What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

15 minutes ago, kevin450 said:

Steering wheel cover done very happy with it for the price warning OCD person don’t get the centre red band 

https://imgur.com/a/MhSSE88

https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/0.html?spm=a2g0s.9042647.6.2.734d4c4dxRV0LD&orderId=8127545687050079&productId=1005001699421622

New rear led lights fitted as well

19 minutes ago, kevin450 said:

Steering wheel cover done very happy with it for the price warning OCD person don’t get the centre red band 

https://imgur.com/a/MhSSE88

https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/0.html?spm=a2g0s.9042647.6.2.734d4c4dxRV0LD&orderId=8127545687050079&productId=1005001699421622

Looks goodqCkji3v.jpg

pUSMGOt.jpg

Wish I could get one in Grey.

2 minutes ago, red rocket said:

Looks goodqCkji3v.jpg

pUSMGOt.jpg

Wish I could get one in Grey.

You can ask them just set up a chat with them if you have a picture of your requirement they will let you know if they can do it. I have very impressed with dimensions quality for the price. Just takes a few hours to instal the learning curve. But the satisfaction you did it 

20 hours ago, kevin450 said:

Out of interest Kevin, how much did the cover cost and do they do different cars? 

The steering wheel in my Audi S3 is looking a bit tatty and if the price is good its something I might consider.

Rog.

Fixed my annoying driver's door rattle, found the connector and wiring for the door handle micro switch was free to swing around inside the door, a quick cable tie later and it is silent.  Also removed the intermittent window switches and sprayed with isopropanol, now working 100% (thanks to, I think, Paul P for that tip on here, I had been looking at replacement £££).

Edited by Philc
  • Like 1

So, worked on my roof again - funny, as this is kind of what I expected when purchasing a used ragtop car!-)

I found the clamshell rail guide, it was stuck at the end of the rail towards the front of the car (you can't see that with the roof in service position). It had come partly out of the rail and then wedged between the liner and the rail. I managed to free it using a screwdriver and a hammer... Pushed in the right position and connected the clamshell arm.

When closing the roof today I again heard a "pop" right at the end of the roof closing procedure - the clamshell arm went too far and popped out of the guide, just as before. 

It seems that the issue is that the clamshell arm will move too far forward. How to rectify this? 

Edited by Finbox

33 minutes ago, Finbox said:

So, worked on my roof again - funny, as this is kind of what I expected when purchasing a used ragtop car!-)

I found the clamshell rail guide, it was stuck at the end of the rail towards the front of the car (you can't see that with the roof in service position). It had come partly out of the rail and then wedged between the liner and the rail. I managed to free it using a screwdriver and a hammer... Pushed in the right position and connected the clamshell arm.

When closing the roof today I again heard a "pop" right at the end of the roof closing procedure - the clamshell arm went too far and popped out of the guide, just as before. 

It seems that the issue is that the clamshell arm will move too far forward. How to rectify this? 

One side is okay so my guess is alignment.Why would it pop out one side but not the other?Check the ball joint on the side that pops out.

Actually try this..Take the arm of and leave the ball joint in place.Then screw the arm back in until the hole at the other end lines up and connect that end.

good luck 

After an initial brain fade (well i am a novice), which held up removal of the track rod end, mananged to fit new rod end and crack on with removal of other nearside front suspension parts, except the coffin arm which is proving stubborn.

TKW3h4g.jpg

pTPpGgc.jpg

Meantime i have removed the hub carrier and will use the opportunity to clean it up. Had to use spring comprssors to get the damper out (contrary to what is suggested in the 101 projects book). The brake disc is close to needing replacement too but the heads on the screws holding it look a bit mangled from previous use so not sure how to address that.

Back to the coffin arm tomorrow, assemble new damper and spring and hope i can remember where all the other bits go!

Brake disc screws respond to a really firm hit with a hammer and old screwdrivwer before attempting removal. Best to replace screws, but in any case grease helps when refitting disc.

Remember they are only there to locate the disc. Short term, you can locate using a couple of wheel bolts, pump up the brake pedal and then remove the 2 wheel bolts, then fit th ewheel. The brake pad to disc application should make wheel refit easy, and obvs once the wheel is on and bolted up, the small disc screws are irrelevant anyway.

5 hours ago, Roger C said:

Out of interest Kevin, how much did the cover cost and do they do different cars? 

The steering wheel in my Audi S3 is looking a bit tatty and if the price is good its something I might consider.

Rog.

5 hours ago, Roger C said:

Rog.

Hi it cost £36.82 they do all makes and design log into AliExpress it’s a little complicated but basically go on chat with them about your requirements and they will let you know in a couple of days if they can do it for you then order your chat is linked in with the order then 3 to 4 weeks delivery time I was impressed that the seams where spot on with the steering wheel 

9 hours ago, entdgc said:

And even better an impact driver…

+1 on above, Also they are a much better fit for a PH3 tip not the much more common PH2 tip (on wood screws or pan head self tappers etc.) that most people have as their default cross head tip.  Most tip sets have these they are just rarely used so people don't pick them up and use them.

10 hours ago, entdgc said:

And even better an impact driver…

So i've been advised by friends in PCGB 👍Also wondering whether i coukd use a power drill with variable speed settings as my impact wrench is single speed.

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

+1 on above, Also they are a much better fit for a PH3 tip not the much more common PH2 tip (on wood screws or pan head self tappers etc.) that most people have as their default cross head tip.  Most tip sets have these they are just rarely used so people don't pick them up and use them.

Thanks for that. Not sure whether types are marked on the screw bits i have but was in any case planning to look for the one with the best fit, especially as i am concerned not to further damage the heads, given the force applied by an impact wrench. I may end up buying a PH3 bit if necessary and may also use the hammer method suggested by @andygo above. 

55 minutes ago, red rocket said:

So i've been advised by friends in PCGB 👍Also wondering whether i coukd use a power drill with variable speed settings as my impact wrench is single speed.

Thanks for that. Not sure whether types are marked on the screw bits i have but was in any case planning to look for the one with the best fit, especially as i am concerned not to further damage the heads, given the force applied by an impact wrench. I may end up buying a PH3 bit if necessary and may also use the hammer method suggested by @andygo above. 

https://www.halfords.com/tools/hand-tools/screwdrivers-and-hex-keys/halfords-advanced--impact-driver-and-bits-178172.html

I used this type of impact driver not an impact gun.

20 minutes ago, Philc said:

OK, thanks

1 hour ago, Philc said:

Absolutely Impact Driver, not a big heavy Impact Wrench!!!

1 hour ago, Philc said:

I have a very similar one and it has the correct tip in the box to. A very useful tool.

18 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Absolutely Impact Driver, not a big heavy Impact Wrench!!!

👍yep, already figured that and ordered from Halfords.

3 hours ago, Bayernlarge said:

Lights look good @kevin450. Are they the black, smoked chrome, or smoked black versions? They look like the black ones, is that right?

Red clear this is the link 

https://www.porschelights.com/test/porsche-boxstercayman-987-redclear-led-light-bar-rear-tail-lights-with-dynamic-indicators-04-09

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kevin450 said:

I've bookmarked the page. These lights are so tempting but it's replacing something that works perfectly  Hundreds of pounds on a beauty treatment - I'm sure my wife would approve.

13 minutes ago, McDonald said:

Hundreds of pounds on a beauty treatment - I'm sure my wife would approve.

Absolutely, it's only like a day at a spa but you keep the lights for ever, and have a spare set, bargin👍

• Like 1