's old Citroen GS Estate...

I know big luxo barges and SUVs use them but not so much sports cars

Cost and convenience most likely. Dampers and springs for an average car are what, £800 - £1500? Air bag system for the same would be £2.5k up depending on the system and the car. Then instead of being a bolt-on part you have air tanks and control systems to plumb/wire in, then a user that has to know how to use it and maintain it with the water traps etc. Let's face it most people just want to turn a key and go. 

As for weight, yes you have more in the components but the bags weigh a damn sight less than springs so you'll end up very similar. 

The problem with "bags" is the image people have of saggy things which roll everywhere or even worse they think of hydraulics and they'll make your car bounce.

Cheers @Huw_L and @That986 for the explanation.

Consider my knowledge expanded and opinion as to handling reset (it is possible) :thumbsup_still:

But in terms of looks, I still really dislike the 'slammed' stance. But we are allowed to have different opinions on aesthetics, that's what makes life interesting

8 minutes ago, John K said:

Cheers @Huw_L and @That986 for the explanation.

Consider my knowledge expanded and opinion as to handling reset (it is possible) :thumbsup_still:

But in terms of looks, I still really dislike the 'slammed' stance. But we are allowed to have different opinions on aesthetics, that's what makes life interesting

Absolutely. Having owned a "bagged" car before now you hear all the myths about them and tbh you get bored explaining about it. That said the system i had on my car was on there for 7 years, saw daily driving for 50000 miles and never missed a beat in all seasons. I towed a caravan as well which was brilliant as you could adjust the height of the car on the fly so to speak so no more sitting on the floor at the back. 

FYI, the "bags" on my car could lift a ton each so a 1200 kg car and caravan were no issue. Also made any maintenance under the car a breeze as i could lift the front by 6 inches and the back until the dampers locked out. 

38 minutes ago, That986 said:

FYI, the "bags" on my car could lift a ton each so a 1200 kg car and caravan were no issue

My dad used to carry lots of TVs (he owned a TV shop, he wasn't a tealeaf) and had one of those big Citroen Estates with the hydraulic suspension (mental dials and stupid place for the radio) and it used to 'slam' itself when the engine was off and the pressure bled out the system.

I have no idea what the lifting capacity was but one time we were getting slabs from the garden center and we pretty much filled it. A bloke came out to say it wasn't safe to drive a car that heavily loaded (I think he was looking at the height, not weight).

My dad smiled, got in, started the engine and the car just popped back up.

I think the blokes eyes nearly popped out..!

I wonder if it was the childhood trauma of being seen in a Citroen that has led to my life long hatred of slammed cars :laugh:

3 minutes ago, John K said:

My dad used to carry lots of TVs (he owned a TV shop, he wasn't a tealeaf) and had one of those big Citroen Estates with the hydraulic suspension (mental dials and stupid place for the radio) and it used to 'slam' itself when the engine was off and the pressure bled out the system.

I have no idea what the lifting capacity was but one time we were getting slabs from the garden center and we pretty much filled it. A bloke came out to say it wasn't safe to drive a car that heavily loaded (I think he was looking at the height, not weight).

My dad smiled, got in, started the engine and the car just popped back up.

I think the blokes eyes nearly popped out..!

I wonder if it was the childhood trauma of being seen in a Citroen that has led to my life long hatred of slammed cars :laugh:

Haha, probably. But it is also good practice to park the car up "slammed" so the pressure is out of the system and more specifically the valves, especially if you're parking up for a significant length of time. 

The old shyateron always 'sat down' ar*e first, then the front would bled out then sink and when it pressurized the back would lift up first, then the front.

Really noticeable and quite funny

5 minutes ago, GmanB said:

xmupdown.gif

Brill..!

A Xanthia IIRC, didn't realise they still had that suspension.

At least that one is going up and down level, dads didn't

Off topic a bit but there are production cars that run air suspension. Think Range Rover, Mercedes and I'm sure there are many others. A bit like the magnetic Audi dampers or PASM, the air systems are the next spec level up. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2019 at 4:17 PM, edc said:

Off topic a bit but there are production cars that run air suspension. Think Range Rover, Mercedes and I'm sure there are many others. A bit like the magnetic Audi dampers or PASM, the air systems are the next spec level up. 

There's quite a few about but most are big cruisers like the S class. 

Our 2006 Range Rover Sport runs air all round and was originally specced with active anti-roll bars.  

For a 2.5t 190bhp car it handles really well, once it's woken up to you making progress on tarmac and the active anti-roll comes into play the road-holding is something else - several sporting saloons have been given cause to raise their game in response to the car's handling and torque delivery on a twisty A road or more recently an Alpine pass or two.

That said it isn't fast like a Cayenne for example but ours looks ace when it's filthy....👍

Archived