What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

29 minutes ago, Finbox said:

Actually found more issues, the roof elastic replacement coming soon.

Hey, I'd like to paint the side air vents black. Can I just take them off, spray paint black and spray lack on the top? 

Roof elastic is actually straight forward. Sewing is quite easy, even if you use really ugly stitching.

And yes, remove the outer vent, clean thoroughly then rattle can black and lacquer.

• Like 1

New clutch, flywheel, RMS and at last gearbox is now back in the car.

All rear suspension replaced and torqued up, apart from ones that need doing under load. Also new ARB bushes.

Started to fit H&R 30mm lowering springs to front, new bump stops and covers. Only managed one side as the other has a rusted nut on the top of the strut that is being soaked in penetrating oil for a few days to hopefully loosen up.

Whilst working under the wheel arch noticed the front coolant pipes are starting to leak 😟, so it looks like i will be doing those as well before its back on the road!

I know lots have already done this and wondered if anybody has a list of parts numbers and where to purchase from before i start googling ?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Deano37 said:

I know lots have already done this and wondered if anybody has a list of parts numbers and where to purchase from before i start googling ?

Download the PET here for part no's https://jasmine-porschalink.co.uk/porsche-pet-diagrams/

Then buy from local OPC and don't forget 10% discount if you're a PCGB member. They'll probably also deliver for free if necessary.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Deano37 said:

New clutch, flywheel, RMS and at last gearbox is now back in the car.

All rear suspension replaced and torqued up, apart from ones that need doing under load. Also new ARB bushes.

Started to fit H&R 30mm lowering springs to front, new bump stops and covers. Only managed one side as the other has a rusted nut on the top of the strut that is being soaked in penetrating oil for a few days to hopefully loosen up.

Whilst working under the wheel arch noticed the front coolant pipes are starting to leak 😟, so it looks like i will be doing those as well before its back on the road!

Thanks!

If they have corroded into the cross over pipes ,(the hose ferrules)  you will need to factor them in, whilst you are at it.

1 minute ago, bally4563 said:

If they have corroded into the cross over pipes ,(the hose ferrules)  you will need to factor them in, whilst you are at it.

Thanks. I'm going to take a closer look at the weekend to assess the amount of corrosion etc.

The leak is only small, not any on the floor of the garage just a pink droplet on the bottom of the hose.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed its not going to need all of them doing, the wallet is taking a bashing at the minute with all the other work I'm doing 🙄

2 minutes ago, Deano37 said:

Thanks. I'm going to take a closer look at the weekend to assess the amount of corrosion etc.

The leak is only small, not any on the floor of the garage just a pink droplet on the bottom of the hose.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed its not going to need all of them doing, the wallet is taking a bashing at the minute with all the other work I'm doing 🙄

I would be tempted to leave well alone, until you can do the job properly, just monitor it, I’ve seen quite a few joints with a bit of a tell tale, I can guarantee, disturbing it , you will wish you hadn’t, it’s not like it’s just happened, it’s just the fact you’ve spotted it

• Like 1

On 5/1/2021 at 10:01 PM, Finbox said:

Hey, I'd like to paint the side air vents black. Can I just take them off, spray paint black and spray lack on the top? 

I'm planning on doing this too, however I think I'll try using Plasti Dip, easy to remove if I decide I don't like it.

On the hunt for the boot 'Boxster S' badge in black too, but what I've found so far are ridiculously expensive..

11 minutes ago, stevethegreek said:

On the hunt for the boot 'Boxster S' badge in black too, but what I've found so far are ridiculously expensive..

How much did OPC quote?

12 minutes ago, stevethegreek said:

I'm planning on doing this too, however I think I'll try using Plasti Dip, easy to remove if I decide I don't like it.

Did mine in Plasti-Kote over a year ago and still look as good as the day i did them. Couldn't you do the same for the Boxster S badge?

xEp5m5B.jpg

16 minutes ago, stevethegreek said:

I think I will have a professional paint the side vents, it's not terribly expensive and I trust the result will be good.

I got the "Porsche" text badge in matte black from ebay, it was around 50 quid. I will replace the silver Boxster badge with that and I have a friend who runs a sticker company and he will help me to install it correctly (ie straight).

15 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

How much did OPC quote?

I haven't got a quote from OPC, I checked on D911 and a few others, think it was around £90 all in..

10 minutes ago, Deano37 said:

Did mine in Plasti-Kote over a year ago and still look as good as the day i did them. Couldn't you do the same for the Boxster S badge?

xEp5m5B.jpg

Thanks for posting pic. Same colour as mine, looks good so decision made 👍

• Thanks 1

I removed my year old 200cel sports manifolds from my 987.2 this weekend and put the original set back on, with the newly fitted Carnewal rear box it was just a tad to loud for my liking and the early morning neighbourhood, my conscious got the better of me.... manifolds now for sale in the for sale section. :) 

On 5/3/2021 at 5:59 PM, red rocket said:

Download the PET here for part no's https://jasmine-porschalink.co.uk/porsche-pet-diagrams/

Then buy from local OPC and don't forget 10% discount if you're a PCGB member. They'll probably also deliver for free if necessary.

@Deano37 most OPCs will give the 10% discount even if you are not a club member and sometimes more if you are a bit cheeky.

• Thanks 1

Reading parts department have stopped being so generous.

I have been contemplating joining the official club as it also opens some shelter at events I already attend.

Wheels today! 

Took them all off and cleaned them. Then I fitted my Porsche dust caps, with lube. Aligned my centre caps to the dust caps.

I refitted the wheels with spacers, 7mm at the front and 15mm at the back. This included shiny new studs too, with the locking nut lined up with the crests, obvs! 😂

Very happy with it all, looks better and feels nicer to drive, though I should add that I also corrected the tyre pressures. 

bALLKid.jpgCarnewal exhaust and new twin tips added! Sound is now super nice, a bit more growl when idling, fairly quiet 2-3k rpm (no drone), but then above 3k already much more sound than before. Super happy with this!

Edited by Finbox
  • Like 5

Changed my coolant cap as there was a mist of coolant around the filler cap. Mine was the part number ending in 01 and the latest ends in 04.

This from type911shop:

"99610644704 OEM coolant expansion cap, the most up to date unit which ends in "04". We recommend automatic replacement on all models equipped with the coolant caps ending in "00" or "01." Units ending in 00 will typically leak excessively to the point of visual coolant pooling. Units ending in 01 often let off pressure resulting in slow coolant loss, but not to the extent of visual coolant pooling. Other units ending in 02 or 03 should periodically be inspected and tested but are not as commonly 'bad' as the earlier versions." 

Collected it & paid my first serious Porsche bill. Four front coolant hoses & crossover pipes done + one additional pipe adapter to the NSF radiator. 

Big up to Lorimer & Findlay, Glasgow, who came in with a very reasonable price.

Next job will need to the the exhaust as one side is holed. Choices to be pondered & decisions to be made.

37 minutes ago, cptspaulding said:

Collected it & paid my first serious Porsche bill. Four front coolant hoses & crossover pipes done + one additional pipe adapter to the NSF radiator. 

Big up to Lorimer & Findlay, Glasgow, who came in with a very reasonable price.

Next job will need to the the exhaust as one side is holed. Choices to be pondered & decisions to be made.

On that note. Anyone in Soctland within a decent drive of Glasgow with an aftermarket exhaust who might be able to let me hear/experience what's available? No rush.

4 hours ago, cptspaulding said:

On that note. Anyone in Soctland within a decent drive of Glasgow with an aftermarket exhaust who might be able to let me hear/experience what's available? No rush.

Im in east kilbride with a designtek valvetronic

Another MOT no advisories. Annoying on its MOT history one failure for low beam bulb failure other than that full pass house. How many of you have a full pass house no advisories.

cheers Muddy 

Waiting for a bill from my local indy, 2 years of SORN have given a few jobs to do.  In addition to the corroded front coolant pipe am on the hook for cross-overs, some roof realignment, a rear drip tray replacement, brake flexi hose replacement, drain clearing etc....the wallet is worried