Insurance up by 50% as a result of moving OUT of London

Yes, you read it correctly.

Currently in zone 3 in SE London but thinking of moving to Beds / Bucks area as a result of marriage breakdown.

Decided to do a few quotes and was bogsmacked to see that they are 50% more than I am currently paying.

What is the world coming to ..........

Just a thought - might it be driven by a change of circumstances?

I know my insurance premium reduced when I moved into my own home from renting and again when I added the now mrs_map as a named driver. That said the total saving wasn’t anything like a 50% reduction.

The other thing I found with car insurance premiums is that a proper conversation with a decent broker is almost always preferable to an on-line form.

This may be because my cars are heavily tweaked but it also worked for a friend of ours who hadn’t built up a UK driving record as a consequence of living overseas for 15 years. She got horrible premiums on line and went to APlan Thatcham on my recommendation and it was all fine. 

Have you tried us in A-Plan Thatcham Branch (Club discount branch) ... you may find you lost your 'insured and spouse discount' that a lot of insurers offer, but equally there is also and insured only discount with selected insurers.

Plus, other changes may impact: driving more miles as a change of location/longer commute for example.

If you'd like to chat to one of our experts for a quote though we are happy to take a look for you :) the number is 01635 874646, Mon-Fri 8.30am-5pm and Sat 8.30am-12noon, just mention the club for discounts to be applied and have a conversation rather than online tick boxes which can not only miss vital info but also presume cover that's not necessarily needed.

Carlie
(not in the office as I'm on Maternity Leave, still working online because I like to look after the members :))

On 7/20/2019 at 10:20 AM, guest1 said:

Yes, you read it correctly.

Currently in zone 3 in SE London but thinking of moving to Beds / Bucks area as a result of marriage breakdown.

Decided to do a few quotes and was bogsmacked to see that they are 50% more than I am currently paying.

What is the world coming to ..........

We spoke about South Bucks via PM , I found my insurance went down after moving out of West London

My insurance went up when I got divorced on car and home & contents as well.

5 hours ago, A-Plan Insurance said:

you may find you lost your 'insured and spouse discount'

Sounds like it doesn’t it. 

Thanks Carlie, good luck with the maternity!

It is a bit of a  mystery, it seems that it is not because of the separation as the current quote I have is based on me being single and all I have been doing is changing the postcode.  I have tried different locations, the comparison websites all seem to like SE London postcodes better than outside London for good rates on 911s :)

One company that did come in reasonably good outside London was LV, so there is a little light at the end of the tunnel.  In all likelihood, I will need a second car if I do move out so perhaps that plus a good multi car policy / broker will get me a good deal.

Thanks for all the advice folks.

I just tried to add the wife to my Adrian flux policy and was told, no they won’t add her. 

Shes 51, full licence, 20 yrs. no claims, no points. 

Was hoping she’d make it cheaper, she won’t get behind the wheel! 

9 hours ago, guest1 said:

It is a bit of a  mystery, it seems that it is not because of the separation as the current quote I have is based on me being single and all I have been doing is changing the postcode.  I have tried different locations, the comparison websites all seem to like SE London postcodes better than outside London for good rates on 911s :)

One company that did come in reasonably good outside London was LV, so there is a little light at the end of the tunnel.  In all likelihood, I will need a second car if I do move out so perhaps that plus a good multi car policy / broker will get me a good deal.

Thanks for all the advice folks.

If you get a second car A plan mirror your no claims discount - cost me £300 to insure the Box and £325 to insure the 2017 plate Fiesta

Archived