What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

19 hours ago, Greyanglia said:

When the passenger side umbrella got mentioned in a thread the other day I found myself straight on to Google trying to find one even though I rarely take the Boxter out in the rain!

It doesn't keep the whole car dry it's just for a person. And it doesn't replace putting the roof up. Just so you know.

9 hours ago, BBB said:

Installed my DesignTek valved exhaust with the help of a friend who works in a garage, so we could use the lift. It went really smoothly, no hiccups, using a set of instructions for the Soul exhaust, which looks identical.

We only got the pipes on and I’ll do the vacuum lines and wiring on another day. By default the valves are open and it is very LOUD. Quiet(ish) when pootling, but as soon as you accelerate it turns hooligan and crackles on the overrun. I’ll have to get on with the rest of the install asap to have the option to dial down the volume.

The old system had a hole in the upper right corner of the right-hand box, the size of a 50p piece.

Hmmm I thought that they had changed them so they started up quietly. I have one from Cybox which I am pretty sure is the same as yours. It came in a box from Top Gear. I worked out a way to get it to start in quiet mode and how to run the vac pipes fairy neatly so let me know if you need any more info. Although it is all in some of my older posts I guess....

5 hours ago, BBB said:

Soul/Designtek/Top gear etc valved exhaust install link if others need it.

http://soulpp.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/987.2-Soul-Valved-Exhaust-Install-Guide-Web.pdf

That’s not quite the same system. Almost identical but not. The Soul system has some pressed out parts. Control gear looks the same though. I don’t think the stainless they use for the Top Gear one would press so easily as I’d bet it much thicker. 

Replaced my wind deflector clips, noticed deflector had partially unclipped a couple of times on either side recently and deflector was rattly. Gotta love Porsche Plastic

Edited by iborguk

Replaced rear track control arms , near side bush was shagged, barely noticeable in situ, but was getting a clunk now again, first time I’ve replaced these and seen so much wear,  and I have done quite a few.

New Sebro front discs and Ferodo DS2500 pads. Of course did the obligatory wear sensor delete mod.

Bedded them in and nice firm pedal, aided by the GT3 master cylinder upgrade.

Rear pads (Texstar) swap next on the list.

Then it might be 'R' struts and springs plus rear ARB.

Also considering swapping out the manifold to cat flange gaskets. I already have them 'in stock' as well as stainless bolts and copper nuts. Debating it as a DIY or my trusted indie task.

Considering it is a low mileage (22k now after 6 months ownership, bought at 20k miles) I have spent quite a bit on getting the car properly on point, especially as it has a full OPC service history.

You can't beat doing it yourself, at least you know corners haven't been cut in the name of mechanics bonuses. For example the air and pollen filters. Pollen filter date stamp was 6 years old FFS!

Edited by andygo

15 hours ago, iborguk said:

Drove it to check my deflector handy work.

I still have a deflector and it no longer rattles. 

Happy days 😀

Don't suppose you have the part numbers for those do you ? 😁

Arranged a trade in on my 987.2 against another marque, so it’s goodbye to the forum which I’ve really enjoyed, it helped me through the early days of Porsche ownership 5 years ago.

Best wishes to everyone.

John

• Like 5

Oil change today. My 987.2 was 'serviced' before I bought it in October kast year. I have done 2,500 miles since.

Pollen filter = minging, date stamped 2015, now swapped.

Air filter, filthy, changed.

Oil filter, caked in dust and oily film. There's no way that was changed 2,500 miles ago, the oily film was unmarked.

Oli drain plug, weeping slightly, no way that was a fresh crush washer. Just wonder what crappy oil was in the sump, guessing some cheap nasty stuff. It's got Millers fully synthetic now, cost me £95 for 8 litres.

When I bled the brakes after swapping to a GT3 M/C, inner caliper bleed nipples had clearly never been touched, outer ones had.

So much for full OPC history...

• Sad 3

2 minutes ago, andygo said:

Oil change today. My 987.2 was 'serviced' before I bought it in October kast year. I have done 2,500 miles since.

Oil filter, caked in dust and oily film. There's no way that was changed 2,500 miles ago, the oily film was unmarked.

Oli drain plug, weeping slightly, no way that was a fresh crush washer. Just wonder what crappy oil was in the sump, guessing some cheap nasty stuff. It's got Millers fully synthetic now, cost me £95 for 8 litres.

When I bled the brakes after swapping to a GT3 M/C, inner caliper bleed nipples had clearly never been touched, outer ones had.

That's a bit strange to say the least. Anytime my car has been serviced by the dealer, I've always asked for the old parts back - the oil filter I've always opened up to check for any debris. 

2 minutes ago, andygo said:

You do wonder why ,just for a stamp in a book. I prefer to do it all myself and back it up with receipts,might upset the purists when coming up for sale, but at least I know it’s been done,and to be fair it’s not rocket science, unless you are doing more complicated work and everything you touch is seized!!

7 hours ago, johnk1946 said:

Arranged a trade in on my 987.2 against another marque, so it’s goodbye to the forum which I’ve really enjoyed, it helped me through the early days of Porsche ownership 5 years ago.

Best wishes to everyone.

John

And can we ask what you've gone for?