What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

1 minute ago, cptspaulding said:

Is it worth replacing these as a bit of preventative maintenance?

If it's plastic age over an actual roof alignment issue causing them to sheer then it's a once in xx years kind of thing.

Personally I'd address when it becomes an issue, the parts are readily available.

In my case only one side had gone and it took me a week to notice.

Removed all the plastic trim pieces that cover the drainage channels around the edges of the front boot and cleaned out the accumulation of leaf mould, small twigs, etc. A simple but satisfying exercise!

3 hours ago, cptspaulding said:

Is it worth replacing these as a bit of preventative maintenance?

I am tempted to order some replacement plastic joints as spares / just in case and lube the existing ones (along with the general roof mech ) as preventative and then as @iborguksays “deal with it when it happens” 

1 hour ago, Paul P said:

I am tempted to order some replacement plastic joints as spares / just in case and lube the existing ones (along with the general roof mech ) as preventative and then as @iborguksays “deal with it when it happens” 

I keep a set in glove box  just in case  as it can easily be done in car park 

• Like 1

Allright, worked on the roof and the pushrods this evening - result, and also found the issue why they broke! First I had to secure the roof in the service position, I used some straps I had lying around, but what is the proper procedure? 

LmdK11D.jpg

Both of the pushrods were straight, but the heads snapped off. It was not difficult to remove the rods and I replaced them with new ones from OPC. I found that putting the rod on with the bolt only slightly tight, then supporting the roof a bit and connecting the ball joint worked well. I could push the ball joint enough so it would stay in position and I could use a lever to push it properly on.

While working on the right side and leaning a bit on the car I noticed that the clam shell was not so solidly connected as on the left side. I started investigating and found that the clamshell arm slide was loose. The guide that runs in the slide was missing, only be bolt was in the guide. I could not find the guide anywhere on the car, so I must have been missing a while. This was why the joints snapped - there was no guide and the clamshell arms moved too far back. On the right side also the pushrod ball joint was almost too easy to put on, slightly loose - that is probably also caused by the missing guide as the whole right side is was a bit shaky. I need to get a new guide (https://www.design911.co.uk/pages/productList.aspx?search=98656157701) and probably the ball for the joint too. I guess the guide should be pretty straightforward to install, I just need to get it in the slide and then bolt the arm on.

Guide missing:V8ExzpS.jpg

Anyway, it's nice to know what went wrong, increases my confidence in operating the roof in future!-)

Edited by Finbox
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Finbox said:

Allright, worked on the roof and the pushrods this evening - result, and also found the issue why they broke! First I had to secure the roof in the service position, I used some straps I had lying around, but what is the proper procedure? 

LmdK11D.jpg

Both of the pushrods were straight, but the heads snapped off. It was not difficult to remove the rods and I replaced them with new ones from OPC. I found that putting the rod on with the bolt only slightly tight, then supporting the roof a bit and connecting the ball joint worked well. I could push the ball joint enough so it would stay in position and I could use a lever to push it properly on.

While working on the right side and leaning a bit on the car I noticed that the clam shell was not so solidly connected as on the left side. I started investigating and found that the clamshell arm slide was loose. The guide that runs in the slide was missing, only be bolt was in the guide. I could not find the guide anywhere on the car, so I must have been missing a while. This was why the joints snapped - there was no guide and the clamshell arms moved too far back. On the right side also the pushrod ball joint was almost too easy to put on, slightly loose - that is probably also caused by the missing guide as the whole right side is was a bit shaky. I need to get a new guide (https://www.design911.co.uk/pages/productList.aspx?search=98656157701) and probably the ball for the joint too. I guess the guide should be pretty straightforward to install, I just need to get it in the slide and then bolt the arm on.

Guide missing:V8ExzpS.jpg

Anyway, it's nice to know what went wrong, increases my confidence in operating the roof in future!-)

Good work.  Hope the guide is easy to sort 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Finbox said:

First I had to secure the roof in the service position, I used some straps I had lying around, but what is the proper procedure?

The strap you found under the rear screen, comes around the left hand side and the elastic loop goes over the left hand plastic prong that sticks out of the leading edge of the roof (there is one each side and they go into recesses in the top of the windscreen). The procedure is in the owners manual, with pictures, if you have it.

8 hours ago, BBB said:

The strap you found under the rear screen, comes around the left hand side and the elastic loop goes over the left hand plastic prong that sticks out of the leading edge of the roof (there is one each side and they go into recesses in the top of the windscreen). The procedure is in the owners manual, with pictures, if you have it.

Thanks, I thought so and I think I've seen the picture in the owners manual - from that I knew I needed straps to secure it. The original strap under the windscreen had also lost it's elastic properties, but I still need to check for myself where the prongs are on the roof if I need to do this on the road at some point.

• Like 1

replaced a blown brake light bulb!

noticed the amber on the indicator bulbs was peeling off so replaced them with chrome amber bulbs.

strangely satisfying removing the hint of orange from the silver reflector so now I'm eyeing up the fronts....

Started the prep work for my front suspension refresh. Got the car up on jack stands and ramps and gave relevant parts a good dose of Plusgas.Y7BKgjm.jpg

Very happy with my recently purchased Sealey rocket jack, which makes things so much easier than the basic Halfords one I normally use. (thanks to @Gutleyfor the recommendation).Q4AeHXq.jpg

Thinking this stands and ramp set up will work well when I get to the transmission oil change, which is next on list.

Edited by red rocket

1 hour ago, red rocket said:

Started the prep work for my front suspension refresh. Got the car up on jack stands and ramps and gave relevant parts a good dose of Plusgas.

Very happy with my recently purchased Sealey rocket jack, which makes things so much easier than the basic Halfords one I normally use. (thanks to @Gutleyfor the recommendation).

Thinking this stands and ramp set up will work well when I get to the transmission oil change, which is next on list.

Where did you purchase the jack from Peter?  I'm still pondering a new jack...

@red rocket, those ramps look interesting. Do they have a flat portion at the top, I can't make it out from the photo? I presume they are more stable than using another set of jack stands at the rear, or is there another reason for using them? Do you reverse up onto them, or jack up and lower the car onto them? So many questions!

49 minutes ago, BBB said:

@red rocket, those ramps look interesting. Do they have a flat portion at the top, I can't make it out from the photo? I presume they are more stable than using another set of jack stands at the rear, or is there another reason for using them? Do you reverse up onto them, or jack up and lower the car onto them? So many questions!

I've a set similar, really stable with a flat (curved to fit wheel), you can drive up mine and then remove the 'ramp' part which is actually quite handy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rowbos said:

Where did you purchase the jack from Peter?  I'm still pondering a new jack...

Got it from eBay which came out cheapest after extensive search and newer 2.25t model https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323478489388

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BBB said:

Yes, they are two piece with a  flat section and only a gentle slope so easy to drive the Boxster up. Have used at the front and they catch the lip on the front valance very slightly but no problem. In this case I jacked the car up using the rear jack point then set the jack stand under the front jack point and the ramp under rear wheel. Mine are Durhand brand, purchased from eBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264356723653

There are similar (identical) ones by Katsu. Just need to make sure you get the right height (21cm) - there are others which are much lower.

Edited by red rocket
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, red rocket said:

Started the prep work for my front suspension refresh. Got the car up on jack stands and ramps and gave relevant parts a good dose of Plusgas.Y7BKgjm.jpg

Very happy with my recently purchased Sealey rocket jack, which makes things so much easier than the basic Halfords one I normally use. (thanks to @Gutleyfor the recommendation).Q4AeHXq.jpg

How much of a 'refresh' are you doing? 

I recently had a broken front spring and ended up replacing everything. Feels so much tighter (although I do have a squeak/creak!) 

28 minutes ago, Jonners said:

How much of a 'refresh' are you doing? 

Shocks, springs, top mounts, tie rod ends, coffin arms and tuning forks. Changed the drop links and arb bushes about 18 months ago, which was the first time I had ever done any 'significant' work on a car in my life so this refresh is a major undertaking! But as. I am retired I have plenty of time and I've done plenty of research on here and YouTube plus I have the 101 projects book so 🤞

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, red rocket said:

Shocks, springs, top mounts, tie rod ends, coffin arms and tuning forks. Changed the drop links and arb bushes about 18 months ago, which was the first time I had ever done any 'significant' work on a car in my life so this refresh is a major undertaking! But as. I am retired I have plenty of time and I've done plenty of research on here and YouTube plus I have the 101 projects book so 🤞

It was the first major work i've carried out on mine too. 

If you have all the right tools it's relatively straight forward. Have you an impact wrench? Very useful!

10 minutes ago, Jonners said:

Have you an impact wrench?

Yes. One of the first tools I bought when I got the car so I could change wheels between summer/winter. Found it useful when I did the drop links and arb bushes.

Booked her in for painting next week.Front end to sort out the inevitable rash, rear bumper that got damaged in the snow and hopefully she’s going to look gorgeous...