What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

Heard a funny clunk the last time I opened/closed the roof so opened it up to have a look and found that the small plastic cover that clips on to the arms that raise the rear flap had fallen off and git a bit squashed. Straightened it out and clipped it back in place - hope it stays put! Whilst I was in there I lubed up all the pivots and also cleaned out the drains which were probably clean anyway.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BOB.T said:

Strictly speaking this wasn't today but my genius strawberry milkshake bottle holder needs to be shared! (haven't tested it on other flavours, because I only like strawberry) 

VVgnxKZ.jpg

Another reason why a Boxster is far superior to a 911. Better weight distribution. Can’t stand Stawberry though.

Ive been a busy little boy today, and over the past week. 

Original CDR24 removed and new DD Kenwood fitted. Also added a DAB/FM transmitter, tucked away with a little remote control stuck to the dash; as the DD unit is a very basic one i found in the loft, I tend to listen more to the tunes off my Apple play, through USB.

Also replaced the fan switches as they had gone gummy.

Removed sill protectors and fitted polished metal ones. Old ones were a pig to get off. Porsche use the strongest glue EVERRR!!

Tinted rear lights with fly-eye mesh but i dont like it. Looks too chavvy and Boy racer. Im removing it tomorrow. 

51254458630_fd439e35d3_h.jpg

51252680927_7609f95248_h.jpg

51254156749_d8c7b732f6_h.jpg

51253612038_4c0d253456_h.jpg

51253617193_866030ad17_h.jpg

Not today but at the weekend I was trying to sort out the rear alignment. Just can’t get it anywhere within tolerance after replacing the tuning forks with Spyder ones. I have the H&R lowering springs but only 10mm and it used to get within spec. I’m wondering if after a couple or three years it has dropped a bit more. So I was looking at adjustable rear toe links. Anyone had any experience of these at a reasonable price before I take it somewhere else to try and get an alignment done ?

This topic did start with tuning forks but happy with any other pointers on the subject….. maybe PM me so as not to take over the otherwise interesting thread !

2 hours ago, Buzzlt said:

Not today but at the weekend I was trying to sort out the rear alignment. Just can’t get it anywhere within tolerance after replacing the tuning forks with Spyder ones. I have the H&R lowering springs but only 10mm and it used to get within spec. I’m wondering if after a couple or three years it has dropped a bit more. So I was looking at adjustable rear toe links. Anyone had any experience of these at a reasonable price before I take it somewhere else to try and get an alignment done ?

This topic did start with tuning forks but happy with any other pointers on the subject….. maybe PM me so as not to take over the otherwise interesting thread !

What alignment are you struggling with, just toe or camber and or caster too?  Tuning forks shouldn't have a dramatic effect in themselves on the toe.  Toe link or coffin arms, certainly can.  I assume all 4 eccentric bolts are moving freely when you make adjustments.

Edited by ½cwt

2 hours ago, Buzzlt said:

I have adjustable toe links and my camber still does not come in to recommended figures, you need adjustable coffin arms. Mine is 30mm lower though, 10mm should be no problem

Edited by Tony Daniel

16 hours ago, Sammysmiths said:

Ive been a busy little boy today, and over the past week. 

Original CDR24 removed and new DD Kenwood fitted. Also added a DAB/FM transmitter, tucked away with a little remote control stuck to the dash; as the DD unit is a very basic one i found in the loft, I tend to listen more to the tunes off my Apple play, through USB.

Also replaced the fan switches as they had gone gummy.

Removed sill protectors and fitted polished metal ones. Old ones were a pig to get off. Porsche use the strongest glue EVERRR!!

Tinted rear lights with fly-eye mesh but i dont like it. Looks too chavvy and Boy racer. Im removing it tomorrow. 

51254458630_fd439e35d3_h.jpg

51252680927_7609f95248_h.jpg

51254156749_d8c7b732f6_h.jpg

51253612038_4c0d253456_h.jpg

51253617193_866030ad17_h.jpg

I actually like the look of those tints, although may well look different in the flesh so to speak

On the screen the tint looks quite subtle. Certainly not the full on blacked out look I went for about 20 years ago 🤣

4 hours ago, 2001pt said:

I actually like the look of those tints, although may well look different in the flesh so to speak

On the screen the tint looks quite subtle. Certainly not the full on blacked out look I went for about 20 years ago 🤣

I’ve took them off. They were fly eye mesh so not a full tint , but they just didn’t suit the car. If it was black wheels, black roof then yea they would have looked good, but too boy racer for my taste. 

19 hours ago, Tony Daniel said:

I have adjustable toe links and my camber still does not come in to recommended figures, you need adjustable coffin arms. Mine is 30mm lower though, 10mm should be no problem

We’ll I can get the camber in spec but then the toe is so far out the PSM bugs out. I managed to move both the tuning forks forwards a couple of mm on each side and this has helped a bit. There is a lot of adjustment available but the best I can get is an overall figure of about 10mm toe in. Wherever I set the camber. I’m going to buy some new bolts but they do move OK.

Where/ what toe arms did you get?

There are some on eBay from gravity but unclear if that’s each or for a pair. Now wondering if the rubbers in the cheap coffin arms I replaced 3 or so years ago and about 20k were too cheap !

At least it’s getting a good wash today without my help. The next project is re-proofing the roof. Think I might try something other than Autoglym for a change.

1 hour ago, Buzzlt said:

but the best I can get is an overall figure of about 10mm toe in. Wherever I set the camber. I’m going to buy some new bolts but they do move OK.

10mm??? 

Unless you have bought the wrong tuning forks (987 is different from 986), I'd guess that the problem lies elsewhere. Whilst the tuning forks would affect toe if they were the wrong size, they are non adjustable and so shouldn't. 

Paid my Indy for replacement coffin arms - expensive items! - thank god his labour rate is more than reasonable! Had 4 wheel alignment done a while back after other suspension work, car feels good but should the front geo be checked again?

2 hours ago, penrhos said:

Paid my Indy for replacement coffin arms - expensive items! - thank god his labour rate is more than reasonable! Had 4 wheel alignment done a while back after other suspension work, car feels good but should the front geo be checked again?

I would hope the indy had tracked it before giving it back to you if he change major suspension components...

I generally love the design of the 987.2, but one area I’ve always disliked is the body colored radiator slats on the front bumper; much prefer the open look of the 987.1

So today I finally got around to a temporary colour change to see what it looked like. I’ve previously tried Plastidip on the side vents with not so great results, so this time I thought I’d try my hand a wrapping. Okay, so I’m not going to get a job at Yiannimize 🤣 but I’m pretty happy with the results and I’ll get a proper paint job done at a later date if I decide to keep them black (which I’m already pretty sure will be the case)

Before:

0g5Okd0_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

After:

aF159pz_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

Half way there & getting the hang of how much to stretch / heat & how to best work around the ends which was the hardest part to get a decent result:

P6YsFD9_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

All 4 finished:

A3WnEXQ_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

And happy with the final look:

95o5RLd_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

Close up:

s43faBR_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

Edited by 2001pt
  • Like 2